Interview Request

I know it's kind of weird to post such a request here, but I have a few questions I'd like answered for my website about the South Park: The Stick of Truth videogame. Nothing too fancy, just six questions for an exclusive feature. Unfortunately I never found out how to contact a developer from Obsidian, and THQ wasn't of much help either.

Please let me know if I can send you the interview. I know devs read these forums and I'd really appreciate your help.

Best,

Mike

(1) PM them. (2) Chris Avellone's email, at least, is available somewhere. (3) Sawyer has a formspring and his own blog which might yield details.

Depending on how urgent it is, there is a real physical address you can send a mail to on the privacy page.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It just occurred to me: if obsidian developers were super heroes this is exactly how they would deal with interview request from no-name reporters. Mastermind Avellone is too busy minding his own business. Chocolate voice Sawyer is too busy sweeting up deals. So jobs like this are left to black sidekick: Rib Crusher Nelson.

• Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Still didn't even get an answer though. Doesn't hurt to say "yes" or "no". And @kirottu, I might be a "no-name reporter", but at least, unlike others, am trying to get exclusive content for my website. Of course if I always get a middle finger as an answer, such as yours, it discourages me to even try. I know developers and producers are busy, I'm not stupid, but it doesn't hurt to help someone who's genuinely interested in the development of your videogame project. That's why working with indie devs is so fun; they actually answer your emails and they do care about your coverage. I'm not saying Obsidian doesn't care, but it's kind of a pain to just get in touch with someone, and THQ isn't helping either. All I want is answers, and to be honest I never had trouble before but thanks for letting me understand I'm not worthy of an interview with you guys.

I don't think Kirottu meant such harm by his remark. And he's certainly not in a position to determine whether or not someone is worthy of an interview.

Nelson said he PMed you, give that a check.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Still didn't even get an answer though. Doesn't hurt to say "yes" or "no". And @kirottu, I might be a "no-name reporter", but at least, unlike others, am trying to get exclusive content for my website. Of course if I always get a middle finger as an answer, such as yours, it discourages me to even try. I know developers and producers are busy, I'm not stupid, but it doesn't hurt to help someone who's genuinely interested in the development of your videogame project. That's why working with indie devs is so fun; they actually answer your emails and they do care about your coverage. I'm not saying Obsidian doesn't care, but it's kind of a pain to just get in touch with someone, and THQ isn't helping either. All I want is answers, and to be honest I never had trouble before but thanks for letting me understand I'm not worthy of an interview with you guys.

I think (I hope) Alvin was more laughing there at "Rib Crusher Nelson". Though, it's certainly not fair if you're not getting an answer.

Anyway, the main reason indie devs are easier to talk to is because they have to answer to no one when talking about their games. Developers under a contract however usually have to watch everything they say to prevent reprucussions on side of publisher. In a seemingly heavily marketed game such as South Park, combined with the quite "troubeling" THQ I can imagine this is even more an issue.

Well, that was fun. Few things:

1, As others have said I don't work for Obsidian in anyway, but I'm kinda flattered you would think so highly of me.

2, "No-name" isn't an insult, it is simply stating a fact that you aren't known yet in either good or bad way.

3, You should check your PMs.

4, If you're going to spend time in the internets, you might think of getting slightly thicker skin or better reading comprehension, whichever works for you.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

@GamerQC: Just in case you arent familiar with the shorthand, PM means Private Message. Alvin Nelson, a developer, sent you a private message and you can read that by clicking the little envelope symbol on the top left hand corner of each page, just to the right of your avatar.

I knew about PMs, and I'm sorry if I overreacted. But you'd be slightly traumatized too if you'd worked on past interviews which took months to complete because of communication problems. My only goal is to get this done within a reasonable timeframe. I think now my best plan is to wait for things to unfold, which hopefully will happen. Thanks for the help and comments :yes:

I can only imagine. Good luck and keep us updated. I can't read french, but google translate makes a good job of it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

In the game industry, and actually, in most industries, people who take forever to get in touch with then take forever to finish the interview is pretty common. That doesn't mean you can't be annoyed at it, but on the whole, if you get it finished at all, that itself is something to celebrate. After all, if you're not a major news outlet or something, you aren't doing them any favours, they are you.

Hope it works out eventually though, Chris Avellone's always been good answering questions when he is able in my/others' experience.

It just occurred to me: if obsidian developers were super heroes this is exactly how they would deal with interview request from no-name reporters. Mastermind Avellone is too busy minding his own business. Chocolate voice Sawyer is too busy sweeting up deals. So jobs like this are left to black sidekick: Rib Crusher Nelson.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Looks like it turned out to be pretty bad timing what with Kickstarter - I imagine they're far too busy at the moment.

Maybe, but replying to an email only takes two seconds.

I would imagine they got more emails than just yours waiting for a reply. So, no, it's not just two seconds.

Edited by Flouride

Hate the living, love the dead.

I had an easy day at work today. Only got 40 emails that needed my attention. That is, attention between doing actual work =]

Sadly emails have a tendency to get a quick glance and if they aren't *really* urgent, they get saved to a folder and left to gather dust and cobwebs until such a time as the great spring mailbox clean up takes place (exaggerated a bit). But those days where the emails numbers 100+, only essential stuff, important for whatever is the most pressing project gets attention here and now, the rest gets marked as read and saved for another day.

That being said, I have no idea who you contacted, but if it's any of the people also involved in Project Eternity, you may be out of luck for a bit.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein