The Kickstarter Thread

Tigranes

And they say we're in an economic crisis, while people are shoveling money at kickstarter.

The 2012 market for video games was US$67 billion.

By comparison, Kickstarter earned $119 million in its third year. That's the combined total for everything, including games. It's about 0.2% of the video game market, so people are using a really small shovel. Maybe a trowel? :)

Where did I say I absolved the plebs of the sin of buying 67 billion dollars worth of bad games?

They're all guilty of crapping gold bars in these difficult times.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Want more Road Rash? Fund "Road Redemption"!

Edit: Oh wow, just one extra bit of info revealed that this Kickstarter could raise up controversy. The creator of the original Road Rash games *is* planning a Kickstarter, but this isn't it. In fact, the proper Road Rash kickstarter should come up within a month. I wonder how this'll turn out.

Geisler's game looks far superior, comparing the alpha/prototype/whatever footages of both projects

Edited by Nordicus
  • Like 1

Haha! Planet Explorers will apparently have hovercraft. eg, we'll be able to build them and then fly around the world. Since there are flying creatures, maybe we can have aerial combat too. Even if we can't, flying sure beats "fast travel" for fun. What they show in the video is a crude physics test example, but yeah.... this could be good.

$15+ backers will get to play around with it in Alpha 0.6. I really have to learn how to use the build editor better...

LC, does this project get your full approval?  I'm thinking about chipping in since they are rathe close to their goal.

My full approval? Yes. It's not in the same kind of approval realm as me pledging to Project Eternity, but if you like this style of game (sandbox, open/vast, building, creating, exploration), I'd say it's at least worth the $15 to see a few of the alpha versions as they progress. I went up to $95. I've been reading/occasionally posting on their forums and I like what I've read over there/their response to input, too.

I would fully stress that this is somewhat of a niche gameplay sort of game, but it's potential as such is high, especially if they improve the non-sandbox/item creation elements in story-mode, which they're planning on doing.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The creator of the original Road Rash games *is* planning a Kickstarter, but this isn't it. In fact, the proper Road Rash kickstarter should come up within a month. I wonder how this'll turn out.

From that article is a video of a 2006 Road Rash game that never saw the light of day:

****!  How did this never see the light of day?  That looks ****ing rad as ****!

Anyway, I definitely want a new Road Rash game.  I have so many great memories with that game.  Yellow stripin' it through sick traffic at 200 mph is the greatest.  I hope at least one of these projects actually gets made.  I don't know if I can support them financially, but I'll get the word out.  It's the least I can do.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I am not sure that that video is really from a game.  It says it's a previsualization, which gives me the impression that it's some sort of concept video a guy made.

Fair enough.  It's a rad as **** concept.  Someone needs to make it a reality.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I don't quite remember what Road Rash title it was, but I used to play one for Windows ages ago, when I was probably too young for a game like that ahahah. I don't remember much about it, but I remember having fun, so I hope both Road Rash-like Kickstarters do well. Don't know if I'd want to back them tho'.

Here's one I happened to notice: Afterdark: When Heroes Become Legends

Afterdark is a beat’em up game for PC and mobile platforms, it takes place in a world of gothic horror where heroes battle the darkness

Napalm Studio is proud to launch, on Kickstarter, Afterdark, an audacious project that aspires to “resurrect” the beat’em up genre style of gameplay. Our goal is to extract the best features from the Unity 3D engine, so that we can deliver a top notch release which has excellent gameplay but at the same time features beautiful artwork and in-depth storytelling.

No word yet on the roll flying toasters will play.

EDITed for capitalization.

Edited by babaganoosh13

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

This one I simply can't believe Kickstarter would let fly. No, this Rick Bruns guy may not technically be doing anything illegal. But let's be honest, this wants to place high scores of largely illegal downloads. Either Kickstarter is drastically lowering their standards to use this to make the Susan Wilson one seem fantastic in comparison, or this is something the FBI must be trying to do to catch stupid people who play illegal roms.

Also...

Telepath Tactics is a few hundred dollars short of it's extra branch in the main quest stretch goal. I might be reading it wrong, but will that choice limit what quests you receive?

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

According to laws of many countries in the world. If you posses the original cartridge of a console game, you are legally allowed to download ROMs from anywhere in the internet world... so he is not doing anything illegal...

He is also stating it in his kickstarter...

NOTE: The ROM's for these games will NOT be distributed with this project; however the internet is vast and all-knowing and no doubt your search will be rewarded.  If you do acquire ROM's for the competition cartridges after the emulator has launched, please be sure to own the physical carts of the games contained within those competitions - none of which are individually rare or hard to come by.

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Please be sure to own the incredibly rare demo units of cartridges that were typically never released for sale to the general public eh?

I know two people that collect SNES games at work and dispute the notion that the games are not individually rare or hard to come by.  In his own kickstarter he says

"Basically if one wants to acquire any of these cartridges they'd be hard-pressed to find them, let alone afford them.  Following is a list of the rarity and value of the cartridges mentioned above."

The Star Fox one is the cheapest at $500.

Fine, if you possess the original cartridge of a console game you can play downloaded ROMs.  Unfortunately, you're not playing the original cartridge game.  I've only actually played the Starfox one, and given that I was a Starfox pro when it came out, I learned very quickly that it was NOT just the same Starfox game but on a timer.  (I still broke 80,000 points and got my free T-Shirt though!).

The prices listed are another thing, but the creator of the software should not be blamed for ill-behaviour of his customers...

The prices listed are another thing, but the creator of the software should not be blamed for ill-behaviour of his customers...

He's making software that requires ROMs of cartridges that were never sold to the public....

He better make sure he makes zero dollars for his efforts.

That defense didn't work for guys that made Napster and ran sites like the pirate bay.

But that excuse/defense work very well for american weapon industry, isn't it? :p

Planet Explorers made funding today, with 5 more days to add a little gravy on top. I am pleased. Now just have to wait for the next alpha version.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Some interesting discussion at the Codex  on kickstarter related issues. It's primarily related to Expeditions: Conquistador and them picking up BitComposter as a publisher but it is worth a read, features Vault Dweller, someone from LoEisenwald and a guy from BitComposer on his own time. Their 'Kickstarter Drama' news thread is also worth a read, though much of it has been more or less covered in the Shadowrun thread here.

***For anyone unfamiliar with the Codex be aware that there may be bad language and people who make you feel stupid andor despair for the future of the human race. Discretion and an ability not to Take Things Too Seriously always advised*** though the linked thread is almost entirely fine on those regards.

[edit: specifically, go forward in the pages from the linked p25 to avoid any tardery]

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1

That defense didn't work for guys that made Napster and ran sites like the pirate bay.

But that excuse/defense work very well for american weapon industry, isn't it? :p

You forgot to mention Hitler

• Like 1

Zoraptor, thank you for reminding me that I am justified in not liking the Codex!

Also, in general I found it interesting to hear the talk from the BitComposter chap.

EDIT: I have to admit though, I was too afraid to go before page 25.  What exactly did Logic Artists do?

EDIT2: Looks extra delays and a probably Steam release, as well as general misinformation.

I find it interesting.  I haven't given a single cent away that I was not 100% perfectly okay with never, ever seeing any return on my contribution.  A larger part of me doesn't feel too sorry for the people raging up a storm.

Edited by alanschu

You forgot to mention Hitler

Actually for Hitler his excuses did not worked out very well, did they? ;)

EDIT: I have to admit though, I was too afraid to go before page 25. 

There isn't much offensive in the thread, IIRC- though given the subject of the game there's a fair bit of Edginess whenever it comes up- mainly there was a very long, very pointless and very boring back and forth immediately prior. 

I find it interesting.  I haven't given a single cent away that I was not 100% perfectly okay with never, ever seeing any return on my contribution.  A larger part of me doesn't feel too sorry for the people raging up a storm.

I've regularly gone for digital tier rewards on a 4GB monthly plan, so I pretty much regard anything contributed as a gift, which I may get reciprocated at some vague point in the future. A lot of people contribute to such things on the principle of the matter though, whether it be no publishers, DRM free or whatever and they will be upset if their principles get betrayed. If I'd contributed to Expeditions I'd probably be peeved mightily at the delay and the reasons for it, and be very suspicious of the 'unsolicited' addition of MP; but I don't fundamentally care about using BC to get onto Steam (so long as it doesn't mean Everyone Gets to Benefit!!!, I think at this point everyone understands wanting to circumvent the Greenlight Lottery) and I'm willing to cut them some slack on the other issues. OTOH, I'd want a refund from HBS, as I don't see them as having either much integrity or much competence by this point.

I think you have to approach it this way. Kickstarter is not a store; its the equivalent of having some inventor pitch you - the wealthy investor - about their new plan. Maybe it'll be the new light bulb. Maybe it'd be the new Radithor. You won't know unless it gets backed and you either win big or lose what you invested.

I try to hedge my bets by supporting people who've delivered something before (even if they were work-for-hire chaps) but I understand crap happens and even the safe bets have risk.

I have no problem with delays so long as the project is upfront with them and not trying to hide them until the last minute.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man