The Kickstarter Thread

Tigranes

The End of an Age: Early Remnants

It has an early-Ultima look with decent, blocky graphics.

Not sure how serious to take it with such a low funding goal though.

15 pounds for what looks like an RPG Maker game? Wow! This guy is charging $1-$4 for his. That one by the students I think is really to go help buy new computers or something. An okay work around IMHO.

I mean, come on. I paid $3 (regular price) for the Zeboyd Games combo of Breath of Death 7, and Cthulhu Saves the World. They charge $5 for Penny Arcade's Rain Slick 3 where two groups need to get paid. If the story looks really good and long with original music, I could see maybe spending $10 to Kickstart it. But goodness, it's a 16 bit-like hobby game (I hope it's a hobby [or something one had done while unemployed,] and not something one quit their job to do). Thanks to programs such as RPG Maker, they're nice and relatively easy to do.

EDIT: I'm not sure about the program Zeboyd uses, but it's not RPG Maker.

Edited by babaganoosh13

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

15 pounds for what looks like an RPG Maker game? Wow! This guy is charging $1-$4 for his. That one by the students I think is really to go help buy new computers or something. An okay work around IMHO.

Thanks for the enlightenment. :)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Thanks for the enlightenment. :)

Not a problem. :)

I mean, the guy has probably spent a lot of time on it. It might be one of the stronger ones that come out for an RPG Maker game. But $23 (converted) for just the game?

His Steam Greenlight page has been up since the new year. There is a demo there.

EDIT: Added Steam link, and below comment

--------

His risks and challenges at the bottom of the Kickstarter seems weird to me

The main risk obviously is getting the project done. As the overall one is soo huge. Still the time already invested and the story already set out gives me direction for when I get lost. The other problem is not be able to do (in software) what I want to. This can be overcame through people I know who know about these things. The thing is that I really feel as though this needs to be done. Just one last time before real RPG's are out in the cold for good. And that sadness drives me that every, day, hour, minute, second, I spend on the game the hope of something like the old days being created is still alive. It's got to be worth doing. And though I shouldn't say this. I'll get this done (no where near to the standard I could) without the money at any rate as that's how much I believe in this.

I'd swear I've seen more of these games now, than ever. Even during the 16-bit days.

Edited by babaganoosh13

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/104095/frozen-sword

It's like the good version of that 9 year old kid making an rpg thing... except this guy works in a really rubbish school, and is getting the kids (from bad backgrounds) to get involve by making a computer game... and at the same time providing new computers that could be used by the school to make this a regular thing.

Probably a scam somehow.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/104095/frozen-sword

It's like the good version of that 9 year old kid making an rpg thing... except this guy works in a really rubbish school, and is getting the kids (from bad backgrounds) to get involve by making a computer game... and at the same time providing new computers that could be used by the school to make this a regular thing.

I would rather see teachers using www.donorschoose.org for something like this.  I am concerned about the open ended funding aspect of Kickstarter in a public education setting.  There are also so many fundraising opportunities for students to utilize to raise money, so how invested are the students?  Are they doing car washes, selling cookie dough?

Shovel Knight is down to just over 2 days left.  The campaign has done really well, and it looks like they may even hit all their stretch goals. As a fan of anything and anyone associated with WayForward (Yacht Club Games is made up of people that worked at WayForward) I'm really excited about this game.  These folks really know how to do 8/16-bit era sprites, chiptunes, and 2D platforming goodness.  This game looks like the offspring of Mega Man, Castlevania, and Duck Tales, and has a nice low entry point ($10 for Steam Win/Mac/Linux version).  Count me in!

Edit: Youtube links, Y U NO SHOW UP AS EMBEDDED VIDEOS?

tumblr_l96b01l36p1qdhmifo1_500.jpg

Also, I COMMAND you to go to Steam and vote for this on Greenlight.  Yes, that means you.  Go on, don't keep looking at this post, get over to Steam and vote.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Pretty sure they used to. It probably disappeared around the same time this retarded quote system, which makes depyramiding a colossal pain in the bottom, debuted. I

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

A fantasy book by Neal Hallford (the writer of Betrayal at Krondor and Dungeon Siege): http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nealhallford/the-thief-of-dreams-from-the-writer-of-betrayal-at

Hrm, Dungeon Siege was not exactly high prose, and Krondor was based in another author's universe.  I'm skeptical about this project.  I'd be more likely to back him writing for a game than a book, tbh. 

• Like 1

It's because your link is https, not http. I believe the "s" = secure server, which isn't necessary/desirable (I guess) for forum YT embedding. Remove the s from the address line.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

And they say we're in an economic crisis, while people are shoveling money at kickstarter.

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

And they say we're in an economic crisis, while people are shoveling money at kickstarter.

The 2012 market for video games was US$67 billion.

By comparison, Kickstarter earned $119 million in its third year. That's the combined total for everything, including games. It's about 0.2% of the video game market, so people are using a really small shovel. Maybe a trowel? :)

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Haha! Planet Explorers will apparently have hovercraft. eg, we'll be able to build them and then fly around the world. Since there are flying creatures, maybe we can have aerial combat too. Even if we can't, flying sure beats "fast travel" for fun. What they show in the video is a crude physics test example, but yeah.... this could be good.

$15+ backers will get to play around with it in Alpha 0.6. I really have to learn how to use the build editor better...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Haha! Planet Explorers will apparently have hovercraft. eg, we'll be able to build them and then fly around the world. Since there are flying creatures, maybe we can have aerial combat too. Even if we can't, flying sure beats "fast travel" for fun. What they show in the video is a crude physics test example, but yeah.... this could be good.

$15+ backers will get to play around with it in Alpha 0.6. I really have to learn how to use the build editor better...

LC, does this project get your full approval?  I'm thinking about chipping in since they are rathe close to their goal.