The Kickstarter Thread

Tigranes

Telepath Tactics - Fire Emblem style strategy RPG for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

They immediately got my attention when they invoked the name "Fire Emblem", which is one of my favorite series, on account of being awesome.  On top of that, the project has a low entry point ($10) and a playable demo.

/downloads demo

8)

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's not a game, but the Veronica Mars Movie Project reached its funding goal within 11 hours. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

What's curious is that if you Google "veronica mars kickstarter", the actual Kickstarter link was back on page 20! Things that make you go hmm...

I guess the search engine hasn't caught up with all the cross-links yet.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Salon have an interesting take on the Veronica Mars/ Kickstarter phenomenon that is also of some relevance when it comes to Garriott's SoTA.

http://www.salon.com/2013/03/13/the_captialist_veronica_mars_movie/

There an argument about the merits of already very wealthy individuals (RG) or large and profitable corporations (WB) using KS as almost risk free fund raising.

The Salon writer's interesting take is that regardless of whether it is cynical (and mostly yes there), this may become the model that allows passionate but relatively small fan bases to get the attention of content providers to start making non-mainstream niche content. 

This looks to have become established in gaming KS campaigns you could argue that SoTA or the Molyneux's Populous are going to become more the norm.  I suspect someone in EA/BW is already workshopping the merits of a KS campaign for more Shepard / Mass Effect content where one of the stretch goals may be 5 different coloured endings.

Seriously though, I hope that these sort of campaigns don't start to crowd out the funding for interesting indies.

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

@AwesomeOcelot,

Fair comments and for the most part I agree, especially the bit about undeserving big corps. 

However the article makes the interesting point that crowd based funding may work to get more niche content produced by the big corps who own the rights to said content, then perhaps it isn't such a bad thing.  Its that last part that I'm undecided but the concept is worth thinking about.

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

Civatas' entire project amounts to: Do you hate EA and want SimCity? Give us your moneyz!

They do have a video with some terraforming example or something. And their last update mentioned they're working on a better KS front page with video/information. I think it is a "real" KS, but their cred is definitely lacking...and they did a really poor/rushed job of doing a KS campaign. Like, they woke up one morning and decided to "do this" with barely any forethought at all. :disguise:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Civatas' entire project amounts to: Do you hate EA and want SimCity? Give us your moneyz!

They do have a video with some terraforming example or something. And their last update mentioned they're working on a better KS front page with video/information. I think it is a "real" KS, but their cred is definitely lacking...and they did a really poor/rushed job of doing a KS campaign. Like, they woke up one morning and decided to "do this" with barely any forethought at all. :disguise:

Oops, NVM. They cancelled their KS, even tho it seemed like they had a good shot to at least reach their funding goal....supposedly because they found their own private backing. Claim it'll still be made/released, DRM free, the backers won't compromise what they want to do etc. But yeah....ok. That's kinda weird or maybe a backhanded ploy....or good luck for them. Whatever your perspective. 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Battle Worlds: Kronos - Turn-based strategy revisited

The classic turn-based strategy – exciting, involved gaming that calls for long-term planning, clever tactics, transparent rules and tough decisions – is making a comeback. Many gamers may have seen and enjoyed recent examples of great turn-based gaming, but might not be aware of classics like Battle Isle or Advance Wars. Have you ever wondered what games of that calibre would look like today?

The classic turn-based strategy – exciting, involved gaming that calls for long-term planning, clever tactics, transparent rules and tough decisions – is making a comeback. Many gamers may have seen and enjoyed recent examples of great turn-based gaming, but might not be aware of classics like Battle Isle or Advance Wars. Have you ever wondered what games of that calibre would look like today?

Sounds fairly interesting. I'll wait for a couple of updates to see the big picture better and then decide whether I eat my words about not participating on KS for a while or not.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

It's not a game, but the Veronica Mars Movie Project reached its funding goal within 11 hours. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

What's curious is that if you Google "veronica mars kickstarter", the actual Kickstarter link was back on page 20! Things that make you go hmm...

I guess the search engine hasn't caught up with all the cross-links yet.

Not that I was going to back in the first place, but:

"·    Kickstarter campaign and rewards fulfillment limited to U.S. and Canada. "

Meh.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

advance wars is a classic now? that game isn't that old.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Booted up my GOG.com Master of Magic yesterday, and got to wishing someone would basically make the exact same game with a fresh coat of paint and add a bit of map improvements. Looked up possible stuff and found these guys. Supposedly their Master of Magic type game is going to get a kickstarter campaign in what looks like the next month or two. The concept art looks promising.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Planet Explorers

A sci-fi Minecraft with the ability to construct vehicles as well

Homeworld Kickstarter makes its goal

The company that wants to buy the Homeworld IP in the final round of THQ IP auctions managed to pass its Kickstarter goal. They're promising refunds if they don't get the IP, but still not sure if I trust them with it.

EDIT:

The Big Blue

Spiritual successor to Ecco the Dolphin, from the franchise's creator

Edited by TSBasilisk

Telepath Tactics - Fire Emblem style strategy RPG for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

They immediately got my attention when they invoked the name "Fire Emblem", which is one of my favorite series, on account of being awesome.  On top of that, the project has a low entry point ($10) and a playable demo.

/downloads demo

8)

That damn 9 year old made me miss this.

Backing as soon as I get my paycheck.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

They cancelled my moonbase

That's too bad. It seemed an ambitious project.

Edit: I needz moah KS's like this one: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/854870933/worlds-most-super-amazing-100-awesome-cat-calendar :biggrin:

Edited by LadyCrimson