The Kickstarter Thread

Tigranes

I actually miss code wheels.  The last game I bought with a code wheel was Ankh 2, and I think they did that as a joke more than anything.

Ah, the good ol' code wheel:

starflight_wheel.jpg

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Kickstarter in a nutshell.

Not really, these video's are funny and we have seen some failed KS projects but the reality is also that KS does offer a real financial model for developers to get games funded outside the normal Publisher model.

Lets not become cynical and jaded with  KS so soon :)

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The team that ran an IndieGoGo campaign to buy Homeworld is now running a Kickstarter campaign

If they need money to buy the rights to the game, I don't think they can manage HW3. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up slapping the HW name on their WIP project and posted the old games to an online distributor to milk the IP. And all off the donations of HW fans. :getlost:

Although I do admit, anybody who buys the IP would be a dipdunk if they didn't try and re-release the games through GoG or similar.

---

Bloom: Memories

Isometric RPG with an interesting mechanic and story.  Color me intrigued...

Matt Barton: Untitled

:lol:

...omg I lost it. Where do I sign?? ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Doesn't look good for Project Awakened.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Victory by Petroglyph Games, another studio with unsurpassed RTS pedigree (C&C, Red Alert, Red Alert 2 are definitely in my top 10 fav RTS). They say it's not a RTS because it has no base building or resource management. It has in-game currency and levelling for more powerful units which I'm not a fan of in multiplayer games. Do people actually want this? I'm not sure. Frank Klepacki soundtrack, definitely want more of that.

Victory: Now with gameplay video. Not going to lie, this seems pretty uninspired. Setting is WWII, art style is realism, gameplay is very familiar. Why would someone play this over Dawn of War II or Company of Heroes 2?

Also Death Inc. did not get funded. After playing the demo, completed it after twice running into a game breaking bug, I'm not sure the control scheme was ever going to work, and it was solving a problem that didn't really exist. Was it really superior to Starcraft 2's control system in anyway? No. I liked the concept and the art style a lot, but I don't really think they ever demonstrated they could deliver enjoyable gameplay mechanics.

I haven't seen this one here, so I thought I'd share.

Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey

Less than three days to go.

Get in on this, like, right now.

Old news, and why right now - it's funded already.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Old news, and why right now - it's funded already.

Because they can always use more monnehs. PE was funded pretty quickly yet people kept pledging till it got to almost 4 million, and the game is going to be better for it. *shrug*

runner.jpg

Hey, I just backed you,

and this is crazy,

but here's my money,

so stretch goal maybe?

No need for any urgency. I guess the promise of a game between TLJ and Dreamfall wasn't enough.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

No need for any urgency. I guess the promise of a game between TLJ and Dreamfall wasn't enough.

Well that's kinda silly. It's a sequel and it's a part of the TLJ series. What would you have it be, a racing simulator? Besides, I haven't seen them describe it as "a game between TLJ and Dreamfall" anywhere.

runner.jpg

Hey, I just backed you,

and this is crazy,

but here's my money,

so stretch goal maybe?

Dreamfall Chapters will likely reach the 1.5 million stretch goal, but I'd be surprised if they made the 1.75 goal and downright shocked if they made the 2 mil goal.  I'd love for them to prove me wrong, though. (about not reaching 1.75 or 2 mil)

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Well that's kinda silly. It's a sequel and it's a part of the TLJ series. What would you have it be, a racing simulator? Besides, I haven't seen them describe it as "a game between TLJ and Dreamfall" anywhere.

It was the 2 million goal. Where did I say I wanted it to be a racing simulator ? No need for urgency like the QFG one where it came relatively down to the wire.

It's for the best that the 2 million goal will not be reached. Keep the Dreamfall team as far away from the original Longest journey as possible.

They said the game won't have any combat or stealth like Dreamfall had, which is what annoyed me the most about it. It's pretty much going to be a pure adventure game.

runner.jpg

Hey, I just backed you,

and this is crazy,

but here's my money,

so stretch goal maybe?

From: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63262-torment-tides-of-numenera/?p=1314609

Those pledging on Kickstarter is always going to be a smaller, activist crowd. When these Kickstarted games start showing up on Steam, GamersGate, et.c., that's when we will see the real sales.

Yes I know.

But people still frequently use the numbers of kickstarter crowd as evidence that it's not niche (because apparently being niche is bad?).  At best you can't conclude anything.

It's also important to note that based on the kickstarter numbers alone, that's an immediate 70 thousand sales that won't show up post release, without even counting that some of the higher tiers end up receiving multiple copies of games.  Which is fine, but it's easy to let one's enthusiasm for a project conclude that the project itself will be exceptionally successful as well.

Even if the games sell a couple hundred thousand (which I would consider a pretty great success), I'd still consider the target audience to be quite niche.

Edited by alanschu