The Kickstarter Thread

Tigranes

Some recent interesting projects:

Maia, a sci-fi colony management simulator/god game inspired by games like Theme Hospital and Dungeon Keeper

Sui Generis, a promising RPG

Starforge, a Minecraft-inspired game mixed with FPS

Sir, You Are Being Hunted, a stealth/survival game in a procedurally-generated world

Spud's Quest, a retro puzzle/platform inspired in classics like the Dizzy series

And 2 gamebooks (a "choose your own aventure" book):

Maelorum

Arcana Agency: The Thief of Memories

Edited by gandalf.nho
huntress.jpg

Was Kickstarter as prevalent as it is now prior to say Wasteland 2/Double Fine Adventure? Certainly seems to be quite saturated now.

No.

Double Fine is what really got it rolling.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well, since Kickstarter launched a UK branch:

David Braben turning to Kickstarter for new Elite game

Can't say I'm too thrilled about the multiplayer bit, but curious to see what he comes up with as a pitch. X2 is currently scratching that itch for me, but the old Elite will always have a special place in my memories... *hums Blue Danube while trying to do a parking maneuvre*

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Can't say I'm too thrilled about the multiplayer bit, but curious to see what he comes up with as a pitch. X2 is currently scratching that itch for me, but the old Elite will always have a special place in my memories... *hums Blue Danube while trying to do a parking maneuvre*

All we need now is Freespace and the holy trinity is complete.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I understand that this may not exactly be something this forum might have a taste for, but these guys are alumni of my school and I'd really like to see them succeed, so if you dig flying cars and intense action, you might want to check out Distance, by some of the guys who made Nitronic Rush:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1857884659/distance-a-next-generation-arcade-racer

Was Kickstarter as prevalent as it is now prior to say Wasteland 2/Double Fine Adventure? Certainly seems to be quite saturated now.

I read somewhere that thanks to the first big gaming kickstarters DFA & W2, gaming projects on there have managed to get 20 more funds than before. The big kickstarters have really made a difference.

Sui Generis, a promising RPG

This looks like really promising tech, not sure if they can make a good game, but the demo in terms of physics, lighting, and content creation looks a step above everything else in terms of isometric games. Graphically, the game already looks great, the rain and sky are amazing, they've gone for realism and they've succeeded. Combat doesn't look good, animation looks like Octodad, it's probably a mistake to be a slave to the physics engine in terms of gameplay and animation. Wasn't impressed by the soundtrack at all, it was really tame and generic.

I second the interest in Sui Generis.

I am not a giant fan of real-time combat and would love if this game employed turn-based combat or gave the ability to pause during fighting to allow for issuing commands (parry, dodge, lunge, chop, thrust, etc.) rather than being a clickfest. That said, the graphics are gorgeous, and the plot and concept unique enough that I would risk carpel tunnel to play it. :)

Has to get approved by a Kickstarter staffer before it goes properly live and start taking cash, but all the details about the Hero U Kickstarter are available: http://www.kickstart...?token=e777beb1

For those unenlightened, it's Corey and Lori Ann Cole's successor to their Quest for Glory games.

Yeah, this one is awesome, and like SpaceVenture, even if they vanish with hundreds of my dollars it will have been worth it for bringing me Quest for Glory. Of course, they won't... they're really serious about making it a good experience.

New awesome updates, though... Linux support announced, and the port will be done by Corey himself (to not affect the budget at all)!!

Also a great update regarding the design and art direction, to assuage fears that it won't live up to backer's standards (I think it's looking freaking awesome).

Lastly, a more detailed update about what kind of CRPG it is that Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption is going to be (love the title, personally).

I really hope that some other RPG fans will take a look (and at least talk about it with their friends & gaming group even if they aren't interested personally)... the project's funding needs a swift kick in the rear to get going!

name='Gorth' timestamp='1352171462' post='1271515']

[/u]

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

Here is KS link around this game, it does looks promising.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Looks like, there will be again games, which are worth of my time on the PC after more than 5 years of waiting...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

http://www.kickstart...elite-dangerous

Here is KS link around this game, it does looks promising.

Thanks for the link :thumbsup:

I agree that parts of it sounds promising, but I worry about the constant talk about multiplayer.

Singleplayer is what interests me and effort spent on parts of no interest to me, detracts from overall expectations.

"Waiter, there are multiplayer bits in my soup, please take it back the kitchen and complain to the chef!". :)

With 50 days still to go, I'll keep an eye on it for a while. The more multiplayer focused it sounds, the more I'll lose interest though.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Thorvalla

Pledged $15.

That's embarrassing, don't call yourself a legendary computer game designer. I know Guido Henkel has been a developer on many great games, but I don't really know his role in most of them. Neal Hallford on the other hand, those games in terms of writing don't fill me with confidence. The development studio, G3 Studios, only creates mobiles games that don't look good or original. Going to have to give this one a miss. I can't see this succeeding where Brenda Brathwaite and Tom Hall failed.

Star Citizen needs to stop spamming the updates. Give me a daily breakdown on stretch goals met or something.

It's a shame this thread is limited to video games, because there's one where a guy will lithograph an entire book onto a T-shirt (in the form of an image made up of the entire text of said book,) for you. Came with the reccomendation of Neil Gaiman. Too bad I can't link it. It's already nearly doubled its goal anyway, so I guess that's ok.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

It's a shame this thread is limited to video games, because there's one where a guy will lithograph an entire book onto a T-shirt (in the form of an image made up of the entire text of said book,) for you. Came with the reccomendation of Neil Gaiman. Too bad I can't link it. It's already nearly doubled its goal anyway, so I guess that's ok.

Wow, thats ingenious. Great idea :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela