The Kickstarter Thread

Tigranes

Since we have a lot of kickstarters these days maybe we can pool it together and alert each other to the more interesting of the moneygrubbers. Obviously, currently we have a thread on Expeditions: Conquitador (Kickstarter: http://www.kickstart...ns-conquistador)

Also looking interesting is, as spotted on RPS (http://www.rockpaper...l-funding-push/): Chivalry, a Source engine multiplayer medieval melee combat FPS. Not exactly down the RPG alley but seems interesting nonetheless, we're still far from having games that do this well (Mount & Blade having turned out a bit different). Kickstarter here: http://www.kickstart...edieval-warfare

God I hate the new linking rules.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Let me shamelessly plug my Codex preview of Expeditions: Conquistador. It's got 4 days to go and looks like it'll make it, though I really think they need the first stretch goal.

Broken Sword 5 kickstarter has been up for a while apparently.

I have mixed feelings about this. BS 1 and 2 were my favorite games for a long while when I was a gaming noob. BS3 was perhaps the game I anticipated the most, ever. And it was colossal ****. I was so angry with Revolution I didn't even look at BS4.

On the plus side BS5 will be (since its raised the goal) 2D, hand drawn. On the other hand, I don't trust Cecil to deliver. The man took a dump on everything good he ever made with BS3 with its brain dead puzzles and crate constant crate pushing.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Let me shamelessly plug my Codex previewof Expeditions: Conquistador. It's got 4 days to go and looks like it'll make it, though I really think they need the first stretch goal.

You might have already read this, maybe not. Jonas W

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Cool, where's that from?

Of course preview builds will see a lot more improvement, but I can't preview what I don't see, and there's no guarantee that everything I (or anyone else) don't like will be changed. E.g. I didn't hold them to account for any bugs, since it looked pretty clear that most bugs were from missing features, etc. But my major criticism was about character building, and seeing as how they have stretch goals for things like passive abilities, it's safe to say with the $70k they wouldn't add those things. In other cases, like the writing, it's pretty likely they won't change (though I thought the writing was fine). I did knock them for the ridiculous world map icons, then found out they were placeholders, so that's my bad.

I think Kickstarter changes the dynamic here, as well - in a normal preview you can be optimistic, then in a later preview/review tell readers that the game delivered or not. Here, people will be voting with their wallets on the basis of this preview and other information. Nevertheless, I felt that based on what I saw the game will turn out a good one, which is why I backed it and said it's worth backing.

Anyway, they have now hit 70k and have edited the stretch goals so 80k would be enough to see them add passive abilities. I'd really like to see them get that, I think there's a good chance.

Anyway, they have now hit 70k and have edited the stretch goals so 80k would be enough to see them add passive abilities. I'd really like to see them get that, I think there's a good chance.

It may not be Seven Cities of Gold, but it looks promising. I just put $100 where my mouth is :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

But my major criticism was about character building, and seeing as how they have stretch goals for things like passive abilities, it's safe to say with the $70k they wouldn't add those things.

Yeah, I think Jonas is evading the issue a bit. You criticized the game's combat and character development for being somewhat bland, and honestly I find it unlikely they're going to change the systems substantially at this point. That sounds like a significant flaw in a tactical game, so it's only natural Jonas wasn't 100% satisfied with your preview. ;)

(To be honest I was waiting for your preview to decide whether I should back the game or not, and after reading it I decided against it despite your recommendation. So there's that.)

There is a gaming god Sword of Fargoal 2 :w00t:

Courtesy of Gamebanshee.

One of my all time favourite 8 bit dungeon crawlers, next to Temple of Apshai. Numerous late nights and time that should have been spent studying was spent on exploring, fighting and dying.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hopefully this means that any money troubles Obsidian may have been having are well and truly over now. It must be a fun day at the office :biggrin: . It's crazy how quickly the counter is climbing, they made a few thousand just while I was writing this.

Edited by Serrano

can we discuss Eternity here? I don't want to go to its dedicated forum...

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Hopefully this means that any money troubles Obsidian may have been having are well and truly over now. It must be a fun day at the office :biggrin: . It's crazy how quickly the counter is climbing, they made a few thousand just while I was writing this.

They've made, as of 11.09 GMT on 15th September...

$854,499

pledged of $1,100,000 goal

That's in just over a day, right? They should have enough money by the middle of next week, and then enough to maybe get some Krispy Kremes for the QA goblins too.

sonsofgygax.JPG

And the $5000 tier is sold out, could be an opportunity to introduce an alternative perk at that contribution level too...

(And more broadly, about a quarter to a third of the limited $1k+ contributions have been taken up which seems a fair chunk)

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Hey, you know what? For ten years I've been listening to tards from the big publishers telling me that this type of game was dead, and that there was no appetite for it. Kickstarter is turning gaming into more of what I would call a 'Big Cottage' industry, with outrageous stuff like plurality and diversity and customer input.

Who'da Thunk It?

BTW...

$861,744

:ban:

sonsofgygax.JPG

919,786 baby

I want this game, like, yesterday

If you screw it up I'll never play one of your games again... my stapler,where's my stapler

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.