Xcom

Not this fan. Sorry, it's all doom and gloom. You can of course join us in our despair or give in to resignation. A real x-com game is something that will never come again.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

You've probably already heard of it Gorth but Xenonaughts may be more up your alley. They released a playable demo when they did their kickstarter and it's looking good.

They talk the talk. Unfortunately trying the 'alpha' demo is only an option if you pre-order the game. Sort of a catch 22 ;)

Recent violence against X-Com and Jagged Alliance has left me with very little expectations. If the Carmageddon Reincarnation project fizzles, then it is indeed time to build a mausoleum for great games :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well if you're at all curious you can get the public alpha demo they released during their Kickstarter from here, It's the same link that the mod team linked to (and still have linked) on their kickstarter page so it's a fairly out-of-date version but still playable enough to get a taste of the game.

Edited by Serrano

If it's indeed available to the unwashed masses, then I'm willing to give it a try :)

I don't know how you can have doom and gloom when you hear Firaxis is doing a new Xcom with turn based combat and the same strategic elements form the original. It sounds perfect, and everything they've shown so far looks perfect. I've had this pre-ordered from the day it was announced.

Firaxis has consistently managed to bring Civilization into the next generation, and they've already successfully updated Pirates. This is about the best shot we are going to get at a new good Xcom game.

Firaxis has consistently managed to bring Civilization into the next generation, and they've already successfully updated Pirates. This is about the best shot we are going to get at a new good Xcom game.

Are we talking about the Firaxis that introduced QTE's and dancing mini-games to Pirates! ? :bat:

I need an umbrella...

It sounds perfect, and everything they've shown so far looks perfect.

to you, yeah. but I'm with Gorth on this one, they removed one thing I liked the most about XCom - base management. and with it, I assume, the financing from different countries depending on your performance over their territories.

there was something special about building different bases in different parts of the world, making sure they were run efficiently and defending them from aliens.

that's the main reason I never tried Apocalypse. it was too different from the original, while some may say it was better in many instances

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

that's the main reason I never tried Apocalypse. it was too different from the original, while some may say it was better in many instances

If anything, Apocalypse had way superior base management and an actual, functional economy (not really, but it gave the illusion of it). You had to build new bases in different parts of town to better your response time to threats or the various factions would start lose faith in you. They could go from liking you to hating you to declaring outright war on you (when they weren't busy warring amongst themselves), it was almost sims like the way they would go about their lives. If they hate you, you can no longer buy their equipment and they will generally attack you on sight. Forget about that engine upgrade for your jet fighters... ;)

It sounds perfect, and everything they've shown so far looks perfect.

to you, yeah. but I'm with Gorth on this one, they removed one thing I liked the most about XCom - base management. and with it, I assume, the financing from different countries depending on your performance over their territories.

there was something special about building different bases in different parts of the world, making sure they were run efficiently and defending them from aliens.

Seems there are two of them , one appears to have disapeared into sometime 2014 though.

This is the product description for the one I was looking at. Just to be sure we are on the same page.

Product Description

XCOM: Enemy Unknown will place you in control of a secret paramilitary organisation called XCOM. As the XCOM commander, you will defend against a terrifying global alien invasion by managing resources, advancing technologies, and overseeing combat strategies and individual unit tactics. The original X-COM is widely regarded as one of the best games ever made and has now been re-imagined by the strategy experts at Firaxis Games. XCOM: Enemy Unknown will expand on that legacy with an entirely new invasion story, enemies and technologies to fight aliens and defend Earth. You will control the fate of the human race through researching alien technologies, creating and managing a fully operational base, planning combat missions and controlling soldier movement in battle.

Key Features

• Strategy Evolved: XCOM: Enemy Unknown couples tactical turn-based gameplay with incredible action sequences and on-the-ground combat.
  • Strategic Base: Recruit, customise and grow unique soldiers and manage your personnel. Detect and intercept the alien threat as you build and expand your XCOM headquarters.
  • Tactical Combat: Direct soldier squads in turn-based ground battles and deploy air units such as the Interceptor and Skyranger.
  • Worldwide Threat: Combat spans the globe as the XCOM team engages in over 70 unique missions, interacting and negotiating with governments around the world.

I have hope for this title, for even if it's not as good as the original, it's still something different then most things we see from AAA publishers these days.

Well the last non Japanese TB game I played was Rainbow Moon. But you would have to go back to 40K on the PSP for one that got a general release.

The only thing I find with big buget TB games is the bells and whistles while nice at first tend to make them a drag after a while.

If anything, Apocalypse had way superior base management and an actual, functional economy (not really, but it gave the illusion of it).

oooh. now you're making me want to install it...

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Civ V was a big step back from Civ IV, as far as empire building is concerned. The first Civ game I've regretted buying.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Civ V was a big step back from Civ IV, as far as empire building is concerned. The first Civ game I've regretted buying.

Isn't the bigger picture do you want to see more games of this type or not ?

works for me

Walsingham said:

I'm really surprised at the skepticism here, it seems like a best case scenario for Xcom fans. You've got Sid Meier's studio at work here.

Hopefully there will be enough fans picking it up at release, I'd hate to see the first mainstream game with TB combat and a strong strategic element in the last decade bomb.

With Jagged Alliance going the whole real time pausing route, it's really my only hope.

on the one hand, XCom was dragged through the mud many many times, so Firaxis's take on it can't be that bad. on the other, look what Fallout 3 did with the Fallout name. the new generation of players won't care about the original, they'll be all, "wow, what a nice game, Firaxis is the best studio ever, they had the guts to make a true tactical game in the age of shooters. oh wait, it's a remake? ah, who cares, I probably won't be able to run the old game on my system".

Walsingham said:

im 100% excited for the firaxis remake. i dont have emotional ties to the original though, it was too hard when i was a kid, i dont think i ever got more than 2-3 missions into it and i didnt even understand what i was supposed to be doing

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.