STEAM!

Gorth

Hmm, today's shopping:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent 4.99 USD

Age of Empires III: Complete Collection 9.99 USD

Awesomenauts with Soundtrack 4.07 USD

Of Orcs and Men Pre-Order 19.99 USD

I'm nothing if not inconsistent in my taste :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm going to wait and see how well it's supported, all the reports I've seen is that XCOM: Enemy Unknown is buggy as hell. It looks like a great game

I wouldn't call it 'buggy as hell'... I'm almost through the game and only noticeable bug during the entire game was a guy with jet packs flying up and getting stuck inside the structure of a UFO. It's fun while it lasts, which isn't very long. Probably just as well, as the simplified game mechanics would lead to boredom if it dragged out.

Edit: Not sure what qualifies as 'cheap' elsewhere in the world, but Gamersgate currently has it for $35 (which is dirt cheap for Aussies).

You haven't been getting bugs such as camera messing up and not targeting the enemy, enemies getting stuck in places you can't get to, crashes, the game getting stuck and not being able to progress, many graphical bugs, or gameplay related bugs? Have you been playing multiplayer? A good portion of the bugs people are complaining about are in multiplayer.

I'm going to wait and see how well it's supported, all the reports I've seen is that XCOM: Enemy Unknown is buggy as hell. It looks like a great game

I wouldn't call it 'buggy as hell'... I'm almost through the game and only noticeable bug during the entire game was a guy with jet packs flying up and getting stuck inside the structure of a UFO. It's fun while it lasts, which isn't very long. Probably just as well, as the simplified game mechanics would lead to boredom if it dragged out.

Edit: Not sure what qualifies as 'cheap' elsewhere in the world, but Gamersgate currently has it for $35 (which is dirt cheap for Aussies).

You haven't been getting bugs such as camera messing up and not targeting the enemy, enemies getting stuck in places you can't get to, crashes, the game getting stuck and not being able to progress, many graphical bugs, or gameplay related bugs? Have you been playing multiplayer? A good portion of the bugs people are complaining about are in multiplayer.

I don't play games in multiplayer, so that may be part of the reason .The bugs you mention don't sound familiar / not something I recognise. Currently almost cleared the first part of the templeship (sans the ethereals in the bow which ganged up on me and wiped my squad in my first attempt) :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well, I bought Walking Dead since it was on sale. I'm aware of the QTE's, which I normally wouldn't like, but since the game isn't really a "game" in the normal sense of the term, imo, I doubt I'll really care. I don't expect a lot from the game, just figured the narration might be cool. Besides, it's only $13. I've paid more for pizza. More troubling is the sound of that glitch. I haven't DL'd it tho...just bought it. Won't have time to play anything until Sunday maybe.

Also bought Dead Island since it was $10 again. What the heck. Might get around to it one day.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've never played an X-Com game. It's more about a lack of funds ATM and the feeling that it will probably be cheaper come Christmas time.

I think UFO: Extraterestrials is on sale for something silly like 2.99 or so. Always felt it was the closest to the original X-Com.

Just noticed that Fallen Enchantress is out.

Anyone played it?

I know that the fist out was a disaster but I'd really liked Master of Magic and could use a proper strategy game (i.e. one that's not about XP farming).

It's been out for a while. Someone gave impressions in the What Are you palying now thread if I remember well :)

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Hm Deponia is also tempting at that price. And surprise, Saints Row 3 on sale.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Snagged walking dead, was sucked in till almost 4am. Its pretty much as advertised. Its an adventure game. If you don't like adventure games you wont like it. Also grabbed the Victoria pack and the byzantine dlc for creator kings

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well, I bought Dishonored for $80, but full price games are normally around $100 down here. No, it isn't the government, in fact they have been discussing legislative initiatives to crack down on the price fixing taking place (due to lack of competition between the few distributors operating down here). There are not extra taxes on games, so there is no "natural" explanation for why the same digitally distributed game from the same online store adds 50%-100% when you enter your region code :)

Publishers, probably. Also they have to send the games through more, longer tubes.

Actually, thinking about it, maybe server costs are higher in Australia or something possibly legit like that. It's not like that's a chilly continent where air conditioners are unnecessary.

Well, I bought Walking Dead since it was on sale. I'm aware of the QTE's, which I normally wouldn't like, but since the game isn't really a "game" in the normal sense of the term, imo, I doubt I'll really care. I don't expect a lot from the game, just figured the narration might be cool. Besides, it's only $13. I've paid more for pizza. More troubling is the sound of that glitch. I haven't DL'd it tho...just bought it. Won't have time to play anything until Sunday maybe.

Also bought Dead Island since it was $10 again. What the heck. Might get around to it one day.

The Walking Dead game is one of the best games of the year. You really don't know what you're getting into, but I guess we'll find out how you've fared once you come out the other end now that it's finished.

btw. How can you say it's not really a game without playing it? Are you referring to adventure games in general?

Snagged walking dead, was sucked in till almost 4am. Its pretty much as advertised. Its an adventure game. If you don't like adventure games you wont like it. Also grabbed the Victoria pack and the byzantine dlc for creator kings

It's not a traditional adventure game. I hated adventure games back in their heyday because they focused on stupid BS nonsense illogical puzzles. TWD is almost entirely about narrative. The first couple of episodes have some of those irritating trial & error puzzles, but you aren't given two dozen items and expected to make some idiotically illogical connections between them. It's more a matter of what order to use the items in. It's really the QTEs that it relies on, which works sometimes and doesn't at others. At least it provides a sense of danger.

The later chapters pretty much abandon all that and focus more narrowly on narrative and decisions Lee has to make, which is what the game's real focus is, and which are why it's so much better than the run-of-the-mill 90s adventure game. The end puzzle in Ep. 5 is more for emotional affect than anything else, and it works.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

Well, I bought Dishonored for $80, but full price games are normally around $100 down here. No, it isn't the government, in fact they have been discussing legislative initiatives to crack down on the price fixing taking place (due to lack of competition between the few distributors operating down here). There are not extra taxes on games, so there is no "natural" explanation for why the same digitally distributed game from the same online store adds 50%-100% when you enter your region code :)

Publishers, probably. Also they have to send the games through more, longer tubes.

Actually, thinking about it, maybe server costs are higher in Australia or something possibly legit like that. It's not like that's a chilly continent where air conditioners are unnecessary.

Probably, but considering what servers cost, it can't possibly justify the price increases per purchase, the difference is probably less than a dollar. My theory is that Australia is isolated and price fixing which is pretty rampant in any digital medium. It's greed like this that will hurt the games industry. Australians won't bother, won't try new or different genres they may love, and some will turn to piracy.

I remember Trent Reznor getting angry at seeing his CD in Australia being sold for over double what it would anywhere else. They could do that because shipping it from US or Europe would be pretty expensive and take some time. There was a limited supply of the limited edition CD in Australia. Reznor was pissed because he was using his albums to support his tour, over charging was prohibiting new fans and overcharging wasn't benefiting him in royalties. He later went independent selling his album for $5, and even though he's recently signed to Columbia, his latest EP was distributed in the same way as when he was independent at a reasonable price.

Australians won't bother, won't try new or different genres they may love, and some will turn to piracy.

Nope, we just import or use GMG or Gamersgate.

With GMG I got X-com at $40 and Hitman at $34 pre-ordered. Basically cheaper than US prices.

Another note as to why games are more expensive at retail, is due to what aussies earn. A EB games retail assistant earns $15phr quite a bit higher than what the US equivalent does, then add more expensive rent, warehousing and power etc, you get the picture that it costs more to do business in Australia than most other countries. As for Steam, it's retail again. Publishers can't undercut stores by selling a title on steam $20-$30 cheaper than stores, if they did that, stores wouldn't stock their product. Of course greed is also a factor, but not the only one.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Australians won't bother, won't try new or different genres they may love, and some will turn to piracy.

Nope, we just import or use GMG or Gamersgate.

With GMG I got X-com at $40 and Hitman at $34 pre-ordered. Basically cheaper than US prices.

Another note as to why games are more expensive at retail, is due to what aussies earn. A EB games retail assistant earns $15phr quite a bit higher than what the US equivalent does, then add more expensive rent, warehousing and power etc, you get the picture that it costs more to do business in Australia than most other countries. As for Steam, it's retail again. Publishers can't undercut stores by selling a title on steam $20-$30 cheaper than stores, if they did that, stores wouldn't stock their product. Of course greed is also a factor, but not the only one.

They undercut stores in America and Europe. Retail is going to move to supermarkets, but mostly it'll be done online, already happened with the PC in the UK, retail PC games don't really exist any more, the consoles will be next. Why don't Australians just all use GMG or Gamersgate? Then Steam couldn't possibly keep their prices so high.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

Ignorance and herd mentality, largely. Lots of people think that steam is- literally- the only place to buy from DD and others don't want to make accounts at multiple places or are compulsive about steam achievements or whatever. It's also one of those things where some people get really upset if anyone blames steam for it as "it's the publisher's fault!" only, despite other DD outlets often not having the same differential.

Truth is that the situation benefits everyone but the consumer as retail remains relevant, sort of, and both steam and the publishers get more money. Thus, price gouging.

Ignorance and herd mentality, largely. Lots of people think that steam is- literally- the only place to buy from DD and others don't want to make accounts at multiple places or are compulsive about steam achievements or whatever. It's also one of those things where some people get really upset if anyone blames steam for it as "it's the publisher's fault!" only, despite other DD outlets often not having the same differential.

Truth is that the situation benefits everyone but the consumer as retail remains relevant, sort of, and both steam and the publishers get more money. Thus, price gouging.

Valve only set the prices for their own games. Not getting really upset, but it's a fact it's the publisher not Valve. What's the difference in Australia with Valve games? I think GamersGate works the same as Steam, so it's strange how they can negotiate better prices than Steam. I have no idea how Green Man Gaming works.

btw. How can you say it's not really a game without playing it? Are you referring to adventure games in general?

I'm referring to games that don't give me a sense of having much to do. This wasn't intended as a "they suck" type of insult, only that I usually (but not always) find those types of games not interactive/task-oriented enough to feel like I'm actually "playing" something. eg, the more I feel like I'm watching a game, the less involved I feel. I have watched pretty much the entire 1st episode of WD on YouTube, btw. I was initially uninterested but eh...for the price, I do like the artwork so why not.

...and now I've bought Saints Row3 complete package. Again, mostly because of the price and "maybe one day..." I still haven't played much of SR2. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Seems like one of the weaker sales I've seen or maybe I just have mostly everything I need already. I'll pass on this and come back for the winter classic.

Theres a lot more on sale than the featured stuff. I got the Vicky 2 pack for 50% off, tempted to grab the Broken Sword trilogy for $2. Most of their featured ones I'm not caring about, but the hidden gems are nice.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Valve only set the prices for their own games. Not getting really upset, but it's a fact it's the publisher not Valve. What's the difference in Australia with Valve games? I think GamersGate works the same as Steam, so it's strange how they can negotiate better prices than Steam. I have no idea how Green Man Gaming works.

For most of the new games, GMG re-sell steam keys anyway, so they get those keys wholesale somehow, then just resell them.

You said Steam is undercutting physical stores in Europe, but I got to say that confuses me, because in my experience buying a digital copy from Steam is always the most expensive version of any given game. Swedish stores tend to be somewhat cheaper, but usually buying a physical copy from Amazon (with free shipping) is the cheapest option. If GMG carries the title and you get your hands on a discount code (which is easy enough to do), buying the steam version from there has become a real alternative though.

But still, Steam itself has never been the cheapest option for me.

This is for new games by the way, Steam sales are another story entirely.

I'm referring to games that don't give me a sense of having much to do. This wasn't intended as a "they suck" type of insult, only that I usually (but not always) find those types of games not interactive/task-oriented enough to feel like I'm actually "playing" something. eg, the more I feel like I'm watching a game, the less involved I feel. I have watched pretty much the entire 1st episode of WD on YouTube, btw. I was initially uninterested but eh...for the price, I do like the artwork so why not.

...and now I've bought Saints Row3 complete package. Again, mostly because of the price and "maybe one day..." I still haven't played much of SR2. :lol:

You do spend a lot of time "watching," but not any more proportionally than in a game like Dragon Age, they just don't pad out TWD with constant combat and zombies leaping down from the rooftops when you think the battle's over. Only its with dialogue choices actually matter. The first and second episodes are both viable competitors for the "worst," but they're still not "bad." It's kind of spoiler-y, but TWD is more of a child-rearing simulation in the end.

Edited by AGX-17

Seems like one of the weaker sales I've seen or maybe I just have mostly everything I need already. I'll pass on this and come back for the winter classic.

Theres a lot more on sale than the featured stuff. I got the Vicky 2 pack for 50% off, tempted to grab the Broken Sword trilogy for $2. Most of their featured ones I'm not caring about, but the hidden gems are nice.

Heh, I grabbed the first Broken Sword for $.99. I would never play all 3 games in the pack, so just getting the first one is all I need, plus it seems like the best one anyway.

Hilariously, the bank keeps screwing up sending me my new card, so meanwhile, I can't make any online transactions. It's probably for the best, though I did get a friend to nab me a $80 monitor.

For most of the new games, GMG re-sell steam keys anyway, so they get those keys wholesale somehow, then just resell them.

You said Steam is undercutting physical stores in Europe, but I got to say that confuses me, because in my experience buying a digital copy from Steam is always the most expensive version of any given game. Swedish stores tend to be somewhat cheaper, but usually buying a physical copy from Amazon (with free shipping) is the cheapest option. If GMG carries the title and you get your hands on a discount code (which is easy enough to do), buying the steam version from there has become a real alternative though.

But still, Steam itself has never been the cheapest option for me.

This is for new games by the way, Steam sales are another story entirely.

I don't know about Sweden, but I'd be surprised if physical stores cost less than Steam in France, Germany, and the UK. Maybe Sweden has different tax and incentive systems to make this possible, or it's another case like Australia, where Steam for some reason is more expensive. Amazon have a lot of power to negotiate, and their prices are based on algorithms, but in terms of France, Germany, and the UK, it's rare that new games are more costly on Steam.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot