What Next for Batman?

Cutlock

If you don't want spoilers, don't read on.

Hey guys, so I've been a bit erratic recently, but I'm here to put the slate as clean as it can be, as I will prosper on these forums.

So, i saw the Dark Knight Rises last night and it was fantastic, for my review, go to cutlock.blogspot.com, and I was shellshocked by the ending. Bruce ends up with Selena and John Blake gets the Batcave while a new Bat-Signal is made. Hmm, could this mean that Blake becomes Batman, maybe this will spawn a sequel series spearheading the Justice League franchise. I for one, DO NOT WANT THAT. This film franchise should end and it has, no point in milking it out now.

So what should happen now, just leave the Batman movies be and constrict him into appearances in Justice League, start a new series to start Justice League or have a new series spawn out of Justice League or be totally separate?

• Like 1

They have to reboot it. Or at least retool it. Otherwise they can't do Justice League properly (see the Justice League cartoon series for what happens when anything related to batman is shut off). Basic business would mean a complete reboot so that it's still Bruce Wayne in the cape and cowel rather than anyone else taking the mantle. After all, they're trying to sell people on the idea of Justice League and people wouldn't go "Batman" and think "**** Grayson, Tim Drake, Jason Todd" or whatever (much less a guy who popped up in a movie).

I'd expect a slight retool that'll use somebody like the Riddler or Penguin as the villain, but really the movie is only there for 90 minutes to quickly introduce the new bruce wayne to us.

Well either that or they'll just do what they did with Mark Ruffalo and Don Cheadle and just change the actors with no explanation beyond "What? I'm the character damnit!"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

the whole time i was watching the movie i was thinking about Jon Blake: "this guy is just like a mix of grayson and drake, he should be robin." then at the end they reveal his real name was Robin Blake, then he gets access to the batcave

i was excited, but then i remembered there won't be another nolan batman movie. too bad.

what i'd like to see next: one more nolan movie.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

That's weird, I know of at least 12 other people who felt the need to emphasize that they knew people who didn't enjoy the movie either. Harry from Ain't It Cool News had to validate his opinion by saying "see, I'm not alone" too. Why do people need to go on the defensive right away with this movie? Are Nolanites really that bad?

*Note that I'm not comparing you to Harry Knowles because that would be a grave insult, and that I expect you have actual reasons whereas Harry's review consisted out of screaming "does not conform to the source material" and subsequently proving to know nothing about the source material by being wrong about every point.

Edited by TrueNeutral

if they go with a complete reimagining of the batman franchise to make the movie world fit a little better with a possible justice league movie then i'd like to see them adapt arkham asylum (the video game).

edit: i should say "loosely" adapt, the same way that batman begins was a very loose adaptation of batman year one.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

So what should happen now, just leave the Batman movies be and constrict him into appearances in Justice League, start a new series to start Justice League or have a new series spawn out of Justice League or be totally separate?

Bruce_Wayne_028.jpg

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

From what I understand they're going to launch the DC shared universe with Man of Steel, and they're eyeing Ryan Reynolds as Batman for the rebooted Batman series, with the guy who directed Source Code and Moon directing it. Nothing confirmed, thats just what the studio wants right now reportedly. They don't seem to think that Ryan Reynolds was a part of why Green Lantern tanked, despite him being #2 behind the script for things that sucked about the flick.

I say go for MoS, new Batman, and a Wonder Woman movie, then tie those together with a JL movie. I'm guessing adding the other cast members from the current JL comics, Flash, GL, Aquaman, and Cyborg. Then spinoff a WW, Aquaman, and possibly a Flash movie, if they can figure out a way for him to carry his own movie. His villains are actually pretty decent, especially Mirror Master, Captain Cold, and Captain Boomerang, but considering they pretty much just rob stuff, it makes it tough to do a decent movie.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

...with the guy who directed Source Code and Moon directing it.

Zowie Bowie! Less grim more glam!

I don't really have any valid comment, as horror movies aside, superhero movies are the movie genre I avoid the most. I don't think I even watched the Kilmer Batman movie, let alone anything after.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

From what I understand they're going to launch the DC shared universe with Man of Steel, and they're eyeing Ryan Reynolds as Batman for the rebooted Batman series, with the guy who directed Source Code and Moon directing it. Nothing confirmed, thats just what the studio wants right now reportedly. They don't seem to think that Ryan Reynolds was a part of why Green Lantern tanked, despite him being #2 behind the script for things that sucked about the flick.

From the reviews I've read critical concencus seems to be Ryan Reynolds was the only good thing about the movie and he has a decent Box Office draw by himself. The general audience seems to like him.

Not trying to defend him, just sayin' the studios reasoning doesn't seem to concur with your opinion.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Ryan Reynolds as Batman does make me think of Val Kilmer. I'm pretty sure he is playing Green Lantern in the Justice League movie though.

Also Reynolds was the only good thing about Green Lantern. His career isn't exactly hurting from the movie.

Well Nolans Batman could probably make quite a killing in the obscene phone call business.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Ryan Reynolds as Batman does make me think of Val Kilmer.

Yeah, I like Reynolds, he doesn't have a lot of range but he's generally entertaining (he was the only thing that kept me from walking out of that third Blade flick and while the script ruined Deadpool, his early characterization of Wade Wilson was spot on for the character). That being said, he's a HORRIBLE choice for Batman.

Edited by TrueNeutral

I guess my issues with Reynolds in GL can be attributed to both Script and Director. Its mostly that he wasn't playing Hal Jordan. He was playing scaredy cat Ryan Reynolds.

I actually don't think he'd be a bad Bruce Wayne, but he doesn't have the jaw, demeanor, etc. to be Batman. Might make a decent Nightwing.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I haven't seen the movie but as far as I know the ending is an introduction to...

Robin

Oh dear :p

This is how I saw it, too, rather than having him become the "new" Batman.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

They should get Bruce Timm and the DCAU people involved in the production and writing. They did a great job of integrating a huge amount of different ideas and continuities with the DCAU.

Their track record on the direct to video projects hasn't been stellar. They seem to do a lousy one for every good one they do. Movies aren't their strong suit. Get them on board a live action tv series and I'm listening.

When they're done Dark Knight Returns they seriously need to get a Batman Beyond movie on the go though.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I like Ryan, he's a likable screen-presence. But I would not want to see him as Batman. He is not "tough" enough for Batman and I can't see him managing to portray the inner turmoil/conflict of Batman at all. Ryan is "nice," not edgy.

Unless, of course, they wanted to make a reboot of the TV Batman series with all the "Kapow!" and bad jokes. I could see Ryan doing that. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts