The NHL Thread.

Rosbjerg

Holy crazy!  I imagine it wasn't a super easy decision for him to leave that much money on the table either.  Good luck to him.

I am usually pretty lenient on players leaving, but what Kovalchuk did is completely inexcusable. The Devils have invested SO much in him that this completely ridiculous. He signed a 15 year contract that wound up costing us a first round draft pick, and his entire negotiation process in 2010 could have been used on locking up Parise long term instead. He's not leaving any money on the table, he's going to make just as much (if not more) playing in the KHL and it's tax free. 

Edited by Krookie

"I am usually pretty lenient on players leaving, but what Kovalchuk did is completely inexcusable. The Devils have invested SO much in him that this completely ridiculous. He signed a 15 year contract that wound up costing us a first round draft pick, and his entire negotiation process in 2010 could have been used on locking up Parise long term instead. He's not leaving any money on the table, he's going to make just as much (if not more) playing in the KHL and it's tax free. "

It's totally excuseable. He doesn't  feel the NHL is worth hsi time. He has the right to retire. devils have the right to accept it and void his contract. He owes the Devils nothing. Nobody complains why NHL treats players like trash.

I never feel bad when professional teams, owners, and fans get 'screwed'. They all deserve it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

For what Kovalchuk was getting paid, the Devils could have afforded to keep Parise and Clarktard.

I'd be pissed if I just bought season tickets.

The Devils are a top notch organization, though. I bet Lou has some sort of plan up his sleeve.

Hemsky is STILL available.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

For what Kovalchuk was getting paid, the Devils could have afforded to keep Parise and Clarktard.

Zach didn't leave for lack of money, he left because he felt replaced by the organization - which he was, to an extent. The summer of 2010 we spent an incredible amount of time and resources negotiating a long term contract with Kovalchuk. When we got the 17 year deal done, the league denied it and it was back to the drawing board. By the time it was hammered out, the season was nearly starting and contract talks were put on hold. Parise was shown little to no respect and the organization failed to make an effort to show how valuable he was to us. We COULD have signed him to an extension long before the huge bidding war opened up between us and the Wild. 

"The Devils are a top notch organization, though. I bet Lou has some sort of plan up his sleeve."

Top notch organziations don't end up having a player like Kolvachuk flat otu choose to dump their butts - espicially just two eyars after theyr eached the finals and his reputation was at all an all time high.

Quite frankly, NJ is one of the luckiest organziations ever - having a goalie like Brodeur be your goalie for 2 decades makes it much easier to be successful since you know he's alsways gonna make them competitive.

Lou is a solid GM but he has made both good and bad decisions.

And, Hemsky is nowhere near the level of Kolvachuk.

"The Devils are a top notch organization, though. I bet Lou has some sort of plan up his sleeve."

Top notch organziations don't end up having a player like Kolvachuk flat otu choose to dump their butts - espicially just two eyars after theyr eached the finals and his reputation was at all an all time high.

right, instead they sign players to contracts like Brad Richards and then bench them in the playoffs 

Mutually dumb financial move by both parties. Sorta almost cancels each other out.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I like Lou's record with the team on the ice.  It's pretty enviable for 90 percent of the league over the last two decades.

I feel your pain, Krookster.  Although the situations are somewhat different, it reminds me of how I felt when Pronger wanted out.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

"ight, instead they sign players to contracts like Brad Richards and then bench them in the playoffs"

L0L Because I have never criticized that franchise. L0LZ Why are you so ignorant?

"ight, instead they sign players to contracts like Brad Richards and then bench them in the playoffs"

L0L Because I have never criticized that franchise. L0LZ Why are you so ignorant?

when did i say you never criticized the rangers? why r U so ignorant? fool. 

Hopefully, he'll score a goal in the playoffs if Devils make it. Obviously, at this point, he isn't at Kolvachuk's level but still a good pick up.

You can't go wrong with Jagr. He'll be awesome showing the younger players what it takes to be successful at the NHL level.

I'm wondering if Dustin Penner will be a beast this year if he gets reunited with Perry and Getzlaf.

The schedule came out today. Only two months and change until hockey's back!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif