SELL RADICAL ENTERTAINMENT!

Cutlock

Okay, I am from Abbotsford, a small "town" (village?) in the "country" (aren't we all?) south of Vancouver underlining the USA-Canada border. And today I just heard that Activision has shuttered Radical Entertainment, whence originally contemplating as to whether to make the studio defunct or sell it, they did to it what that bastard Herve Caen did to Interplay (how I miss thee Pre-Cain InterPlay!): they gave it a skeleton crew of of less then 15 developers (Chris, Alex, Eric... sigh... Herve: 4 maybe more).

As the studios shuttering has been massively reported, and the fact that the studio will no longer develop its won games but "support" other studio games, we know what this means. CALL OF DUTY! Why keep open the studios that can only develop CoD? Infinity Ward should have been shut down after that massive layoffs, or given the fate that Radical was given. Not to make a game that I made over a weekend!

This is why, Radical should be sold, not kept in the state that it is.

Radical has been around for 21 years now! They themselves are the backbone of video gaming entertainment in Vancouver and that some **** is going to happen.

Lets see the candidates:

Ubisoft - Although I wouldn't mind this, they would likely rename it to Ubisoft Vancouver or Radical Ubisoft. But, whatever the scenario.

THQ - Jason Rubin would only accept the purchase if it was $2 and came with Crash. 2$ people, thats 2 dollars less than how many THQ actually has.

EA - This seems like the most profitable choice for both parties, especially with that lawsuit coming to an end. Maybe EA will buy them, its unlikely though.

Sony - This is probably the most likely choice. They would probably put Radical on making another good game. Also, even though Sony has suffered losses, it is a Japanese based company and you have to see what has happened in Japan recently, the only reason Nintendo didn't suffer those losses is because they quickly released Mario. But if Radical does go to Sony, I would sure hope Crash goes with them.

Sell Radical Entertainment, a company of 20 years going out of business like that is a slap in the face.

I wish right now for the best of luck to those who lost their jobs and a desire to get to RKO Bobby Kotick.

Hmmm, isn't it you guys that are ***** when layoffs hit BioWare or Obsidian here? Hmm. Its not the studio. Its the people that got fired. Its the people with talent, sent to waste. Now don't give me bull**** that they kept the people with real talent, because all the talent in a studio does not come from 15 people. You know, i actually posted this to see what you guys would say. And you know, Volourn, Morgoth, you guys are top contributors here on these forums, you guys lead me to think that all the Bioware hate I see on these threads, gets me thinking, did the Obsidian Forums factor in on the great Trollers of today in a way that is surprising? Although that could just be you two being **** and not giving a **** about 90 people losing their jobs, further damaging an already unstable Vancouver.

"mmm, isn't it you guys that are ***** when layoffs hit BioWare or Obsidian here? Hmm. Its not the studio. Its the people that got fired. Its the people with talent, sent to waste. Now don't give me bull**** that they kept the people with real talent, because all the talent in a studio does not come from 15 people. You know, i actually posted this to see what you guys would say. And you know, Volourn, Morgoth, you guys are top contributors here on these forums, you guys lead me to think that all the Bioware hate I see on these threads, gets me thinking, did the Obsidian Forums factor in on the great Trollers of today in a way that is surprising? Although that could just be you two being **** and not giving a **** about 90 people losing their jobs, further damaging an already unstable Vancouver"

I like both BIO and Obsidian. It's very rare for me to be referred to as a 'BIO hater'.

Businesses are not charity cases. If Radical (or BIO or Obsidian) can't compete they DESERVE to fold.

The talented employees will find new jobs at more secure companies or will start their own 9afterall many companies are often started by fromer 'employees' - espicially true in gaming. Obsidian is an example of this.

It's not about a 'lack of sympathy' for those who lose their jobs. It's about a lack of sympathy for BUSINESSES.

If you cna't compete GTFO and let those who can do.

You want a charity do a charity aka kickstarter.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The games they made...older one that I actually recalled was Pele.

They made a lot of movie and tV knockoff video games such as Beavis and Butthead, Independance Day (I think that was a movie knockoff game), some Simpson's games, The Hulk and The Hulk: Ultimate destruction, The crash games (Crash Bandicoot games such as Crash tag team racing). Most recently they created Prototype.

I would imagine this means no Prototype 2.

I can actually see where he's coming from to tell the truth. There are rumors flying, I think something big could be coming down the line with shakeups in Acti-Blizz...

Or not...

But this is one indicator that something will. Not a good thing...and very sad for the fans of the studio. I don't happen to be a fan of the game developer there, but I can feel for those who are out of work and having to find another job, especially in the dark dearth of the current job market.

People losing their jobs is always awful, unless of course they are politicians or Hedge Fund managers (then it's pretty funny).

But car factories shut down and thousands of people lose their jobs. IT professionals are actually well-adapted to find new work. The guys who assemble Buicks generally ain't.

So it's business in the middle of a world recession. Sad, but there you are. Sorry.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I would imagine this means no Prototype 2.

It's already out.

LOL

I suppose that is self explanatory on how closely I followed the studio. Not really a fan of them myself (as I apparantly just made obvious), but still can feel for the employees that are out looking for jobs.

@Cutlock: You still have Rockstar Vancouver, which is made from a lot of the ex-members from Radical Entertainment.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Please don't assume that your arbitrary notion of good is the right one ( or anyone's else for that matter) Popular doesn't translate to good, and whats good in the entertainment industry is what sells.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Simpsons Hit&Run and Hulk: Ultimate Destruction both belong to the most highly regarded games based on animated/comic properties. Granted, that isn't the highest bar, but still.

Also if we include arbitary stuff regarding quality both of these games have a metacritic score of 80+. (Hulk has a User Score of 9.4)

Edited by C2B

Please don't assume that your arbitrary notion of good is the right one ( or anyone's else for that matter) Popular doesn't translate to good, and whats good in the entertainment industry is what sells.

I'm not saying that my personal metric of good or bad is what did them in. I'm saying that the products they produced didn't sell, and thus they weren't good in business sense. I mean the only thing from that list that they produce in the 6 years since the new console generation that got much coverage would be Prototype, and then they didn't have a single other product until this year with Prototype 2.

I mean if you look at it, there was nothing to really keep them afloat. Particularly after Prototype 2's failure commercially.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.