Movies you've seen recently

Tale

Watched Red Cliff today. A John Woo movie. I’m going to watch the Wachowskis (can’t call em brothers anymore?) first directed movie tonight.

I love Clint’s movies. Pale Rider, Unforgiven and Heartbreak Ridge are some of my favorite movies of his. Plus Clint has the only westerns I liked besides Tombstone which Val Kilmer made that movie as Doc Holliday.

Cowboys.com is now a gay dating site…GreenBayPackers.com is something we shall never discuss again…EVER.

Shakespeare said: Play to those who get it. Don’t dumb it down “to split the ears of the groundlings.”

Groundlings: The lowest common denominator.

I watched "Fist of legend" today with some friends.

Atrocious atrocious movie. With mediocre kung-fu to boot.

Had a great time.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Arrow's last episode is moving him towards the "less vengeful hero" mode a tiny bit.

Also caught some random old episode of The Love Boat. I remember liking that show a fair bit back when (in my defense, I was 10 and had a crush on Gopher). Now it's just a laugh-fest of bad hair, bad clothes, bad jokes, bad everything. There's some great TV from the 70's/early 80's that holds up today ... but that isn't one of them. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I watched limitless yesterday. Blew my mind.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Guest The Architect

At least it didn't blow it all away.

I saw Cat on a Hot Tin Roof not too long ago. Loved it. Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor are the best looking on screen couple I've ever seen.

Watched Red Cliff today. A John Woo movie.

Did you watch the trimmed down western release? Because there are two movies really, they mashed them together and left out a lot of stuff for the western audience.

It's based on my favorite period in history, so I quite enjoyed it. But the 2010 miniseries Three Kingdoms was better (of which the Red Cliff part is 10-12 episodes or so). Cao Cao (the "villain") is a much more nuanced and interesting character in that. :)

Anyone seen Lincoln yet? It's getting such glowing reviews, but the ads weren't impressive and it's sentimental Spielberg, so I'm not sure. Not that I don't like/respect some of Spielberg's films, but he can be a sort of hit and miss affair.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Watched Red Cliff today. A John Woo movie.

Did you watch the trimmed down western release? Because there are two movies really, they mashed them together and left out a lot of stuff for the western audience.

It's based on my favorite period in history, so I quite enjoyed it. But the 2010 miniseries Three Kingdoms was better (of which the Red Cliff part is 10-12 episodes or so). Cao Cao (the "villain") is a much more nuanced and interesting character in that. :)

I watched the theatrical version that is on netflix. I enjoyed Zhuge Liang (Takeshi Kaneshiro) the most in that movie. Especially his scenes with Zhou Yu when their talking battle strategy.

I am sad to say that I watched Highlander 2 Renegade version also on netflix…none of my problems with that movie were fixed.

Cowboys.com is now a gay dating site…GreenBayPackers.com is something we shall never discuss again…EVER.

Shakespeare said: Play to those who get it. Don’t dumb it down “to split the ears of the groundlings.”

Groundlings: The lowest common denominator.

I watched the theatrical version that is on netflix. I enjoyed Zhuge Liang (Takeshi Kaneshiro) the most in that movie. Especially his scenes with Zhou Yu when their talking battle strategy.

I never watched the theatrical version of Red Cliff. To go from 4 hours 40 minutes down to 2 1/2 hours is really missing out on the story. You're basically missing half the movie. I'm not even sure how they could take so much out and make the story comprehensible.

I never watched the theatrical version of Red Cliff. To go from 4 hours 40 minutes down to 2 1/2 hours is really missing out on the story. You're basically missing half the movie. I'm not even sure how they could take so much out and make the story comprehensible.

If the movie industry was willing to make the attempt at compressing the entire Shogun mini-series into a 2 1/2 hour film.. they're willing to do it with anything regardless of how incomprehensible it becomes...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

"The Victim" - I watched this mostly because of Michael Biehn, who acts and directs, along with some blondie who is apparently his current wife. Wasn't expecting great things from it - it's kind of 'grindhouse-y' I suppose, and that's about what I got out of it. Rather slow and not as gory as you might expect from such a film. I wasn't very impressed with Mr. Biehn's wife's acting abilities, either. Still, it's always a hoot to see my old crush Kyle Reese frolicking around and over-emoting in some weird movie. I have the impression that neither Biehn or his wife are trying to pass their film off as anything but a low-budget, shot-in-12-days lark, and for that, one could say it wasn't ... too ... terrible. ;)

I am watching Mystic River again and have been reminded what a brilliant and evocative movie it is.

Clint Eastwood may be a terrible Romney public speaker supporter, but he is a genius movie director.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela