Your first Computer Specs

Bokishi

Mine was a Commodore 64 with 64k Ram and a MOS 6569 gfx processor :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I couldn't edit my original post. Just remembered the 386 was not my first PC, it was an Apple IIc. Played some classic games on that beast......Zork, Archon, Mechwarrior, Quest for Glory, etc.. :)

My first computer as ZX Spectrum 48K.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spectrum#ZX_Spectrum_16K.2F48K

My first PC was a Hyundai XT, or maybe AT machine, with VGA graphics, one 3 1?2-inch floppy drive, and a 14" screen. Later on my Dad bought a mouse, but I never really got used to it until much later.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Thanks for the people making me feel young - my first, as in first paid by me instead of my parents, was as late as an Athlon XP 1600+ with GF3-Ti500 graphics. That was store-assembled. I subsequently built an XP1800+ as the "family" computer (learning to do so by disassembling its predecessor), put the Ti500 in it, and bought a GF4-Ti4200 to plug into my machine. The motherboard PCB was a lovely shade of purple, more manufacturers need to use purple PCBs....

Before that, sort of mine (as in I was the primary user) were a P3-600 + TNT2, a P200MMX and a DX4/100. And before I could safely call dad's PCs were a monochrome DX2/66 laptop, a 12MHz 286, and some IBM compatible in the late 80s I know next to nothing about. That PC I suppose could be taken as a valid answer to this - I remember some of the games on it: Alley Cat, Winter Games, Pole Position, etc; and I know my older cousin installed and played Pool of Radiance on it, but I was too young to understand it back then.

The longest lived out of those machines was actually the P200 which survived from 1997, which got repurposed to be my DOS gaming machine from '99 until the maturation of DOSbox in the mid noughties - I know I ran it alongside a Northwood P4 at some point.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

The first computer owned in my family was an IBM PS/2, sometime around 1988. I don't recall exact specs, but I remember that it was pretty cool because it had a hard drive-- 20 MBs!

My first was also the Commodore 64. Ah the fun I had with:

10 say Hello World

20 goto 10

or something like that.

My first Windows PC was a 75MHz Acer and I got it just before Windows 95 was released. I remember it being a big deal and they gave me a voucher for a free upgrade to be mailed to me. My Windows 3.1 friends were all huddled behind me while it installed, green with envy, lol.

A ZX81. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX81

The ZX81 came with 1 kB of on-board memory that could officially be expanded externally to 16 kB. Its single circuit board is housed inside a wedge-shaped plastic case measuring 167 millimetres (6.6 in) deep by 40 millimetres (1.6 in) high. The memory is provided by either a single 4118 (1024 bit

sonsofgygax.JPG

First one I actually owned? Oh dear, i don't even remember. I'd have to ask hubby. He actually had the "early" stuff cause he was into it before I even met him (he probably once had a used TRS-80 and the Com.64, that sort of thing). So when we first moved in together, it was "his" computer/s. He'd build his own and go out hunting for bargain used HDD's that were big, heavy, and had tiny space. I don't think I got one that was entirely for myself until about ... um ... 1992? Darn, was that 20 years ago already?

I know hubs dealt with Ms-Dos and Windows versions pre-3, so I do vaguely remember those because of that, but I didn't get into PC's much until 3.1. I think. And until Doom/Myst, I didn't use the PC for anything but word processing. Bah, too long ago.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My first computer was a ZX Spectrum 48k.

I was pretty late into the PC era, so my first PC was an Athlon XP 1800+ with a Geforce 4 Ti4600 128MB card. I actually didn't build my first PC myself, but had it built at a combined fishing and computer store (!) in the town I was studying in at the time. I remember it came with 512 MB RAM and I upgraded it with a second 512 MB RAM stick for something like 1500 SEK (200+ dollars). It also had a 40 GB harddrive, which was considered big at that time.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I had a 386 20 Mhz up until 1997, heh, was funny that the Turbo button made the clock speed indicator go down rather than up. Good times playing X-Wing, F-19, Gunship 2000 and F-117A Nighthawk on that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't know how you people remember, but I was 7 and I didn't really know anything. All I remember is Win 95 came out that year, but I was still mainly doing stuff in DOS (since a lot of games were in DOS). Scorched Earth, I remember was one of the early favourites, as well as SkiFree.

I don't know how you people remember, but I was 7 and I didn't really know anything. All I remember is Win 95 came out that year, but I was still mainly doing stuff in DOS (since a lot of games were in DOS). Scorched Earth, I remember was one of the early favourites, as well as SkiFree.

We remember because we're older than you.

Note: Somewhat paradoxically, this is also the reason that we forget.

• Like 1

Scorched Earth and Blubber Volley are some of the best shareware/freeware dos games ever :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Wait, what?

Why do I think you talk like you are in your 30's/40's? *schocking revelations .txt updated*

Anyway, same situation as Tigranes actually. Though, I did more on our 95 pc at the time.

Edited by C2B

My first computer was a half broken ZX Spectrum +2 and I loved it until the day it stopped loading Ghostbusters, some time afterwards my dad bought me an Amiga 500 and I was utterly and entirely converted into a geek, he wanted to make sure I was ready for the future, he was very forward thinking considering the most common employment in my town was mill work back then.

I moved over to the PC about five years later, a 286 around 1993, the 486 was in production by then but they cost an absolute bloody fortune, I eventually sold all my Amiga stuff (an upgraded A1200 by then) so I could build a serious PC...a 25mhz 486sx with a Vesa Local Bus graphics card, Doom!!!!

The first PC I had was, if I recall correctly, an 486 DX/2 66Mhz, 16 megs of RAM. A hand-me-down from my father, he upgraded his computer every year or two, so I got alot of upgrades.

I got my very own PC in 2004, an AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1GB RAM and a Radeon X800 graphics card, Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard and an harddrive I can't remember the size of.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Sadly I don't know what the specs were on my first computer. I do remember that it was a work laptop with a busted screen that my dad brought managed to snag for me since it wasn't worth fixing. It was an old Toshiba, didn't even have a CD drive. We hooked it up to an external monitor and CD player/drive.

Commodore Vic-20.. No wait, it said computer. Atari ST FM 520.. No wait despite the usefulness of that MIDI marvel the thread also mentions specs.. Hm..

My first and last brand-pc computer was the AST Victor Bravo 386-SX 33MHz I got in 1993. I was a student and my wallet was pretty thin.. It had 2 MB ram, 110 MB HDD and a 14" monitor. It was about as useless as the Vic-20 and it was barely capable of doing anything more than wasting my time using the windows swap file.

The first PC computer I build myself and actually enjoyed using was a DX4 100MHz with a Cirrus-Logic 5426 VLB in 1994.. When I switched to the Intel 166MHz MMX in 1997 I had 24MB of RAM for my DX4 and ran most games from RAM disk.. I've never had a motherboard that flexible before.

(Signatures: disabled)