Your first Computer Specs

Bokishi

1989 Apple Mac SE/30, Motorola 68030/16mhz processor, separate FPU, ethernet etc. Can't remember original spec, but it now has an 80mb drive and 2mb RAM, iirc. Notice "now", we still have it and my dad was using it for word processing at our country house 3-4 years ago.

OTOH, I've never actually owned a computer. Most of our electronic gear is owned by my dad's holding company.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

So you can weasle out of paying VAT, or rather your dad can deduct it on his tax return.

Not quite. Besides, my % is higher than his these days, anyway. :p

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

• 2 months later...

My first computer was the Vendex Headstart 2:

post-25438-0-17941600-1350116187_thumb.jpg

Used to play Maze (big maze circle where you had to guide a cursor to the center) and Digger on it.

Oh and it had a turbo button!

Think it occed the machine from 9Mhz to 11Mhz, if I remember right.

Found some more specs:

Vendex headstart II (8MHz, 1MB Ram) 8088-XT machine

Edited by Maf

I was in the military living in seattle when I got my first computer. I was only an e4 at the time and convinced my wife that we absolutely had to have it. In 1989 it cost me almost 1000 dollars using my tax refund I didnt realize how close I came to getting divorced over that till years later. An 8088 processor, dont remember how much memory but I do remember it had 2 5 1/4 floppy drives and no harddrive. I also had the good fortune to be friends with a guy whos dad ran a computer store near magnolia hill in seattle, I got to learn quite alot about computers from him hanging out in his store. Hell even his phone number was pretty nerdy, 206-???-8088.

Hah, math co-processor, I thought I was **** hot with that upgrade.

First Computer: C64

First PC: 286 with 2Mb Ram, VGA card and sound blaster card just to play Ultima 6

"You are going to have to learn to think before you act, but never to regret your decisions, right or wrong. Otherwise, you will slowly begin to not make decisions at all."

I don't know what the specs were but the first computer I ever used was a Packard Bell with the monitor sitting on top of the tower. I remember playing that old skiing game with that yeti like monster. I died so many times.

"Why don't you just jack off in a bottle of formaldehyde and call it our first born?" - Minatsuki "Hummingbird" Takami

I don't know the specs, but it was a Packard Bell in the early 90's (if you know that name, you know what the results were.) Which is weird because my dad minored in Computer Science for his BS (he later recognized the brand's crappiness through experience.) But when he minored in CS they still used punch-cards and his major was architecture. I'm pretty sure all the computers he used for AutoCAD at work were 80s IBMs or something along those lines. I played Oregon Trail II, SimCity 2000 and DOOM on it, so it was ok by me aside from PB's proprietary dumbed-down UI which I had to manually shut down but my mom couldn't understand the PC without.

The first one I ever played was, of course, the Apple IIe in school. Outdated by the time I started elementary school circa 1990.

I don't know what the specs were but the first computer I ever used was a Packard Bell with the monitor sitting on top of the tower. I remember playing that old skiing game with that yeti like monster. I died so many times.

SkiFree. Some Microsoft programmer made it in his free time to kill all the free time he had at work, he has a website where you can download it for... free.

http://ski.ihoc.net/

Edited by AGX-17

My first computer? Commadore Vic-20. Used to play Rat Race and Cosmic Cruncher on it all the time.

A friend of mine had a Vic-20 and (Radar) Rat Race way back. Those were good times. He had a game called Jetpac (or something similar) too. It was just awesome :sorcerer:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Jetpac is a true classic. It was on the C64 and the Spectrum, as well.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

My first computer was a CPC Amstrad 6128... Other computers weren't cheap at late 80's :(

At least, the monitor was very useful with the Megadrive/Genesis Adaptator to play Megadrive games on it. :p

My first PC was a Pentium 100 MHz years after, when I stopped being a "console only" gamer.

• 2 months later...

Oh dear...

My first PC was actually designed as a word processor that ran on CP/M (Dos' daddy...)--BUT I learned it also played games (if you typed the code in correctly), lol. Don't recall the make, but I caught it on sale at around $500. After that I bought an Amstrad 8088 with two 5-1/4 floppies... which I eventually tied to a couple external 30 mb RLL refurbed hard drives. I couldn't afford to buy them new, lol.

Eventually I bought a factory-made (first and last comp I ever bought) 286 ... after upgrading that as far as it would go I followed the tree progression by building my own 386, 486, Pentium, and beyond, piece by piece as spousal ignorance/money allowed. I was determined that my kids (both born in the early 80's) grow up knowing computers, as I was convinced that was the future. They became gamers at a very early age, and still have fond memories of playing shareware titles like math/reader rabbit, etc. and all crowding around the screen when the latest Sierra adventure arrived. In a way I kind of miss those days; the hassle of memory loading/configuring peripherals not so much. :geek:

Edited by kalimeeri

I don't know the specs of my first computer. What I do remember is it was a brand new Dell with windows ME and we still had dial-up. I remember being so excited when it arrived that I stumbled and fell on the porch steps while my brother was carrying it into the house, lol. I actually had received, as a gift, BG2 which arrived before the computer did. That was nearly 12 years ago.

Mine was a Commodore 64 with 64k Ram and a MOS 6569 gfx processor original.gif

Ditto. C64 was awesome.

Less awesome was the Apple IIe that we borrowed (that may be because of the crappy half-done games we tried to make on it, though). I actually didn't take a dip into the Windows/PC stuff until 1999 (missing out on many classic PC games in the process).

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

An Atari 800. I still have it, along with the controllers, one being a wheel ball to play centipede. I no longer have the printer or tape drive however that I once had for it. It's been a couple years since I dusted it off but last I checked it still worked.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh, the family sort of inherited a zx81 from a cousin in the mid 80's, but the first computer that was really mine was an Amstrad 6128. 128k of ram, and it actually had a built in 3.5 inch floppy disk drive.  Of course, at the time it was nearly impossible to find games and such on floppy disk so we still had to get an external tape deck to be able to play games on it...

Then we managed to get an Ambra IBM compatible 286... which had a hard drive of about 20Megs. I can remember the expense of increasing the Ram on it so I could actually play Privateer when it came out...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Think my first computer was, as I remember it, a Kaypro 286 with a 20MB harddrive, or as my father remembers it, a Kaypro 8086 with a 40MB harddrive, which had to be partitioned into two 20MB drives because it couldn't support larger and was latter upgraded to a 286.  That was a family computer.  My uncle worked for Kaypro at the time.  My first personal one was a 486 DX 33Mhz.

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-