Hurlshot's Summer RV Trip 2012 Edition

Hurlshort

Mrs. MC and I often wistfully consider this. We spent almost ten years going on holiday to the states on road trips (in every flavour of hire car) but the classic RV trip always eluded us. When my son is older we might do it.

I went to Oregon once, to a town called Alturas. It was great, we stayed in an old hotel and I half-expected Clint Eastwood in a poncho to enter the bar at any moment.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Day 10: This is our last day in Seattle. We headed to the Pacific Science Center, which was built back for the world fair in the 60's. That's how old some of the exhibits looked as well.

005.JPG

It was still a very fun place for the kids to run around. We knew we only had a couple hours of sunshine before the thunderstorms rolled in, so we made the most of it.

002.JPG

After lunch we headed back to the RV and I returned our red jetta to the rental dealership. It was a great week in Seattle, tomorrow we leave for a campground in Oregon, which will be a lot more nature orientated.

Just out of curiosity, how much money do you budget for gas on a trip like this?

We are covering about 2,000 miles on this trip, so I expect about it to cost $800 in gas. That is getting 10 miles to the gallon at about $4.00. In the end I will probably spend a bit less than that, but I always try and guess high when budgeting. With the rising gas prices in the last few months I did trim the mileage of the trip considerably.

That may seem crazy high, but really the only other thing I need to budget for on these trips is the RV parks, which are usually about $40 a night, and any rental car we decide to use. We save a lot of money on food, in 10 days we have never eaten breakfast or dinner out, and we've packed lunches on quite a few days as well. Basically I'm spending the same amount on food as I would if I stayed home. Also we bought a CityPass for Seattle, which saved us about half on the entrance fee to all these museums and attractions.

My rough estimate of costs on most RV trips is $500 a week. That means $500 over what I pay in a typical week staying at home. It's really pretty reasonable, and it is honestly way more comfortable than staying at hotels.

We've thought about a small RV (20 feet or less) as we get older, but considering the way my hubby likes to drive the backroads, I don't think it'd work out too well. But it'd be nice to have a fold down bed and water tank for a sink faucet at least, sometimes. How long is yours, Hurlshot?

Some of those gigantic, decked out RV's are serious homes on wheels. Know a few couples with those. One even had one that automatically gets bigger at press of a button, to extend living area. I wouldn't want to drive one on anything but a major highway, tho. Like driving a mini-semi-truck or something. heh.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

There are a lot of options, LC. Mine is 26 feet with no slideouts, and it is small enough to drive comfortably down most streets. Parking it is a bit of a struggle, but we find a way.

You might be comfortable in a Class B RV, which is basically a large van.

plateau2.png

They have decent gas mileage, and they can come with all sorts of different amenities and layouts. But they are still a bit tight for my comfort level, and they actually run more expensive than the type I'm driving. That's because the Class B is a full vehicle, while mine is basically a chassis with a wooden house built on top.

The sprinter type Class C's are pretty awesome, a little wider but a lot more liveable. Plus those magic buttons that make the RV bigger are great, they are called slide outs and they give you a lot more floor space when you are parked without making it hard to maneuver on the road.

four-winds-chateau-citation-sprinter-exterior.jpg

Day 11: We drove down to a small place in Oregon named Camp Sherman today. We stopped for lunch in Portland on a street called Mississippi, it was a pretty nice little area. We ate at a place called Little Big Burger and got Ice cream form a place called Ruby Jewel Scoops. Then I went across the street to a place called Amnesiac Brewery. Unfortunately we forgot the camera, yes I see the humor in that. I bought a couple of these from there.

003.JPG

I have surprisingly good internet out here in the boondocks, so I'll post some nature stuff tomorrow.

• Like 1

This thread is pretty cool Hurlie. I feel like I've been on vacation reading it. :)

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That last pic makes RV'ing look so comfy/relaxing. :lol:

And yeah, the RV's that are sorta like tall vans or small delivery trucks would probably be what we'd get, if we ever get one. Interior size isn't too much issue since it's just us two, tho being tall enough for hub to largely stand up in would be a requirement. I'm too short to drive those things so he has to be comfy with visibility stuff. We could rent one a few times a year instead I suppose but meh....I hate renting.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Day 13: Another day hanging out in Camp Sherman. It's a bit cold, so we've been bundled up outside wand watching movies most of the day inside. We did snap this picture of Black Butte, which is that mountain that Deschutes Brewery named their Porter after.

003.JPG

Tomorrow we head to Reno to stay with some family, and then home. I might not have internet for a couple days their, so don't be surprised if I don't post for a couple days.

LC, renting is a bit expensive, because you pay the rental cost on top of all the campsite fees. We thought about trying a rental too, but it turned out to be so affordable to buy that we didn't bother.

Day 16: We are home! My house feels like a mansion now after living in the limited space for weeks. The kids are running around looking at their toys like they are brand new.

Reno was great, our family watched the kids last night and gave me a chance to take my wife out to dinner and a movie. It's great to be home, I might post a few last pictures later when I find my camera. Thanks for all the comments, I hope people enjoyed my journal :)

• Like 1

It's amazing how, no matter how awesome/relaxing/great the vacation is/was, there's still...no place like home. Which doesn't mean I haven't wanted to stay longer in some places than I had the time for. But I'm always so glad to return home to "my" space, too.

Thanks for sharing. :)