HBO's Game of Thrones pt 2

Tale

"Why wouldn't you  want the TV series to be like the books? If you had read them you would want the series to be like them because they are just so well written and captivating"

Because the books are still there. If you find them so awesome go read them. Any changes  to the material for tv/movie doesn't change one thing about the book. I, for one, don't mind there being switches. Plus, sometimes the material can be silly - like the ages for GOT characters - even the damn author admits this.  No way does it make sense that 13 year old book Dany can do the things she does. That's just silly.

"Considering every time they've diverged from the books its been handled horribly, no, not good."

No. You. Are. Wrong. Period.

Volo I must apologize, I made my point in a terrible way and I wasn't very constructive

What I wanted to say was its excellent you are committed and interested in the TV series, it is an incredible experience when you enjoy something as superlative as Game of Thrones

But you must read the books  because they will add so much more  to your overall understanding of the story and reveal new things 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The TV show has done a really good job so far, and even improves on the book in certain cases. However it clearly works best when dealing in dialogue and drama, you never really get the huge cinematic "Lord of the Rings" scenes due to the series' budget. Just simple scenes like the King visiting Winterfell in the first episode - in reality it was thousands of people accompanying the king. And of course the budget restrictions means we barely get any Direwolf fighting. What annoyed me the most so far though was the lousy job they did with the costume on "the guy Bran meets" (avoiding name spoiler :p) in his last scene. Let's just say the character is very significant for several reasons. The tv-series however portray him as just a relatively old man sitting in some trees. They said the reason was they had run out of money at that point, but this is how he's supposed to look (note the eye):

Close_up_TEC_Marc_Simonetti.jpg

No idea why they thought CGI skeletons (why not just have white walkers/zombies attack them?) was a good thing to spend money on instead of getting his look right.

No idea why they thought CGI skeletons (why not just have white walkers/zombies attack them?) was a good thing to spend money on instead of getting his look right.

I'd wager a lot that they're going to diminish the significance of this character in the show. The significance is not easily explained, and the way they've handled Bran's storyline all around really hasn't been good. It's probably the worst handled so far of all the storylines.

Season 4 really took a massive turn for the worse I think. For the most part (Rob's girl being the biggest exception) the changes in the first few seasons were understandable for production reasons. ie: Abridging scenes, merging multiple characters from the book into one, Tyrion getting bonked on the head in season 1 so they didn't have to show the awesome battle where he fights rather than is passed out, the conversations on a beach between Davos and Stannis rather than at Dragonstone so they didn't have to spend a lot of money portraying that castle, etc. In season 4 though there are multiple instances of completely new, unnecessary, and really just 'what are you doing producers showing us this crap while at the same time ignoring important story elements'. The Brienne and Arya scene is another example of this.

CGI skeletons are better eye candy and people can more readily grasp the significance of the White Walkers than they can the characters that you mention.

Agree with Fighter here. It's always most important to me that they follow the spirit rather than the letter. I used to be bothered by it, but then Watchmen happened and I realized that the parts that actually did follow the comic to the letter were boring as heck - the pacing was completely off. What works in a comic book or a book will usually not work in movie at all.

The "Others" (white walkers) being described as wearing Rainbow Armor didn't give me a great impression from the start. Eventually I gave up halfway through book 1. No specific reason, it just didn't grab me and there's no use to keep reading if you're bored. I actually gave up halfway through the first season too, but then people nagged at me enough to keep watching so eventually I gave in and it actually did get a lot better.

Yeah, after I read on a Wiki that Daario (the womanizer merc captain) looks like this:

People thought Jack Sparrow was awesome and charming back when the first Pirates film was released. Daario in the books is pretty much a more ruthless, less drunk version of Jack Sparrow. Silly looks but incredible swag and confidence. I think this picture is better:

asoiaf___daario_naharis_by_justanor-d7vz

I don't really mind the change, but he is definitely more boring in the tv-series. Very generic pretty guy.

Edited by Thingolfin

I don't really mind the change, but he is definitely more boring in the tv-series. Very generic pretty guy.

Ultimately this is where the big difference between books, comics, written materials and video manifest themselves.. A guy like that would look ridiculous on modern TV, he's closer to an 80s dystopian sci fi character.

Same with most comic book heroes - there's a reason why they didn't dress Hugh Jackman like this

Marvel-Comics-Classic-Wolverine-Costume-

TV is apperantly not a great medium for characters that dress larger than life. (Unless the story specifically calls for it of course, like The Cell etc)

Fortune favors the bald.

Agree with Fighter here. It's always most important to me that they follow the spirit rather than the letter. I used to be bothered by it, but then Watchmen happened and I realized that the parts that actually did follow the comic to the letter were boring as heck - the pacing was completely off. What works in a comic book or a book will usually not work in movie at all.

You guys don't seem to know what 'uppity' is.