When your business plan is based on a cartoon film...

Walsingham

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-18308335

This is just sad. I honestly feel bad for my countrymen if this is what their plan for post-independence is based on. It's as if the fool thinks we're not in the middle of an appalling recession. Inward investment? From where? Why?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-18308335

This is just sad. I honestly feel bad for my countrymen if this is what their plan for post-independence is based on. It's as if the fool thinks we're not in the middle of an appalling recession. Inward investment? From where? Why?

You're Scottish? :blink:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Scotland is currently part of Great Britain, or what else do you mean?

So Scots are British but not English? :ermm:

So why did Wals call them countrymen? I'm very confused.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

England is part of Great Britain, so are Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. None of the latter are English, but all are British. Britain and England are not the same thing. Scots are Wals' countrymen because Great Britain is the country they belong to.

Edit: Actually I have to correct myself, Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom but not part of Britain I believe.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I wish some of our more liberal states would declare independence.

Which would leave "real America" in the same situation Scotland would find itself: out of money. If you look at the balance of payments between each state's citizens and the federal government in aggregate, the net of federal taxes, spending, and transfers is, in effect, a whole lot of money being taken from the Northeast and the West Coast and given to the states in between.

• Like 1

I knew someone would bring that up eventually. I think we'd be fine without the redistributionist subsidies, they always do more harm than good anyway. The extra economic growth we'd get from sane economic policies would more than make up for that. Why is it the job of the Federal government to redistribute income between states?

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Which would leave "real America" in the same situation Scotland would find itself: out of money. If you look at the balance of payments between each state's citizens and the federal government in aggregate, the net of federal taxes, spending, and transfers is, in effect, a whole lot of money being taken from the Northeast and the West Coast and given to the states in between.

On the other hand the change on the House of Representative and Congress could work out to our favor. Although that is hoping for much.

village_idiot.gif

I knew someone would bring that up eventually. I think we'd be fine without the redistributionist subsidies, they always do more harm than good anyway. The extra economic growth we'd get from sane economic policies would more than make up for that. Why is it the job of the Federal government to redistribute income between states?

It's less a function of purely redistribution than it is of that higher incomes pay more tax, and per capita incomes are generally higher in the "bluer" states. Also, locations of major military installations make a big difference in terms of where money gets spent.

As for the "extra economic growth" thing, well, good luck with that. Sounds like wishcasting to me.

On the other hand the change on the House of Representative and Congress could work out to our favor. Although that is hoping for much.

Change is coming in November I suspect. And I daresay you will not like it when it does.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

England is part of Great Britain, so are Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. None of the latter are English, but all are British. Britain and England are not the same thing. Scots are Wals' countrymen because Great Britain is the country they belong to.

Edit: Actually I have to correct myself, Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom but not part of Britain I believe.

you forgot Cornwall...

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It's less a function of purely redistribution than it is of that higher incomes pay more tax, and per capita incomes are generally higher in the "bluer" states. Also, locations of major military installations make a big difference in terms of where money gets spent.

As for the "extra economic growth" thing, well, good luck with that. Sounds like wishcasting to me.

Those taxes are for redistribution though, miltiary spending aside. I'm not gowing to retread the economic growth argument, but that would be one way to find out, if historical evidence isn't enough.

Those taxes are for redistribution though, miltiary spending aside. I'm not gowing to retread the economic growth argument, but that would be one way to find out, if historical evidence isn't enough.

Beware what you wish for. I think that is a near certainty in the not too distant future. I believe it is necassary, unavoidable and undesireable.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Beware what you wish for. I think that is a near certainty in the not too distant future. I believe it is necassary, unavoidable and undesireable.

Maybe i'm too jaded from the last 3 upcoming apocalypses but i'm not buying into this whole foretelling. I mean I still have a mix CD full of songs with end of the world themes, but i'm beginning to doubt I'll ever play it.

• Like 1

village_idiot.gif

Maybe it will never happen. I hope not. I think in the long run it would be for the best but in the short term it would be terrible. But I've made my own preparations if it ever does.

Thomas Sowell