RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

(Link stolen from GAF):

Nice. But I don't really see anything there that UE3 couldn't do. At least they updated the toolset significantly. I really like the Maya-like Hypershade Editor.

I don't know if you have used UDK but the current version didn't do a lot of what was advertised like all the realtime. So i'm not holding my breath until I get a chance to test it.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

"Huge problems ahead" for mid-tier console developers.

Mid-tier? Those died a long time ago already with the advent of the Xbox 360 and PS3. If a company with so much muscle and technology like Crytek already shies away from AAA, excuse me, AAAA titles (the new ****) by announcing to go completely F2P in the future, what's gonna happen to the likes of Obsidian?

Oh I see, so Southpark is like that new direction for Obsidian's future? O_o.

Edited by Morgoth

South Park RPG comapred to the stuff you usually play is pure gold ;)

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

And? I haven't played plenty of games I know sucked. It's why I avoid them in the first place. L0L

But, hey, I bet you never prejudge games and buy every single game out there. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Huge problems ahead" for mid-tier console developers.

Mid-tier? Those died a long time ago already with the advent of the Xbox 360 and PS3. If a company with so much muscle and technology like Crytek already shies away from AAA, excuse me, AAAA titles (the new ****) by announcing to go completely F2P in the future, what's gonna happen to the likes of Obsidian?

Oh I see, so Southpark is like that new direction for Obsidian's future? O_o.

So even after the last E3 there's people that think that the future is AAA games? The indie market is growing and discontent for AAA game series is being voiced, even the casual audience has probably played enough clones to be sick of the generic. If Indie games can beat AAA in terms of pricing and enjoyment mid-tier producers have a shot by producing innovative games that appeal to those seeking for something other than what AAA games have become.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

DS3 *is* good

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

So even after the last E3 there's people that think that the future is AAA games?

It's all publishers know, the blockbuster model has been drummed into them repeatedly by MBA types for the past decade or so. To an extent it's fair too, if you want to run a highly profitable large company you can do it with ongoing WoW, a CoD Iteration + perhaps a Blizzard title; or maybe 100 successful indies, a year. Being publicly listed companies means that most publishers have limited scope for long term thinking and planning because there's always the push to make money now and in the 'safest' (almost always actually means the most conservative) way possible. It's extremely difficult to say that your business model is out of date because that will almost always mean a precipitous drop in share value and 'you' carrying the can for it, and people will inevitably point at CoD/ GoW/ Halo/ GTA and ask why you can't shift those numbers when others can.

Basically, if you're a Paradox sized publisher running mid tier projects with maybe 30 odd employees you can do fine on six releases a year selling into the 100ks. If you're an EA or Activision size with multiple thousands of employees you have to sell blockbuster because it's the only way to maintain yourself so their options are limited.

It's all publishers know, the blockbuster model has been drummed into them repeatedly by MBA types for the past decade or so. To an extent it's fair too, if you want to run a highly profitable large company you can do it with ongoing WoW, a CoD Iteration + perhaps a Blizzard title; or maybe 100 successful indies, a year. Being publicly listed companies means that most publishers have limited scope for long term thinking and planning because there's always the push to make money now and in the 'safest' (almost always actually means the most conservative) way possible. It's extremely difficult to say that your business model is out of date because that will almost always mean a precipitous drop in share value and 'you' carrying the can for it, and people will inevitably point at CoD/ GoW/ Halo/ GTA and ask why you can't shift those numbers when others can.

Basically, if you're a Paradox sized publisher running mid tier projects with maybe 30 odd employees you can do fine on six releases a year selling into the 100ks. If you're an EA or Activision size with multiple thousands of employees you have to sell blockbuster because it's the only way to maintain yourself so their options are limited.

Indie games aren't likely to ever compete with AAA on terms of production values, barring a massive change in technology. But they will still find their niche and; unfortunately, if they become successful they will find their way into AAA companies.

That said, there's a lot of AAA series that seem to have ran their course and are now taking a turn for the worse. What is worst, there are very few new successful IPs emerging

village_idiot.gif

Yes, Volo. it really is. it's not the best game ever, not even one of the best. but it's better than DS1, and *that* game is almost universally considered a masterpiece (in reality it's a piece of crap, but you know that already)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

What I'm realizing is that there is a smaller PC gaming scene where there isn't DRM and it isn't in the media or covered by the hype. These publishers don't sell in the numbers that the large publishers do...but they don't need to. What's fascinating is that they are popular in their own right. It's more like the old late 80s and early 90s style of gaming has returned with small house publishers that none of the media, the masses, or anyone with popularity knows about. However those that are into those games know all about them.

It's in that scene where remarkably over the past half a decade it appears adventure games have been thriving (like the old adventure games that I hated to tell the truth, but my wife loved), and turn-based games still are doing well. I suppose Paradox is on the top end of that group (as in, the VERY top, almost so popular as to be out of the stream of that group...so basically the Sierra of the early to mid 90s? in relation to popularity and how well they are known, not the games they put out). It's like an entire underworld of PC gamers are out there, but no one realizes about them and the mainstream gamers don't even care as it's not the pop...pop...action and see the graphics are so wonderful type crowd.

Some must be successful just seeing how many have been released and keep being released (another of the top tier almost too successful games like this would be the Nancy Drew games by Herinteractive). Others I think are now moving more towards the mobile scene. Just interesting how there's a thriving gaming underworld on computers that is just about completely ignored by gaming sites, mainstream gamers and just about everyone (sort of like PC gaming all the way up until it's hey day around the mid 90s).