RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Now people may leave Bio...but going and coming is part of that business in computer games overall.

While I agree with Gorgon in that Bioware's still doing quite well for the moment, we can't ignore the fire they've come under recently, and the fact that due to good old groupthink, their next game's probably going to have to address the backlash in some way (and from what they've dripped from the next Dragon Age project, it would seem that it's exactly what they're doing). Also, while I understand that people've left Bioware before, they did have 2 key Mass Effect team members leave during the ME3 development cycle (Lead Gameplay Designer Christina Norman and producer Jesse Houston) - both interestingly to Riot Games...

Dragon age 3 is going to adress the backlash of the bad ending to Mass Effect 3. That makes no sense. Although I predict the absence of prominent primary colours in the closing cinematic.

Seems to me the first step would be to admit that the ME3 ending was bad, they haven't even done that.

No, it's going to (attempt to) address systemic issues with DA 2. I'm sure we'll be back to the normal Bioware story-by-numbers format everybody was mocking before they did DA2 and ME3 (and, if you want, people saw the abortions that came out when they broke their formula).

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

As much as I enjoyed DXHR, the jury's still out on Eidos Montreal. DXHR was probably started before some of our younger members were born (Attention people without a sense of humour, hyperbole), they released The Missing Link with a "we're just getting started!" and new menu for DLC episodes (and nothing has been released since), and now the kind of platform shifting which leads to duke nukem forevers. Sigh.

(Oops, double post. Je me couvre de cendres.)

Edited by Nepenthe

I believe the decline of Bio began when they sold themselves to Elevation Partners, not EA. It all became about money grabbing then.

I disagree- Bioware has never been about 'artistic integrity' for its own benefit, it's always been about money. They've made hard nosed business decisions like cutting off Interplay and produced utter tripe (NWN OC) without any input from anyone at EA/ EP.

• Like 1

"utter tripe (NWN OC)"

NWN OC is better than most of the games you probabaly like. Utter tripe is what I'd consider most of Interplay games were.

BIO has more 'artistic integrity' than obsidian who just basically copies others with their endless sequels or trying to catch up with others.

Obsidian has made a couple of great games but they have made more than a few 'tripe' games. *cough* SOZ *cough* AP *cough* DS3 *cough*

NWN OC = 75% DS3+ AP = 25% combined. L0L

P.S. BIo cut off Interplay b/c Interplay wanted them to release NWN before theyw ere ready to and it was costing more money but BIO decided no it wasn't ready for release + interplay was stealing money from them.

P.S. All companies are about money. Once you start selling soemthing youa re about money. period. This si true for the biggest to the samllest companies. It's not about only money but how much money.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I believe the decline of Bio began when they sold themselves to Elevation Partners, not EA. It all became about money grabbing then.

I disagree- Bioware has never been about 'artistic integrity' for its own benefit, it's always been about money. They've made hard nosed business decisions like cutting off Interplay and produced utter tripe (NWN OC) without any input from anyone at EA/ EP.

Almost everyone in business wants to make money, it's a matter of where you place your priorities, and from following what they said about starting to make "event games" and trying to appeal to a huge audience and similar quotes around the EP purchase, combined with the fact that's when they started to make crap games, I draw the conclusion that that was the breaking point. Also you normally wouldn't sell your company unless your goal is now to cash in.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

"utter tripe (NWN OC)"

NWN OC is better than most of the games you probabaly like. Utter tripe is what I'd consider most of Interplay games were.

BIO has more 'artistic integrity' than obsidian who just basically copies others with their endless sequels or trying to catch up with others.

Obsidian has made a couple of great games but they have made more than a few 'tripe' games. *cough* SOZ *cough* AP *cough* DS3 *cough*

NWN OC = 75% DS3+ AP = 25% combined. L0L

P.S. BIo cut off Interplay b/c Interplay wanted them to release NWN before theyw ere ready to and it was costing more money but BIO decided no it wasn't ready for release + interplay was stealing money from them.

P.S. All companies are about money. Once you start selling soemthing youa re about money. period. This si true for the biggest to the samllest companies. It's not about only money but how much money.

AP was friggen awesome. I win. Thanks for playing.

Sales numbers don't always tell what's good and what's bad. Neither do critics.

Otherwise Titanic would be one of the greatest movies ever made (hint: It's not) and everyone would never know about True Love, wesley, and Buttercup.....

Okay...that last one isn't one of the greatest movies ever made either...but it's a fun one.

• Like 1

NWN OC was one of the biggest disappointments in gaming I have ever had... I was able to finish it for the first time after I started it for the third time with Undrentide expansion installed, because it was so bland and boring. Even at that time when I got into act III, I had to stop for a almost six months until I was able to pick that game again... The 3rd act was one of the weakest and most unfinished parts of the RPGs, I have ever experienced.

Even Jade Empire seemed more polished fun than NWN OC!!!

The only thing which saved original NWN from being utter failure are the awesome mods, persistent worlds and other user made content... And that was the only reason why it sold so many copies...

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

What's the plan for Dragon Age 3 btw?

They've said close to nothing. The last thing we know is that they were going to release an awakening style expansion for DA2, and that one got axed "after the t-shirts had already been printed". They've shown some concept art re: how npc customisation would work and so on, but officially they haven't even said they are working on DA3. They're fond of releasing stuff at Gamescom (this year's show is next week), but I suspect all we're going to get there is more ME3 (stuff on the wiiu release, and maybe a date on the Leviathan).

Edited by Nepenthe

Sony going to talk about "The future of Playstation" next week at gamescom

What could that be?

1. Gaikai nonsense

2. More PS Vita nonsense

3. PS3 Ultra-Slim announcement?

4. ???

Was there anything else we'd like to get announced? Hmm? Nahhh.

Wonder if they'll actually try to beat MS to the market this time.

That said, I doubt I'll buy another Sony console; I only got it for the blu-ray capabilities anyway. I think I have only 2 sony exclusives (and haven't finished uncharted 3).

If they release a PS3 ultra slim, I'm getting one. Tired of my noisy, fat Xbox 360 and having to pay to be able to play online. I also need a Blu-Ray player.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

If they release a PS3 ultra slim, I'm getting one. Tired of my noisy, fat Xbox 360 and having to pay to be able to play online. I also need a Blu-Ray player.

PSHome stinks though, I miss the Xbox Live setup.

Still, everything else about my PS3 is sweet. The Blu-Ray player is solid, it's quiet, and I've never had any technical problems in the few years I've owned it. Given that I broke three Xbox's during the same span, I'm happy.