Cyberpunk 2020 by CD Projekt

Will there be a Linux version? All the Kickstarter and Humble Bundle games have one, and for the Humble Bundle games the Linux version makes as much money as Mac and Windows because Linux users choose to pay more.

It's not in any way similar to a HB or kickstarter title, it's a self proclaimed traditional AAA high (well, relative to kickstarter class) budget game on an engine that runs on PC360- not even PS3- and almost certainly with system requirements far beyond a kickstarter class game.

It'd be nice if they made a Linux version (hell, make a PS3 one too for that matter) but I wouldn't get any hope up for it. The only real positive is they have done some work with OpenGL before via Witcher 1 though that was an entirely different engine.

Edited by Zoraptor

my gaming group once all picked rockerboys as their class, they lasted half of one game session. they started a riot at their bands gig, and were killed by police about an hour later during the chaos. to this day I don't understand what they were hoping to accomplish.

Well OBVIOUSLY they were a lame punk rock band - so they got what they deserved.

And OBVIOUSLY I'll be playing death metal - with killer riffs! \m/

I wish I knew even a fraction about the source material for Cyberpunk 2020 so I could come up with witty "inside joke" comments of my own.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I wish I knew even a fraction about the source material for Cyberpunk 2020 so I could come up with witty "inside joke" comments of my own.

Well, find some. :p

I got a copy somewhere.... need to find it....

• 2 weeks later...

Interview with Marcin Iwinski and Michal Platkow-Gilewski

http://venturebeat.com/2012/06/10/the-witcher-developer-cd-projekt-red-talks-cyberpunk/

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Interesting read. Not much info still, though, so until they're farther into development, a lot of these interviews will sound more like hype pieces than actual info about what we'll see in the game.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

"We are not recreating what Mike Pondsmith (pictured) did"

this line worries me just a little, it seems to be in relation to the discussion of possible game mechanics. If the mechanics are not the same, or at least mostly similar to the mechanics of Cyberpunk 2020, then this game is going swiftly down the wrong tracks :(

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

It could simply mean some mechanics that work in PnP don't translate well to video gaming, and so they're going to have to tweek some of those rather than try to find ways to implement them?

"We are not recreating what Mike Pondsmith (pictured) did"

this line worries me just a little, it seems to be in relation to the discussion of possible game mechanics. If the mechanics are not the same, or at least mostly similar to the mechanics of Cyberpunk 2020, then this game is going swiftly down the wrong tracks :(

Well the only 2 games from CDProjeck are QTE event action games, what are you expecting? I personally am not expecting much. And I LOVE the PnP setting. <3

Well, I guess I'm just hoping since they bothered paying to use the cyberpunk license (which was probably very cheap but still) they would try and actually adapt the system, at least to the extent baldurs fate did with ad&d

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

One of the reasons they were happy about the license was that they had a basis for the mechanics instead of having to do them from scratch themselves. I seriously doubt they want to revolutionize the mechanics, though they're probably going to be adapted in some ways, I don't think the title will be, say, turn-based.

It could simply mean some mechanics that work in PnP don't translate well to video gaming, and so they're going to have to tweek some of those rather than try to find ways to implement them?

They probably want the setting more than the PnP game mechanics. Cheaper in the long run than making things up from scratch. I'm expecting a sort of Cyber2020 Deus Ex rather than a faithful recreation of the system.

i'm trying to prepare myself for the almost inevitable disappointment that this game will bring to me :(

temple of elemental evil, baldurs gate, fallout: all great games that adapted (or created reasonable adaptations/takeoffs of) pnp game mechanics.

it can be done. CDProjekt should do it too.

Edited by entrerix

I'm expecting a sort of Cyber2020 Deus Ex rather than a faithful recreation of the system.

I think that's pretty close... except with classes and more branching?

i'm trying to prepare myself for the almost inevitable disappointment that this game will bring to me :(

temple of elemental evil, baldurs gate, fallout: all great games that adapted (or created reasonable adaptations/takeoffs of) pnp game mechanics.

it can be done. CDProjekt should do it too.

I don't know if they should do it. I mean obviously it's something you want, but if they're aiming for consoles too then a shiny, action-y game seems like a safer bet I suppose... like I said Deus Ex with classes might be a close guess.

But then why even bother licensing the game... Ah well...

Maybe you should wait until we have info on the game's mechanics before getting depressed about them not being faithful to the PnP mechanics, especially when they're collaborating directly with the man who invented the game?

• Like 2

So they would already have a fleshed out template to work with, and not have to create an entire setting from scratch?

Maybe you should wait until we have info on the game's mechanics before getting depressed about them not being faithful to the PnP mechanics, especially when they're collaborating directly with the man who invented the game?

You've been here long enough to not really expect anything else, haven't you?

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Depression first. Optimism after I start hearing more about the mechanics :)

• Like 1

Depression first. Optimism after I start hearing more about the mechanics :)

Never a time for optimism. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

CD Projekt - Making A Complex Story More Accessible

Speaking to Gamasutra in a recent interview, key members of CD Projekt RED explained that the studio learned some very important lessons after the release of latest blockbuster title, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. Most notably, it has realized that you can't expect players to readily embrace a complex game world -- you have to ease them into it.