Cyberpunk 2020 by CD Projekt

oh boy... things are looking bad

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

It's valid for certain elements - in the sequel for instance I personally couldn't quite follow the first part of the prologue for example with the Nilfgaardian ambassador and what was going on: I had no idea what Nilfgaarde was (not that it was mentioned apart from the equally meaningless term "black ones" used) and had simply assumed the guy was part of the kingdom's clergy or whatnot. No help to be found in the printed documentation: I had the artbook, the game mechanics manual, and a game guide, but nothing of the actual world the game is set in.

Origin was a great example of providing supporting material to help understand the game world, and I would prefer that path be taken more by modern games. Wing Commander for example had the famous "Claw Marks" manual that read like an internal ship newsletter and provided background on your future wingmates, foes, and the game in general. Crusader had that cool supplement, which purported to be a WEC dossier on the chief resistance operatives. Strike Commander had the excellent "Sudden Death" merc magazine conceit. These were all relatively small, nothing like the massive Maxis manuals which had a lot of dry reference reading: Simfarm for example had what seemed like an exhaustive history of real world farming techniques. But they were invaluable for getting into the swing of the game world - very apt for the company motto of "We Create Worlds."

The nature of the printed word also makes it a vastly superior method to provide backstory than say, DAO's codex system which is more of a distraction when you're busy trying to play the game. This is a relatively rare case I suppose where segregating instead of integrating story from mechanics is the superior design.

Maybe it'd even be a good opportunity to include a novel or two.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

"Just to make sure we're understood correctly by our fans, this does not mean that we are going to simplify our games. That's definitely not the case," Iwinski said.

How many times have I heard this being said...

This doesn't give a good vibe even if they might have a valid point behind it all.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Is Cyberpunk the one where you have a humanity statistic that degenerates as you acquire cybernetic augmentations? If so I wonder how they'll deal with that, seems quite punishing for the average completionist minded rpg fellow. How would you represent such a loss of humanity? Poor social skills, lack of empathy, getting a job at EA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Well not so bad, if it's just making the world understandable. People did mention that as a bit of confusion when playing the PC version. But knowing how things go, I guess it'll be the usual kind of "accessibility".

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Bloody hell, it's Lexx the game.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

looks a lot like Hellgate: London

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I'm not a lot into shooters, but E.Y.E. is pretty fun. A bit too hard for me, but there are sufficent rpg elements to give me entertainment (some story and different way to play the game depending on cyber/psi development, a deus ex touch).

I saw it a while back but I shirked away from it thinking that it was a Online Shooter with a RPG flavor.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

• 3 months later...

http://www.gog.com/news/come_watch_gogcom_live_on_18_october_2012_at_1800_gmt

Seem's they'll be some details released about this today.

Edited by Nightshape

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I hadn't seen much information about this, even on their own forums, since the original announcement of the game. So I was wondering what was going on.

Hopefully it's a good update, and not just a minor "yeah, we're still plugging away" note.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

If we get even so much as a screenshot today I may need to change my tidy whities. I'm so totally bursting with excitement that I'm most probably setting myself up for disappointment. :blush:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

GOGBook, innovative!

Mac support. Wonder what this announcement with Interplay is supposed to be.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That was mostly underwhelming since I don't own a Mac. I do however like the look of the REDKit toolkit and I am excited to hear that Cyberpunk 2077 (I guess we'll need to change the name of this thread ;) ) will be sandbox.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's clearly very very early during development. He did mention something like that they were testing to see if there was a market, that they'd be overwhelmed by the response they've had, and also that they're wanting to work with the community.

It seems really early in development, it's rare that anyone even talks about a project this early on, a lot of projects that are this early don't even receive announcement. I don't think we'll be seeing this one in the next couple of years. I get the impression that as soon as they're satisfied they'll likely show more and more of the game collecting feedback as they go.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!