Cyberpunk 2020 by CD Projekt

Have virtually no interest in cyberpunk at all -- there are days when I'd even consider it a strike against a game -- but since its CDPR doing it... will keep an eye on it.

Didn't know about the game but, with a brief glance at the wiki, this can be interesting. The setting seems to be dry, which probably suites the format CDPR used in the Witcher series. I wonder how the concept which argumentation can cost humanity can play out.

if they really are trying to emulate the feel of the pnp game, we might end up with a game that feels like fallout or baldurs gate. crpg's that try to emulate pnp games seem to end up better than crpg's that try to emulate other crpg's... they get too far from the original source

Not sure about the combat mechanics. Whether they go for tactical simulation or action game, they should go for it without hesitation since all the middle ground mechanics have ended up with mediocracy. Considering the current popularity, the possibility of its turning out to be a tactical simulation would be slim, though.

Obsidian was supposed to bring us games like this!!! WTF went wrong?!? At least they are helping with Wasteland 2.

Something like "shared universe" can be nice - like FO3 to FO:NV, CDPR designing Europe while Obsidian doing California, for example.

I think it could be awesome.

Did anyone else get the cp vibe from the Matrix (original)? At least the computer hacking portion of it?

Overall, I hope it has the dark cities where it's always night, and everyone is in black and wears sunglasses (in the dark, in the rain, at night)...

:)

I have zero idea what Cyberpunk 2020 is about, but cyberpunk game from CD Projekt = takemymoney.jpg

It's an old-skool take on early cyberpunk, so it's more crunchy than the later stuff. In the RPG (PnP) you had some genuinely cool character builds and the setting was pretty cool.

The closest thing I've played was an old thing on my Commodore Amiga a few lifetimes ago called "Bloodnet". Featuring Vampires and cyberpunky stuff. Fun game, even if it kicked my butt with stupid encounters I couldn't win in time. Always regretted not finishing it. Had some fancy (for its time) crafting options (called "Jury Rigging" or some such)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

So for those who are familiar with the rulebook, what are the more popular classes that players can select from? Which ones are most likely to be included in the game, assuming they go with a limited number of classes rather than allowing every single one that's available in the PnP game?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

@Bos_Hybrid; Played The Witcher 2?

And from what I've read so far, you've got a customizable protagonist this time.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

@Bos_Hybrid; Played The Witcher 2?

Yep. More of a comment on how CDP handles nudity/sex. Honestly a fade to black looks better. Graphics/animation aren't at a level where it doesn't look odd. Resources better spent elsewhere.

Good news about customizable protagonist.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

True, I don't like it either, but atleast they've made the slight improvement from the previous games about skipping out on the cards bit.

Customisable characters, different classes. Lots of weapons. Non-linear.
Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Gotto see Johnny Mnemonic now, to get that Cyberpunk feeling.. :rolleyes:

Get room service beforehand.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I remember arguing in Jr. High over what was better Cyberpunk or Shadowrun. They were both cool though, so I'm happy to hear this.

i can tell you right now that shadowrun is totally lame and dumb compared to Cyberpunk 2020. shadowrun has magic and trolls in it. thats about as un-cyberpunk as you can get.

:biggrin:

Edited by entrerix
  • Like 1

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I remember arguing in Jr. High over what was better Cyberpunk or Shadowrun. They were both cool though, so I'm happy to hear this.

i can tell you right now that shadowrun is totally lame and dumb compared to Cyberpunk 2020. shadowrun has magic and trolls in it. thats about as un-cyberpunk as you can get.

:biggrin:

Reminds me of Shadowrun: Gibson Edition

http://old.shadowrun4.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/SRGEPromo.pdf

i can tell you right now that shadowrun is totally lame and dumb compared to Cyberpunk 2020.

Infidel!

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

my gaming group once all picked rockerboys as their class, they lasted half of one game session. they started a riot at their bands gig, and were killed by police about an hour later during the chaos. to this day I don't understand what they were hoping to accomplish.

• Like 1

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

my gaming group once all picked rockerboys as their class, they lasted half of one game session. they started a riot at their bands gig, and were killed by police about an hour later during the chaos. to this day I don't understand what they were hoping to accomplish.

HKC6.jpg

Cleary this was their goal.

Cyberpunk2020.jpg I wanted to make the thread because I absolutely love this pnp game, and am very excited that CD Projekt is adapting it into a video game. All I know so far is that the crpg will have classes (hopefully lifted directly from the book, because if this game doesn't let you play a drug dealing Fixer or cyborg fascist mercenary Solo then I will be greatly disappointed) i really really really hope its a turn based game, because that will be the only way to capture the essence of the combat system, which is very very fun and very very lethal.e edits: here are some links: http://kotaku.com/5914314/the-witcher-creators-are-creating-the-official-cyberpunk-role+playing-game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_2020 http://com275artoffilm.wikia.com/wiki/Cyberpunk_2020 http://store.fastcommerce.com/talsorian/cyberpunk-2020-ff80818117a128240117a49939c74360-c.html

Sounds great.

I love CD Projekt/GoG.

HKC6.jpg

Cleary this was their goal.

As someone who is currently playing as a musician/mystic visionary in a scifi PnP setting (my character is essentially Sun Ra), that sounds like a lot of fun.

I've never played the Cyberpunk game, but it sounds like a promising system/setting indeed.