Obsidian currently working on next-gen console title

funcroc

In other news: I just checked out the SA forums and it seems ex-Obsidianitie Patric K. Mills got a job at CDProjekt in Poland.

Well, at least if he's no longer working for Obsidian he's going from one great RPG studio to another. 8)

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

In other news: I just checked out the SA forums and it seems ex-Obsidianitie Patric K. Mills got a job at CDProjekt in Poland.

Well, at least if he's no longer working for Obsidian he's going from one great RPG studio to another. 8)

Well, he actually got laid off/left in 08 already so it has been a while. Was responsible for the rom-hub in AP.

He may have mentioned it, but I can't recall what he did in between but I'm pretty sure he didn't have an industry-job and has been hunting quite a while.

Edited by C2B

Well, he actually got laid off/left in 08 already so it has been a while. Was responsible for the rom-hub in AP.

He may have mentioned it, but I can't recall what he did in between but I'm pretty sure he didn't have an industry-job and has been hunting quite a while.

Sucks that he was out of the industry (hopefully not completely out of a job) for such a long time. It's good that he's back in the game now, and with a great company. :)

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• 3 weeks later...

Off-Topic

Brendan Booth has been promoted to Tools Programmer

Tools Programmer

Obsidian Entertainment

Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Computer Games industry

December 2012 – Present (1 month)

Tools Programmer Intern

Obsidian Entertainment

July 2012 – December 2012 (6 months) Irvine, CA

QA Intern

Obsidian Entertainment

June 2012 – September 2012 (4 months) Irvine, CA

1 1 person has recommended this user at Obsidian Entertainment

Gameplay and Tools Programmer

Thunderfish Entertainment

Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Computer Games industry

January 2012 – July 2012 (7 months) Irvine, CA

Edited by C2B

I haven't seen him around the office, well that doesn't mean he isn't here mind... Just don't recall having seen that face around these parts. I'm in a corner, with programmers... We don't get out much.... Potatoes.

• Like 1

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I haven't seen him around the office, well that doesn't mean he isn't here mind... Just don't recall having seen that face around these parts. I'm in a corner, with programmers... We don't get out much.... Potatoes.

I was wondering where you ended up.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Looking for a Senior 3D Artist and Enviroment Artist. Both are empasizing the creation of highly detailed and realistic assets.

Didn't Paul Fish talk about Cryengine 3 in one of his tweets.......

Senior 3D Artist

Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a talented, self-motivated senior 3Dartist to collaborate with a growing team of developers. This artist will be responsible for creating highly detailed and realistic assets and export them to the game engine. Using their expert knowledge of shape and form, proportions, color and design principles, this artist will model complex meshes and LODs, generate UV's create textures, design and apply materials, rig, export and test the assets in-game through to completion.

Requirements:

• High proficiency with 3ds Max, Z-Brush and Photoshop, with emphasis on highly realistic in-game results.
  • 4-year degree form an accredited college or university or equivalent industry experience
  • Excellent High and Low poly modeling skills, with demonstrated skill in texture projection/render-to-texture techniques.
  • Demonstrated knowledge of hard surface modeling and concern with how functional things are manufactured and assembled.
  • Basic understanding of color theory
  • 3+ years in the game industry with 1 or more shipped titles
  • Ability to rapidly master proprietary tools and development pipelines
  • Ability to be resourceful and come up with creative solutions
  • Must be receptive to art direction and critiques from project art leads and team
  • Strong foundation in traditional art
  • Strong organizational and communication skills
  • Passion for gaming

Pluses:

• Experience with a level editor i.e. Unreal, Crytek, etc.
  • Good concept development Skills
  • Particle effects and physics asset set up
  • Background in mechanical engineering or industrial design

Responsibilities:

• Model and Texture complex and realistic 3D assets
  • Rig and export assets into editor and test them prior to submission
  • Work closely with Art Director and Lead Artists to ensure the visual target is met or exceeded
  • Actively participate in technical and aesthetic problem solving discussions
  • Complete work under reasonable deadlines

Portfolio Requirements:

• A web portfolio that demonstrates a range of high quality 3D and 2D art
  • Examples of complex moveable mechanisms for use in-game as well as High Detail source assets.
  • Samples from previous industry work

Portfolio Plusses

• Concept images
  • Examples of machinery modeling and texturing for realism

• All resumes must be accompanied with Website portfolio
  • Simply apply via e-mail: jobs@obsidian.net
  • Please put the job you are applying to in the subject line please
  • Please no phone calls or drop-ins. We only accept emailed applications

Environment Artist

Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a talented, self-motivated Environment Artist to collaborate with a growing team of developers. The Environment Artist will be responsible for creating aesthetically pleasing environments. Using their expert knowledge of shape and form, proportions, color and design principles, this artist will model objects, create textures, apply materials, and assemble environments.

Requirements:

• High proficiency with 3ds Max, Z-Brush and Photoshop, with emphasis on highly realistic in-game results.
  • 4-year degree form an accredited college or university or equivalent industry experience preferred
  • Excellent High and Low poly modeling skills, with demonstrated skill in texture projection/render-to-texture techniques.
  • Strong knowledge of architecture, terrain build up and erosion, materials and lighting
  • Solid grasp of color theory
  • 3+ years in the game industry with 1 shipped title
  • Ability to rapidly master proprietary tools and development pipelines
  • Ability to be resourceful and come up with creative solutions
  • Must be receptive to art direction and critiques from project art leads and team
  • Strong foundation in traditional art
  • Strong organizational and communication skills
  • Passion for gaming

Pluses:

• Experience with a level editor i.e. Unreal, Crytek, etc.
  • Strong concept development Skills
  • Particle effects and physics asset set up
  • Background in Architecture, Photography or Cinematography

Responsibilities:

• Create a wide range of high quality environment art assets: props, interiors and exteriors
  • Model, UV Map, texture and create the materials for environment assets
  • Integrate art assets into the level editor and light exterior and interior scenes
  • Work closely with Art Director and Level Designers to ensure the visual target is met or exceeded
  • Actively participate in technical and aesthetic problem solving discussions
  • Complete work under reasonable deadlines

Portfolio Requirements:

• A web portfolio that demonstrates a range of high quality 3D rendered samples and 2D texture art
  • Examples of lit interiors/exteriors.
  • A range of hard surface and organic models
  • Samples from previous industry work

Portfolio Plusses

• Architectural Rendering Samples
  • Environment Art Concept Samples
  • Real-time Shader Examples

• All resumes must be accompanied with Website portfolio
  • Simply apply via e-mail: jobs@obsidian.net
  • Please put the job you are applying to in the subject line please
  • Please no phone calls or drop ins. We only accept emailed applications

Edited by C2B

• 1 month later...
Feargus Urquhart's LI profile updated.

CEO
Obsidian Entertainment
June 2003 – Present (9 years 8 months)

Obsidian shipped our first game, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords, on the Xbox in November of 2004 and on the PC in February in 2005, Neverwinter Nights 2 in October of 2006 and its expansion packs, Mask of the Betrayer and Storm of Zehir, in 2007 and 2008. Focusing more on console games, we then shipped Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas and Dungeon Siege 3 in 2010 and 2011. Currently we are working on South Park: The Stick of Truth, our record crowd funded game Project Eternity, and a new unannounced title.

Aye, I would imagine the project is still in pre-production with the majority of staff still being on South Park.

Maybe. First we heard of it was in march when Rich Taylor (after New Carolina)  changed its Linkedin.

So, could *possibly* be already in early stages of development.

• 4 weeks later...

OT: OEI recently hired a new concept artist Mac Smith.

Concept Artist
Obsidian Entertainment
February 2013 – Present (1 month) - Irvine, California

concept artist
Vigil Games
November 2010 – February 2013 (2 years 4 months)
drawin' thangs

Concept Artist and Illustrator
Mac Smith Studio
January 2009 – November 2010 (1 year 11 months)
Freelance concept artist working with clients to produce vehicle, prop, character, and environment concepts and illustrations for games, books and film. Clients include Warner Bros., Timegate Studios, Midway Games, Sickhead Games, Paizo Publishing and more.

Concept Artist (contract)
WB Games
May 2009 – January 2010 (9 months)
Created concepts for Mortal Kombat and another unnaounced project.

Concept Artist
TimeGate Studios
June 2007 – March 2008 (10 months)
Concept artist for Timegate Studios Section 8 team. Develops overall look and feel of game (Section 8) as well as detailed renderings of vehicles, weapons, environments, and more.

And new job posting

UI/User Experience Artist            

Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a talented and experienced UI artist to design the user experience for a next generation game.

This artist will be responsible for creating a ground breakinguser-experience, including laying out designs, creating concepts, andmockups, creating in-game assets, assembling them, animating them andexporting them, using Adobe Flash CS5 and Scaleform.

Edited by C2B

Unless it was for PC only game.

I'm not seeing many publishers willing to sign PC only for a South Park-sized project, tbh, though the PC market is a lot healthier and getting a lot of attention, and I can see Obsidian getting the chance to do more stuff that previously might not have been as financially viable.