Battle Chess: Game of Kings on Kickstarter, Fund It

So, Interplay was in a lawsuit with TopWare for Battle vs. Chess, Interplay won and came into contact with their old president (AKA. Not Brian Fargo) and asked his new team, Subdued Software, to make Battle Chess 2011.

2011 was not being funded by Interplay but rather the passionate guys at Subdued who wanted to make it for PC, Mac, iOS and Xbox 360. Guess what, they succeeded, ONLY FOR PC, though. And that too without multiplayer. So the 100,000 funding is for leaderboards, multiplayer and all of that kind of stuff that you have on Battlefield 3. There will be DLC in addition if multiplayer hits and this means classic characters, more stadiums and all kinds of stuff like that.

Rewards include the game (I don't know), a t-shirt, invitiation to the launch party at some Buena place, name in the credits. Also, they are looking more for into the 1000 dollar funding, if you fund 1000 right now you get your name in the credits and you get to go the launch party, only one person has joined, but they are aiming to make it so that if you pay 1000 dollars you get a free chess set with the battle chess characters, though they are lookin to as to how to do that.

To see gameplay videos of it: http://www.youtube.com/user/SubduedSoftware

Game Features

• Fully articulated 3D models
  • Revamped chess engine designed to challenge players of all levels
  • Online multiplayer with ranking system
  • Choose from three unique battlegrounds
  • Over 75 unique battle sequences viewable in cinematic 3D or in classic mode
  • Original musical score and professional voice talent
  • Video chess tutorials
  • 7 new game modes, including a challenge mode - can you solve these perplexing problems?
  • Achievements

Although $100k seems like a large amount, implementing a full featured online experience, like the one we have planned, will take several months. A list of features include; Skilled Based Matchmaking, Statistics, Leaderboards, Achievements and in-game chat. We also needed to factor in the cost of fulfilling rewards and running this campaign. We have carefully planned out the costs of staffing the programmers, artists and testers necessary to complete online multiplayer feature and arrived at this amount.
"

- Subdued Software

It has been on Kickstarter for about 8 days now and has only achieved 9 % of its funding. I suggest that you guys help fund it and help get it released.
Edited by Cutlock

Chess without multiplayer... I'm still wondering when the "Chess - the RTS" game will be made. People just don't want to sit and wait for their oponent to take his turn :grin:

Battlechess for Amiga was one of my old favourites. I could have sworn it said EA on the box though.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

http://www.youtube.com/user/SubduedSoftware

They have a YouTube now where they are going to be posting more gameplay videos.

And Gorth, it may have said EA on the box as Battle Chess may have been one of the three games that Interplay made for EA that they had dual ownership over, such as the Bard's Tale, though I believe that while Interplay gave up the rights to that around 2004, when the InXile one was made, EA quickly gave up the rights to the ones for Battle Chess, likely. It is owned by Interplay.

They are simply too long - the original game had short, brutal and humorous animations. With that particular one I was already annoyed after 20 seconds, horrible sounds, boring animations and boring direction.

Fortune favors the bald.

Watched a few of them on their home page. Agree with Rosbjerg. Too long, and the "music" just killed it before boredom did.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well, I'll say, those, some of them at least, I believe are in some Vault program where you can veiw battle scenes, I'm sure that if you guys post your requests on their Kickstarter comments page and or on YouTube they will take it in to recomendation.

Also, if you guys give just a dollar or two it will be helpful as well.

Other programs are, video tutorials to help you learn chess, the aforementioned vault thing, and achievements. If the funding is reached, online multiplayer will allow for additional achievements and sharing content.

For those who are fans of the original Battle Chess and wish to see something more similar to that, with more close characters, more similar stadiums, or those who liked Battle Chess 4000, in DLC's they will be adding content that will likely make the stuff you want shorter (your criticisms) and content that will make the game better.

Edited by Cutlock

Sorry Cutlock, but I think I would rather buy the original from GoG. Actually, I would prefer to buy the Amiga version to run on an emulator, but unfortunately that isn't really an option these days.

Not even a dollar? Really that is all I actually came here expecting, that you guys give dollars, but the way I look at it, the original is the original, you can't beat the original. MW3 sucks compared to MW. But as there is an exeption to every rule, Half Life 2 is that exeption, maybe this game will be an exeption too, maybe not.

Not even a dollar? Really that is all I actually came here expecting, that you guys give dollars, but the way I look at it, the original is the original, you can't beat the original. MW3 sucks compared to MW. But as there is an exeption to every rule, Half Life 2 is that exeption, maybe this game will be an exeption too, maybe not.

I know a number of games where the second game outshines the original, but that isn't necessarily the case here. When holding up two products and compare them against each other, which one are you going to have the most fun with? Even the original only had limited appeal once the novelty of fighting chess pieces wore off and you changed to standard chess board just for a game of chess. Archon on the other hand, I bought the remake of (original made by Freefall Games), because it never gets "old" whacking your oponents pawns over he head with a big club/sword/fist/lightning bolt/fireball (or just suck out their life force) in the action parts. Currently there is only one kickstarter project I seriously consider backing and that's because I can't run the original on my PC (despite having the original cd's) :)

Nevertheless Gorth, I respect your opinion.

Here is some new info:

The characters are hi-poly, hi-res textures complete with normal mapping and specular lighting.

There are 77 different possible battle scenarios, each character having at least three variations. Each of these battles has 3 animated camera variations. All these combinations cut down on the repeats.

The three environments are completely different (Throne Room, Dungeon and Garden) and support advanced lighting and texture modes.

We have 7 modes of gameplay, in single player (all can be done with traditional chess pieces or animated characters):

• Versus AI
  • Training Mode
  • Challenge Mode
  • Combat Vault

Versus AI mode is your stand player versus the computer. We have completely replaced the original Chess AI and have six distinct levels of difficulty. The highest level plays at an estimated 2300 ELO.

Training mode allows the player to place pieces on the board in any configuration they like and then play against any level of AI.

Challenge mode, in which we have pre-constructed nine different scenarios of varying degree of difficulty and then challenge the player to solve the scenario within a specific numbers of moves. For example,

They do realize there are numerous (even free) Internet services where you can play chess online and do all what's listed and more, right?

List them.

Google 'play chess online'.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Supporting this game means supporting Herve Caen and he can burn in hell. That **** won't get a penny.

Also, begging for money is not cool.

Undoubtedly you have never seen a begger. As for Herve Caen, that is agreeable.

They do realize there are numerous (even free) Internet services where you can play chess online and do all what's listed and more, right?

List them.

Google 'play chess online'.

You have not listed an applicable chess source that does all of these things and more:

The characters are hi-poly, hi-res textures complete with normal mapping and specular lighting.

There are 77 different possible battle scenarios, each character having at least three variations. Each of these battles has 3 animated camera variations. All these combinations cut down on the repeats.

The three environments are completely different (Throne Room, Dungeon and Garden) and support advanced lighting and texture modes.

We have 7 modes of gameplay, in single player (all can be done with traditional chess pieces or animated characters):

• Versus AI
  • Training Mode
  • Challenge Mode
  • Combat Vault

Versus AI mode is your stand player versus the computer. We have completely replaced the original Chess AI and have six distinct levels of difficulty. The highest level plays at an estimated 2300 ELO.

Training mode allows the player to place pieces on the board in any configuration they like and then play against any level of AI.

Challenge mode, in which we have pre-constructed nine different scenarios of varying degree of difficulty and then challenge the player to solve the scenario within a specific numbers of moves. For example,

I think it might fare better as a smart phone game. Provided they could find the fun factor. Those few clips didn't have it.

It is, the game is going to be released on iPhone and iPad. The funding money could also send it to Android.