What you did today

Tale

Yeah, Spurs being cheated of a spot (I think that rule is BS, but that's the product of FA/Tragedy FC whining I suppose) is a bit of an upside. Seein John Terry and the rest of the scumbags with the trophy more than offsets that :p

Really though, has any coach ever suggested to Robben that he pass or not be a glory hound ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Today I've been getting the house ready for a beer tasting party we are having. Basically you bring a large bottle of something you think is interesting, and then we all taste them and rate them on a 100 point scale. I'm serving sausages and pretzels with the event. It's also been a great excuse to clean up the house.

It is also my 9-year anniversary with my wife, so it's a fun way to celebrate.

Congratulations, Hurlshot.

I bought myself a pair of running shoes. I plan on using them later today. I had lost almost 10kg this year, but I have now only lost 8kg compared to the beginning of the year. I became lazy, but that's about to change with the nice weather and the fact that the shoes were more expensive than I anticipated. This will be the first time I exercise in proper shoes. It should help, I think.

Not doing much else. Took a break from Diablo III after playing it for 10 hours straight on Friday. Tried to play Risen 2, but after the driver upgrades, it is now unplayable, and I don't know what to do. It went from silky smooth to less than 20 fps. I blame Diablo III. It was the reason I upgraded the drivers in the first place.

First day back at work, felt pretty good overall, had a co-worker/friend say that they actually missed me while I was gone.

Made me realize she's probably the first person to actually say that to me that wasn't my parents.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Aunt and Uncle are turning up from Australia for the next month (on and off). So despite much urgings to deal with it before hand, it's still turning into the flurry of activity over the several days before they actually land.

Shifting stuff around, clearing it into the attic, trying to persuade people that yes, they can get rid of it because they haven't actually used it for years and having it in storage in the craft room "just in case" is kind of pointless..

Since I've had my computer set up near my mothers bed/main area (since I'm her primary carer and she's disabled) I'm trying to figure out where I can get a comfortable space to shift it all to. Nothing personal, but her sister and brother in law are nice and fine in small doses. And we hear from both of them how much they "love and miss each other" due to being on different continents.. but give them a couple of days together and they will wind each other up something chronic.

It might be selfish, but I so don't want to be stuck in the same damn room as them for large chunks of time over the next month....

And of course, in the middle of this rush and getting furniture and assorted stuff shifted and cleaned.. mom decides now is the time to insist that pieces of DIY are done around the house even if its taking time out from making sure there's actually space for those familial visitors to sleep... Hanging new rail curtains, and other moments of purely >_<

That and the general sniping and joyous feeling occuring between mom and dad over it all.. I foresee great, fun times over the next few weeks...

I'm trying to not get involved in that side, and just get the jobs all done and completed.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

And dang, nearly got stranded up in the Attic for a bit.

Shifting stuff and the ladder broke under my feet, resulting in a rather frantic jump and grab to prevent tumbling down...

Lots and lots of cleaning.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Out in the yard cleaning up cat and racoon poo, weeding, hedge trimming, and other such fun stuff. I think my arms got a little sunburnt. I have a bit of natural tan since I'm Asian, but I am not a sun creature anymore....used to be able to sit in the sun for hours and not even notice, but I burn easily now. Side effects of becoming a PC and game nerd....

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

And dang, nearly got stranded up in the Attic for a bit.

Shifting stuff and the ladder broke under my feet, resulting in a rather frantic jump and grab to prevent tumbling down...

Your years of doing that in video games have clearly paid off.

• Like 1

Ah, and now, both in the name of providing some space for those relatives arriving tomorrow..and in keeping my sanity over the upcoming month.. my whole computer set-up is now crammed into a room that's about 4' by 6'..

Update as to what's new and exciting lately.

Daughter was out recently. We spent a great deal of 'My' money and got some very neat trinkets and had a great time. Had a really nice bit of private time in the mountains and 'broke' the pendant that I had made for us. Apparently I wrote the service wording right since she was very moved by it. All in all, we were both very happy with it.

Still working close to full time at my job and freaking loving it.

Had a new PET scan tuesday however. Present chemotherapy is not working any longer. For as long as I can remember, I have always had an extremely strong and adaptive recuperation immune system. Apparently my original cancer cells also hold that adaptive system. I've now been through two seperate chemo treatments and the damned cancer has rapidly adapted to both. My oncologist has taken away my 2-3 years and replaced that statement with "I'm very, very worried". That's very freaking nice. Maybe killing the messanger wasn't such a bad idea. Anyway...we are now experimenting 'outside the box'. He now wants to start me out on an old chemo treatment by running a small cathater up my femoral artery to the blood artery that supplies blood to my liver. The latest scan shows the the existing 11+ tumors there had grown to 9 X8 cm each. By my math that means a little more than 3 inches diameter each. That seems like approx 330 cu/inch total area in addition to whatever my normal liver volume should be. Calling my liver 'swollen' seems a bit of an under statement. Pain has increased and I'm pretty sure that my Doc will not take my suggestions. He would rather keep his license to pratice medicine I presume.

My favorite person in the Universe is here with me now again for a week so life is good again. We're spending money again like it was simple paper and having a good time. Maybe I've been able to talking her into moving in with me for whatever remaining time I have. May I freaking live forever :wink:.

Speaking of 'Freaking'...Roger Waters throws a 'Freaking' fantastic concert if 'The Wall' by Pink Floyd is your kind of show. I grant you that I'm old but I thought I might have to wet myself during the show. Might have been the show but it might have been old age and a small bladder. I'll leave the decision up to you. You might want to add possible senility to the mix as well :wink:. Even with the scalpers fees it was a good show.

Anyway...that's it for now. Later.

• Like 1

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

My oncologist has taken away my 2-3 years and replaced that statement with "I'm very, very worried". That's very freaking nice. Maybe killing the messanger wasn't such a bad idea. Anyway...

Damn doomsday preachers!... tossing out the old liver and getting a new one isn't an option I suppose? :(

Sort of a sharp reminder to enjoy every day to the fullest and not take tomorrow for granted. Even if/when they give you your years back, it never hurts to spend more time being happy than being grumpy.

Mate, still hoping for the best :luck:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The sweltering heat is still here.. family members are beginning to snipe at each other or having some of the general shine rub off...

I got to enjoy most of sunday with a heavy headache and a spontaneous nosebleed...

And today, whilst I did manage a chunk of time digging through some of my old system engineering/software engineering books to re-inforce a few things.. I just seem to be in an odd mood I can't really place.

The plan was to paint the basement over the long weekend. The previous owners had left it a hideous shade of lime green, and would've done the painting long ago except that I've spent a couple years debating whether we should paint now, or wait to rip out the cheap paneling and replace it with drywall. I bought the paint (a greyish blue) a month or two ago, but it's been a "maybe next weekend" thing awhile now. And then we were lazy on Saturday, and really didn't get started until Sunday morning. We finished at 11:15 PM on Monday night.

Pro Tip: "Painting shoes" should not be whatever very old shoes you find lying around your house. The should be chosen for comfort, not just for willingness to get them stylishly spattered. You're likely to be standing in them for a long while, sometimes of footstools/ladders, and leaning in odd directions. Wow do my feet hurt.

Anyhow, the yellow-green monster has been vanquished. I swear, the previous owners must have let their 5-year-old pick that paint color.

Edited by Enoch

Bundled up with new office politics, for long days. I would never have believed the tangled mess were it not for the fact that segmenting authority and responsibility leaves individual managers plenty of time to try and prove their chops by messing in other people's business.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Preview of summer here, pleasant mix of high humidity, smog, a lingering smell of the city and scowling sweaty people in shades. But am alone in the office for the moment, so utilizing my PC speakers to play Gregorian chants while I debug. :D

Hubby's sister+husband came down for the weekend to clear out their house here. They can't afford to keep house here (even rented out) and the one in OR anymore so out the old one goes. We spent a couple afternoons having lunch with them. They wanted to sit in our yard under the sun.....sadly it hasn't been all that sunny/warm this past week, but apparently still more so than in OR. heh.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts