RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

couldn't find the Dead State thread. Brian answered a ton f questions about the game at the IT forums: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2628.0.html

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

max payne will almost certainly be a holiday steam sale item for me, it comes out too close to diablo 3 for me to pay full price for it

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

There are (more than usually incredible) rumblings in the Company of Heroes community that Relic / THQ will announce CoH2 in the next month or two.

Well they need the help

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

So I guess this as good a place as any to post this (though an official Obsidz blog post could come up soonish) - I was writing a Van Buren PbP game and sent Chris Avellone a bunch of questions, and he answered them for me! So here they are.

(a) Regarding the structure of the game - This question is primarily a product of there not really being a public "pitch document", but also the fact that a number of early locations in the game - Fort Abandon, Tibbets Prison, Circle Junction - have scant design documentation or exist entirely through references in other design documentation. The overall arc of the game is well established, though: (1) get out of prison, then round up all the prisoners (2) get space shuttle up to code (3) stop Presper and the BOMB. My question is: how are the players presented with these goals? How are they set on their path?

For example, once the PCs are busted out of Tibbets, how are they brought to the knowledge that they need to retrieve the other prisoners? Does ODYSSEUS tell them? Does Presper? Is it meant to be implied by regular robot attacks? I would assume that in Act 2, the Boulder ZAX would set the PCs on course to Bloomfield, but I haven't gotten that far in my game so I'm not worrying too much about it.

(b) Speaking of Presper, at what point is the party meant to be made aware of him and his plans? In past games I've had him as an ostensible ally / support to the PCs early on (having been busted out with them) but even players who've never read the design docs are generally smart enough to recognize that twist coming. Is the party meant to know he's responsible for their predicament but assume that getting all the prisoners back in Tibbets will thwart him rather than achieve his goals?

Edited by Pop

Leisure Suit Larry reached its Kickstarter funding goal with 7 days to go.

*fistpump*

Still can't persuade myself to go beyond the $ 40 level with it, though I do hunger for a game box... Too bad I decided to single-handedly prop up the UK economy this month. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

maybe a crappy MMO does make a lot of money?

they must cost almost nothing to make (seeing as how they are terrible) so if even a small group of people buy into it, there is a decent enough chance it could recoup costs + extra

the profit margin is probably unusually high for a terrible MMO.

ps: im speculating entirely here, i have no idea what the costs and revenue are for any type of MMO

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

they must cost almost nothing to make (seeing as how they are terrible) so if even a small group of people buy into it, there is a decent enough chance it could recoup costs + extra

ps: im speculating entirely here, i have no idea what the costs and revenue are for any type of MMO

10 mil for a truly pathetic mmo.

I think AoC cost them around 80 mil. And it ended up being free to play, cause it was **** and nobody wanted to play it.

****ty mmos don't have a positive ROI. But what do publishers know? "Oooh they're offering us a new world of warcraft basically. ****ing A, let's finance it!"

Stalker 2 is dead, on account of IP loss.

Don't really know how much of a loss it would be, almost all the pre release stuff on Stalker 2 sounded badly retrograde anyway. Given the persistent talk about needing a constant internet connection to play it may well have been envisioned as a MMOFPS effectively from the start.

I'll lol if the rumours of the Stalker IP being sold to Bethesda are true.

10 mil for a truly pathetic mmo.

I think AoC cost them around 80 mil. And it ended up being free to play, cause it was **** and nobody wanted to play it.

****ty mmos don't have a positive ROI. But what do publishers know? "Oooh they're offering us a new world of warcraft basically. ****ing A, let's finance it!"

I think Age of Conan still turned a profit, actually. It's still chugging along with a pretty loyal fanbase at least.

Looks interesting.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra