Mass Effect 3

Gorth

Wasn't Karpyshyn the lead writer for the first game, but then moved onto the TOR team either before or in the middle of ME2's development? That could explain the disconnect between the games. The new writers maybe decided to put their own stamp on things, but the result was a disconnected jumble.

Same thing happened when the old lead of the Dragon Age game left. You ended up with Dragon Age 2.

The respective failures are of diametrically opposite nature though - was it the lead gameplay designer as opposed to the lead writer in the DA case? Not something I've followed, and at any rate, I despise the storytelling in DAO more than that of any other of its Bioware stablemates.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

was it the lead gameplay designer as opposed to the lead writer in the DA case?

I think it was the head(or at the very least a lead designer) of the DA team, Gaider is the head writer of the franchise. The head/lead left after a difference of opinion on how to continue the series.

At least that's what the trust worthy internet says....

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Now, if somebody could only tell me what was so good about DAO, apart from the fact that if you squinted really hard, it looked like one of the games that originally launched Bioware.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Now, if somebody could only tell me what was so good about DAO, apart from the fact that if you squinted really hard, it looked like one of the games that originally launched Bioware.

Yeah that's pretty much it.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The setting sucked, but the game mechanics, skill system and their attempts at building a "honey comb" structure leaving you free to roam around between major locations as you desired was nice to the degree that it felt promising for the future. I.e. lots of potential mixed with a bit of nostalgia because it brought back memories of a time when they were more ambitious when it came to scope and level of detail.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Also, the structure of time was an interesting showing. The potential developments and fallout over x years in a specific locale based on choices you made.. If it had just been pushed along a bit more .. but again, it was "idea conception rather then what actually got built".

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

How many people actually played LotS though? There's nothing I can recall in either game they could be relatively sure everyone would have played.

Everybody who cares enough about the games to analyse their respective plots and how they connect, I'd hope.

There's something you can probably blame DA:O for. Played the Ultimate Edition and decided there wasn't a single bit of extended content I'd pay $10 for outside a bundle. Spare some blame for EA too, as I probably would buy (some of) the dlc if it was ever cheap, or bundled. But then while I did download BDtS I never even downloaded Zaeed, who was free, so who knows. Simply put, I'm just enough of a fan to talk about it on the internet but not enough to spend extra money if it isn't both cheap and convenient.

Doesn't make it any less stupid if EA were putting crucial story information into dlc because the inevitable consequence of that is that the majority of people who do not play it will go huh? if it becomes important. Mind you, given that one of the big confusions about the ending of ME3 was caused by the last dlc implying that relays would take out entire star systems when exploding...

You're just assuming that the flawed logic of the Reaper AI is supposed to be ignored. I listened to it, decided it was crazy, and proceeded to destroy all synthetics (even with the hope that the non-Reaper synthetics could be recovered one day by an unified galaxy). :p

It still would have been vastly superior to leave the Reapers shrouded in mystery. Whether you accept it the logic of the Starchild or not, his very existence takes the Reapers down a few pegs on the "impressive villain" scale.

Sacrificing our solar system to stop them would have been a much more fitting ending for the scope of the conflict, I think.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Would have made saving the human colonies in Mass Effect 2 a far more important achievement too, the future of mankind is amongst the stars and whatnot.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Would have made saving the human colonies in Mass Effect 2 a far more important achievement too, the future of mankind is amongst the stars and whatnot.

Hadn't even thought of that, but yeah, that too.

I mean, the whole series kept harping on how humanity is judged by the sacrifices they're willing to make for the galactic good - what bigger sacrifice is there than blowing up your home system to save everyone else?

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

What might have been interesting about such an ending is the potential ramifications, those reapers who are not in the Sol system are forced to withdraw from council space by the suicidal actions of the vermin, and re-assess their strategy. Cue areas of the milky way becoming forbidden space, mass relays closed down and a galactic cold war springing to life. Indoctrinated agents sowing seeds of chaos within council space, an intensive militarisation of the organic species and a search for alternate sources of technology.

Organics are desperately seeking a means of survival while the machine gods, viewing time through the lense of immortality are content to plot and intrigue over centuries.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

What might have been interesting about such an ending is the potential ramifications, those reapers who are not in the Sol system are forced to withdraw from council space by the suicidal actions of the vermin, and re-assess their strategy. Cue areas of the milky way becoming forbidden space, mass relays closed down and a galactic cold war springing to life. Indoctrinated agents sowing seeds of chaos within council space, an intensive militarisation of the organic species and a search for alternate sources of technology.

Organics are desperately seeking a means of survival while the machine gods, viewing time through the lense of immortality are content to plot and intrigue over centuries.

Yeah, would be an interesting setup for further material in the universe, for sure. A lot better than "all synthetic life has been destroyed and the relays are gone."

Of course, I doubt they'd have ever done any ending involving the loss of Earth, what with all the "take back Earth!" marketing noise and whatnot. It's ironic - BioWare really like to talk about how they're mature enough as writers to not write a happy, "the enemy is defeated and everything is fine" resolution to the story with Shepard riding off into the sunset, yet they still bend over backwards and defy plausibility to keep Earth at least somewhat intact at the end of the game, as if they think that losing Earth would be too much of a downer ending for their target audience.

Edited by Oblarg

You know what would have been awesome? If your EMS score actually made a noticeable difference. You know, so the decisions you made along the way actually impacted how the final battle went down? Like, I don't know, a Rachni Queen showing up when you're pinned down and about to be killed? Or maybe the Destiny Ascension turning the tide in a space battle because you chose to save them?

Instead, your EMS score essentially ended up being nothing more than a number in the background that determines whether you "breath" or not.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Seriously this discussion has me craving for a good written game, what the hell is Chris Avellone working on right now?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

You know what would have been awesome? If your EMS score actually made a noticeable difference. You know, so the decisions you made along the way actually impacted how the final battle went down? Like, I don't know, a Rachni Queen showing up when you're pinned down and about to be killed? Or maybe the Destiny Ascension turning the tide in a space battle because you chose to save them?

Instead, your EMS score essentially ended up being nothing more than a number in the background that determines whether you "breath" or not.

Only if it's possible to get a "perfect" EMS score from the SP game (even if you have to do every dang quest and exploration in the game perfectly, find every last item...etc.) instead of forcing you to play MP.

If it is SP possible...I completely agree.

The issue is that they had so many variables that most of your time would be spent making dozens upon dozens of cutscenes. But it'd probably be best just to have assets show up on the ground.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Only if it's possible to get a "perfect" EMS score from the SP game (even if you have to do every dang quest and exploration in the game perfectly, find every last item...etc.) instead of forcing you to play MP.

If it is SP possible...I completely agree.

After downloading the EC, I tried the Destroy ending. I hadn't touched ME3 since about two weeks after it was released, so any MP games I played were pretty much wiped out since you start to lose Galactic Readiness percentages each day you don't play MP. I still managed to get the "breath" cinematic.

The issue is that they had so many variables that most of your time would be spent making dozens upon dozens of cutscenes. But it'd probably be best just to have assets show up on the ground.

I didn't expect every single choice to end up having a noticeable effect, but the big ones? Saving or killing the Rachni Queen was built up as a massive choice ... couldn't they have made a cutscene about that, depending on if you saved her? Same with the decision to save the Destiny Ascension, that was another massive choice.

The big decisions should have had a noticeable impact on the final battle, whether it be ground assets at your disposal, or different cutscenes showing the advantage (or disadvantage) making those decisions had for you.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

If you make arbitraty decision such as "never buying dlc", you have no reason to expect the full experience. Maybe it's sad, but it's the way things are these days. I'll take DLC that matters over fully meaningless any day. OTOH, I happily buy CEs and other stuff on the very few games that really intest me, so maybe I really am in a completely different boat.

The setting sucked, but the game mechanics, skill system and their attempts at building a "honey comb" structure leaving you free to roam around between major locations as you desired was nice to the degree that it felt promising for the future. I.e. lots of potential mixed with a bit of nostalgia because it brought back memories of a time when they were more ambitious when it came to scope and level of detail.

I thought the mechanics and system were atrocious, as was their habit of cut-scening you into ambushes. I agree that what you refer to as "honey comb" was good, and something I'd forgotten about. Probably because every cell in the comb is an endless gauntlet of boring combat encounters.

Also, the structure of time was an interesting showing. The potential developments and fallout over x years in a specific locale based on choices you made.. If it had just been pushed along a bit more .. but again, it was "idea conception rather then what actually got built".

I think you're talking about DA2, here. Personally still prefer it over DAO, it "gels" better, even if they are both flawed.

You're just assuming that the flawed logic of the Reaper AI is supposed to be ignored. I listened to it, decided it was crazy, and proceeded to destroy all synthetics (even with the hope that the non-Reaper synthetics could be recovered one day by an unified galaxy). :p

It still would have been vastly superior to leave the Reapers shrouded in mystery. Whether you accept it the logic of the Starchild or not, his very existence takes the Reapers down a few pegs on the "impressive villain" scale.

Sacrificing our solar system to stop them would have been a much more fitting ending for the scope of the conflict, I think.

Probably. I think the Dark Energy aspect would already have been better. But as it is, both me2 and me3 have ludicrously bad endings (well, at least ME2 in the original release, Arrival did a much better job of driving the cliffhanger home. Too bad they won't do the same for me3).

I think you're talking about DA2, here. In which case I agree. And I still think that it gelled better than the first one, which REALLY showed the long stretch of development hell (a bunch of tossed-together elements).

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Beings of light from the next galaxy over! And it turns out the Reapers were trying to protect this galaxy from them, yep, that's what was going on. Now to fight the true evil!

Pre-order now for a Reaper squadmate.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Yeah, and the crucible ripped a hole in space time letting them invade.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Beings of light from the next galaxy over! And it turns out the Reapers were trying to protect this galaxy from them, yep, that's what was going on. Now to fight the true evil!

Pre-order now for a Reaper squadmate.

Is that where the Reapers kill all the organics to prevent the beings of light from killing all the organics?

Turn it into a strategy game? Mass Alert 4: Command and Reaperise?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."