Mass Effect 3

Gorth

i wish they would have changed the beginning of the game so you could keep playing with the same team you had in ME2. i care a lot more about that than i do about the ending

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Eh, watched the endings on Youtube. They made a lot of things a lot less confusing, but they didn't really add enough to cause me to want to play through the game again.

And BioWare certainly was intent on not giving fans who wanted it a happy ending, weren't they? The closest they came was the Destroy ending, with the "breath" scene. But there's still no reunion with the crew.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

i wish they would have changed the beginning of the game so you could keep playing with the same team you had in ME2. i care a lot more about that than i do about the ending

I would've liked them to add at least a couple of ME2 characters into the mix, but I can accept it as the price of the greatly improved NPC participation and reactivity (due to the amount of extra lines needed). Anything is better with more Yvonne Strahovski, though.

Edit2: Found something called "Rebellion" too under the list of add-ons. No idea what it is, but it was free, so I grabbed it together with the extended thingy.

Multiplayer expansion.

Eh, watched the endings on Youtube. They made a lot of things a lot less confusing, but they didn't really add enough to cause me to want to play through the game again.

And BioWare certainly was intent on not giving fans who wanted it a happy ending, weren't they? The closest they came was the Destroy ending, with the "breath" scene. But there's still no reunion with the crew.

Actually, the reunion is implied. The scene where they are fixing Shepard's nameplate to the memorial wall is different. In the "breath" ending, they put the plate down, instead of fixing it to the wall, implying that they are going back to look for him/her. Yeah, I didn't quite catch it, either. Hence the edit in my previous post.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Actually, the reunion is implied. The scene where they are fixing Shepard's nameplate to the memorial wall is different. In the "breath" ending, they put the plate down, instead of fixing it to the wall, implying that they are going back to look for him/her. Yeah, I didn't quite catch it, either. Hence the edit in my previous post.

I saw that, but it still leaves things vague. It could easily just be the person affixing the nameplate doesn't believe Shepard's actually dead. Doesn't necessarily mean they find Shepard, or that Shepard actually survives (come on, he's burnt to a crisp).

At the very least, would it have been that difficult to make a scene where the Normandy (or its shuttle) lands back on Earth, then whoever the love interest is and someone else pop out, do a bit of a search under various mounds of debris, then you hear "Shepard! He's over here" and footsteps running toward you?

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Edit2: Found something called "Rebellion" too under the list of add-ons. No idea what it is, but it was free, so I grabbed it together with the extended thingy.

Multiplayer expansion.

I could have saved a bit of bandwidth then, never even tried pressing the multiplayer button... =]

I wonder if I even have any saves close to the end. Will have to check when off from work.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Since on both prior import occasions, the default Sheptard actions assumed for all the major plot decisions have been the jerk ones, one can reasonably then assume that the "fourth option" here is the canonical one. :p

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I saw that, but it still leaves things vague. It could easily just be the person affixing the nameplate doesn't believe Shepard's actually dead. Doesn't necessarily mean they find Shepard, or that Shepard actually survives (come on, he's burnt to a crisp).

At the very least, would it have been that difficult to make a scene where the Normandy (or its shuttle) lands back on Earth, then whoever the love interest is and someone else pop out, do a bit of a search under various mounds of debris, then you hear "Shepard! He's over here" and footsteps running toward you?

I'd say it's less vague than not explicitly spelled out, but the version you (and many others, even before the EC) suggested would obviously have been better.

I hear they were planning a way for "Destroy" to leave everybody alive in some special circumstances, but removed it since they didn't want a "happy" ending. Of course, even that came with the caveat that the Illusive Man was successful in bringing back an organic from the dead, so why not...

The new ending is idiotic.

I guess they forgot that the Reapers always leave one behind to ensure their return goes smoothly. I guess they also forgot that a big part of ME1 was Saren trying to prevent Shepard from learning about the message in the Prothean beacon. Considering how plenty of other (much more advanced) races in previous cycles have been trying to leave behind messages and they've all failed, how could the Reapers let this one slip through? Heck, the Protheans fought the Reapers for centuries, they must have left way more beacons than Liara and yet only a few of them survived.

I still don't get it. Why the **** does destroying the reapers also destroy every other form of synthetic life in the galaxy? What sense does that make? Why would you make the only sensible choice given to the player have such a completely unnecessary and very unappealing effect? A proper "bittersweet ending" does not involve simply tacking on a down-side to a sensible ending.

Besides, when Hacket talks about "those who will not see [our future]," it's rather funny that the game shows only the two synthetics who worked with Shepard and not the entire ****ing race of geth who were senselessly slaughtered because the writers are ****ty.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

God Empress Shepard is a bit cool, I must admit.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I still don't get it. Why the **** does destroying the reapers also destroy every other form of synthetic life in the galaxy? What sense does that make? Why would you make the only sensible choice given to the player have such a completely unnecessary and very unappealing effect? A proper "bittersweet ending" does not involve simply tacking on a down-side to a sensible ending.

Besides, when Hacket talks about "those who will not see [our future]," it's rather funny that the game shows only the two synthetics who worked with Shepard and not the entire ****ing race of geth who were senselessly slaughtered because the writers are ****ty.

It's supposed to destroy all forms of Reaper technology which is why everything synthetic gets wiped. Of course, Shepard being Reaper tech. too and it being the only ending he could survive is kinda odd.

It's supposed to destroy all forms of Reaper technology which is why everything synthetic gets wiped. Of course, Shepard being Reaper tech. too and it being the only ending he could survive is kinda odd.

No, it destroys all synthetics. I mean, both EDI and the Geth (as of ME3) have Reaper tech, but I guess they never thought of it. I agree it's stupid, but to the degree I care about it, I can pretend that there's an unreleased post-ME3 adventure where Councilor Shepard harnesses the resources of the universe to bring his loyal co-belligerents back. :p

It makes the same sense that electrifying yourself makes you into an AI, and that "organic energy" can give robots DNA while simultaneously making organic lifeforms part programming.

It's the kind of logic that has EDI, after Synthesis, proclaim "I am alive." What was she before? Didn't we already go over this three times?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Where's the "Shepard waking up in asylum/It was all a dream" ending?

That should have been the consequence of the refusal option, wake up after Eden Prime, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The "refusal option" really does seem to be something they put in for all the people who complained about how Shepard wouldn't have just accepted "Star Kids" word.. but at the same time is still pretty much a "screw you" to the people that wanted that. It's pretty much a fancy "you lose" option.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Does seem that way, heh. They should have set it up so that your EMS affect the outcome in that case - it couldn't hurt to have that number be a bit more impactful, anyway. Maybe you can win conventionally at some horrific cost but still win if you readied enough forces (or taught the ship captains the benefit of focus fire..).

Edited by Malcador

So basically, is the only thing the EMS score affects whether or not you see the "breath" scene? Is that the grand sum of the changes for playing three games, about 30 hours each?

So... did we get an answer why creating synthetics to kill you prevents synthetics from killing you? :)

That question had already been answered ... it just was never a good or logical answer.