Mass Effect 3

Gorth

http://masseffect.bi...t/extended_cut/

Extended cut releases on Tuesday.

Did they change what the extended cut was going to include? All I read was "cutscenes" and "cinematics" to further explain the endings. So if that's the case, and there's no actual new game play for the player, why is the file so large? Are they giving us a 30-minute movie to explain away the silliness?

Most likely a number of voiced cut scenes showing how things ended in various places of the galaxy. Sort of like the old Fallout slideshows, but with higher production values ;)

You're probably right, but it does seem like a lot. They've just been talking about an "epilogue", so it could really be anything.

This has the potential to be worse than the original ending, where I could still cling to the indoctrination theory security blanket. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Y'all are wrong, they just finished putting the whole color spectrum as an ending choice. Now you get a customized explosion of the color of your choice, same crappy ending though.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Most likely a number of voiced cut scenes showing how things ended in various places of the galaxy. Sort of like the old Fallout slideshows, but with higher production values ;)

Still seems a rather big download for just cutscenes and cinematics, no?

Maybe it'll be an hour-long presentation by Casey Hudson on why Mass Effect 3's ending is all about artistic integrity.

Cutscenes and cinematics are the things that take up the most space. Which is why they tend to get cut out of demo downloads.

Will just watch it on Youtube.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The Extended Cut is an expansion of the original endings to Mass Effect 3. It does not fundamentally change the endings, but rather it expands on the meaning of the original endings, and reveals greater detail on the impact of player decisions.

So 1.9 gigs explaining to people how the galaxy was screwed?

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Can anyone explain to me why the only sensible option involving the Reapers (destroy) also results in the death of all synthetic life in the galaxy? I've yet to hear a satisfactory explanation for that one. Did BioWare just feel that they needed to make all the choices suck equally?

• Like 1

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Can anyone explain to me why the only sensible option involving the Reapers (destroy) also results in the death of all synthetic life in the galaxy? I've yet to hear a satisfactory explanation for that one. Did BioWare just feel that they needed to make all the choices suck equally?

Artistic integrity.

It's the answer to any question you may have about Mass Effect 3.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Artistic integrity.

This is probably the No.1 reason I don't want games to become art, eventually everyone will start disguising their inadequacies as art. Pretty much what a lot of the Fine Arts world is now.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Hmm. Any chance that this corresponds with the basic game maybe getting a little cheaper? I've been pretty effectively spoiled as to plot, but I still do want to play it at some point (with reasonable expectations).

Edited by Enoch

Artistic integrity.

This is probably the No.1 reason I don't want games to become art, eventually everyone will start disguising their inadequacies as art. Pretty much what a lot of the Fine Arts world is now.

There's a fine response to it. Bad art.

So 1.9 gigs explaining to people how the galaxy was screwed?

I'm fairly positive Bioware's intent is not that the galaxy is screwed. So I anticipate that it's 1.9 gigs explaining how everything we know about the universe already that implied it would be screwed is wrong. Which I just can't see happen without it being heavy handed retcons and handwaves.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Probably. Of course, that ending might suck a bit less than the others, if your effective readiness is high enough. :p

Edited by Nepenthe

I can. Half the stuff people were saying were plot holes were made up plot holes by players in the first place (for example, the novas blowing up on the galaxy map nonsense, which if that were the case since it was the same galaxy map you move your ship on and make choices on...would mean that Reapers were bigger than entire solar systems by that logic) using illogical stupidity to try to find problems.

I'm not certain what to expect will happen with the new ending, I think there will be some fans that will stand stalwartly that it stinks, even if it's wonderful, simply because it's not EXACTLY what they wanted. Others will say it's much better, and yet others will say it destroyed what was good originally. On the otherhand, maybe many will simply not like it because they wanted a happier ending?

Who knows. Then again, I think Bioware has tossed the happy ending people a bone here...I think there may actually be one hidden in there...which I actually think IS a slam against artistic integrity...but hey...that's how it goes sometimes.

Afterall, I was one who would like a possibility for a happy ending afterall probably too.

Who knows. Then again, I think Bioware has tossed the happy ending people a bone here...I think there may actually be one hidden in there...which I actually think IS a slam against artistic integrity...but hey...that's how it goes sometimes.

I actually liked the idea of no happy ending (happy endings are overrated anyway), but the execution was flawed. As for expectations, I just hope for a lot of elaboration on the details of places and people you met. If they all crash and burn, so be it, but at least show the player and don't make a mockery of the entire 'choice' gimmick.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Afterall, I was one who would like a possibility for a happy ending afterall probably too.

Bioware always wanted the ending to be relatively happy. Bittersweet and triumphant. If the EC adds any sense to it and we get anything other than the absurd original ending, I'd call it right pleasant.

I view the original ending narratively like drunk driving. Their intended destination is a-okay, but at some point they veered into a ditch and I'm not sure they see the problem.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I can. Half the stuff people were saying were plot holes were made up plot holes by players in the first place (for example, the novas blowing up on the galaxy map nonsense, which if that were the case since it was the same galaxy map you move your ship on and make choices on...would mean that Reapers were bigger than entire solar systems by that logic) using illogical stupidity to try to find problems.

I think the point with that was that in the DLC that was a prelude, the Mass Relay in a Batarian system was destroyed, with enough of a shockwave to wipe out the entire system. So all the Relays being destroyed means that every system with a relay in it would be wiped off the map, which means "goodbye earth" even though Shepard "won".

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Looks like Petrarch, I mean Hackett sums up.

And you can tell the child to pound sand of sorts

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Mmmyeah... It's a lot better than the original, there's only one point where the additions really stretch the seams of credibility. Still not exactly ecstatic, but but... something I can maybe live with, even with the substantial amount of hours I've put into the trilogy? :p

Edit: I had some of the vaguer stuff explained to me by someone with a different storyline, I can now say that I'm reasonably happy with it.

Edited by Nepenthe

That means it's out now? If so, maybe it's time to dust off that "Origin" client thing that has been gathering cobwebs for a few months.

Edit: Seems like my Origin client is several versions behind... time to update that one first.

Edit2: Found something called "Rebellion" too under the list of add-ons. No idea what it is, but it was free, so I grabbed it together with the extended thingy.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein