Diablo 3 Sign-Up

I love the new 103 changes to item drops on inferno. With the current drop rates, AH just saves so much time it becomes almost a necessity to use it. At least feels that way for Barbarians and Monks.

It'll also make it easier to actually play Inferno with Hardcore characters.

As is usually the case for me, every skill I choose and every equipment I get goes into higher attack, faster movement and magic find, nothing else. So I'm always a glass cannon. (My wizard has the passive skill, Glass Cannon.)

And yes, AH was pretty much a necessity even before 1.03 - as I said above, 35k spent at the AH and I doubled my DPS. If I waited for a crossbow I found in my own travels, I would still be at 10k DPS or so.

Yet more tweaking and now have 400+resist all and my dps can be 11300 for consistent time, and 17500 for 2 sec. Blinding Flash bursts. :p At least I can farm Elites in the whole first half of Act1/Inferno now, with only a few to several deaths here and there instead of dozens. So I did. And...

...omg? 1st Set item I've seen. Now I have to decide whether to horde it or sell it for a ridiculous sum. I have a Wiz, but unlikely I'll play him long enough to have a whole Set? :getlost:

Diablo3-000095a.jpg

I found a recipe for an entire set (Cain's Honor) on Normal. Which is odd, because I read today they don't drop on Normal.

with the hours I've put into diablo 3, if i were playing diablo 2 i would have found 5-8 set items by now, and probably 1-3 uniques.

so far i have found 0 uniques and 0 set items

drops were much more exciting in D2

hopefully after some patching and an expansion pack, diablo 3 gets the drop rates "right"

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

More hacking information has popped up. Other then the method I posted about before, this one is old hat. Supposedly some Chinese are taking user/pass that they've gotten from other sites, plugged them into Diablo accounts looking for matches. If they get one, then they are good to go. They are doing the same to paypal accounts (so if you have paypal you may want to change it around a bit if it uses anything similar to any other site you frequent). They use those to get free accounts from blizzard for D3.

Small change overall in relation to others, only around 10,000 accounts (may seem big, but compared to 6+million, that's VERY small), but a simple idea that has nothing to do with trojans or virus's, but deals a LOT with how you manage your logins/passes.

Yay! I killed Inferno Butcher. 3 minutes, not too shabby. Not moving to Act2 yet tho...that difficulty spike they're patching sounds truly mean. Going to farm Act1 w/Neph Valor for a while instead, now that Elites don't pose too much trouble. I upgraded one more piece of gear for cheap for a bit more dex and a fair amount more of life-on-hit, but my dps was around 12500 98% of the time...nothing huge/uber. Mostly it's finding the right combo of skills/passives that work with what you have/your playstyle.

Video (shows skill/stats at end):

And that's why I don't want Inferno "nerfed" toooo much. Because when you beat something with less than the "top" gear, it does feel really awesome. Being able to beat the Elites is even better, tho. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I found a couple of new places I'd not seen before on Act 2 (Faud's cellar and the Rockworm caverns).

My gimpy barbarian, at level 44 is starting to get a *BIT* better (I'm spamming perfect Amethysts into all socketed items for health apart from weapons, they get rubies). This means I get over 12000 hp or so but my DPS is still pretty poor. I've tried buy a 170 DPS weapon in the AH but it took my gold and... nothing happened. Balls.

sonsofgygax.JPG

You can't get your gold back in the 'Completed' screen?

I'm seeing a *lot* of 200-300 DPS weapons of all sorts, both in AH for under 25k and as drops - though I think over half of them would have 50+ level requirement. I'll try and see what I find... though I don't know when I'll play next. Suffering through a 7 hour layover in Pudong Airport (truly, a hole in the ground if there ever was one) on my way to Paris.

And yes, AH was pretty much a necessity even before 1.03 -

1.0.3 isn't out yet.

But yeah...even tho I'm pretty sure you could make it (slowly) through Hell, at least, not using the AH - at least solo - all you'd be doing is spending all that money on the random blacksmith instead, or spending a lot of time farming with MF gear on (a lot more than you'd have to farm in D2, I mean). And thus, most people are going to say "screw the blacksmith, I'm spending my gold on the AH".

(I'm spamming perfect Amethysts into all socketed items for health apart from weapons, they get rubies). This means I get over 12000 hp or so but my DPS is still pretty poor. I've tried buy a 170 DPS weapon in the AH but it took my gold and... nothing happened. Balls.

Protip I discovered/learned recently: once your dps gets high enough, green gems in weapons gives you a bigger boost to dps than the red ones. It's a math thing...which I don't pretend to understand....but crit. damage is its own stat and as stats/damage increase, green is generally better. So...low lvls/low dps, red gems. Higher lvl/higher dps, green gems.

@LC: Last night I unashamedly jacked your build (except for Fleet Footed) and I love it. My survivability and damage both dramatically increased.

Heh, yeah, I use Fleet Footed + fast run boots in order to deal with Elites. It helps (me) a lot to be able to run fast while kiting and running around those mobs, or when desperate, to run away in general. Faster I am, the more time I have to melee hit before having to start running away to recoup skill timers or escape wallers/fast runners etc. It also helps you run out of the Butcher's fire grating with less dmg. taken. But I could have changed it to something else for the Butcher. I like the Resolve one, I think it is. Where they do less dmg. to you for a few seconds when you hit them.

News:

According a recent developer public chat, or something, (AMAA?), in a future patch (not 1.0.3) will make it so first-kill on bosses will drop rares in all difficulties, not just Normal. They mentioned a lot of things that will likely be in future patches, mostly GUI/AH stuff, too.

Other changes that will be in 1.0.3 that were not listed on that blog writeup:

Confirms / 1.0.3 Additional Information:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Thanks for the tip about gems, LadyC.

I managed to get the Legendary Blind Faith gimp mask helmet, socketed, on Ah for a good price plus a 170 DPS halberd, so my overall DPS is up to 1179 or something.

The AH can be cranky but yeah I found all my money hiding in there!

Level 45 on Act II, about 3/4 of the way through (solo and with no follower) and it's becoming less of a slog. I seem to use the spear / drag ability with a rune-happy power / earthquake thing that is totally OP. I drag the mobs into my AoE ability and melt the suckers. It has a long cooldown but it's great.

sonsofgygax.JPG

And thus, most people are going to say "screw the blacksmith, I'm spending my gold on the AH".

This is what I am doing now too. The items I will get from the blacksmith are always worse than what I can get from the AH. There is really no reason to use the blacksmith at all, especially if you aren't on lvl60 yet.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

The blacksmith really gets worse as you level up, since your equipment will constantly be more and more tailored to your character, while the blacksmith's will still be totally random. If you have a piece of armor with one property you find useful, it might still be worth it to smith one with 3 random properties, but when you have armor with 2 properties you want, making one with 4 random starts being pretty pointless, especially with the extremely high prices. Hopefully the price lowering will make him interesting again.

The jeweler sort of seems useful, but you should remember that the equipment drops always have higher stats bonuses than the gems at a particular level, so unless you only want to buff one stat (granted, many characters will), you're better of without sockets. Weapon and Helm slots seem to be always useful, though.

Yes, I've got a high Vitality build because I'm using a two-handed weapon. It's seems to work, and making top tier Amethysts is a pretty cheap way of boosting my HP as opposed to the rubbish the blacksmith pumps out.

sonsofgygax.JPG

The jeweler sort of seems useful, but you should remember that the equipment drops always have higher stats bonuses than the gems at a particular level, so unless you only want to buff one stat (granted, many characters will), you're better of without sockets. Weapon and Helm slots seem to be always useful, though.

The jeweler is way useful on the journey to lvl60, imo. Sure what he can craft will just get dropped later in the game, but if you're having trouble even getting to that later part of the game, it's well worth crafting those gems up...to a point. My gear has all kinds of gems in it. It's one of the better options for taking lesser gear and still being able to use it to get through the game. In my mid40's, I used a blue armor that had +104VIT and three sockets (green, green, purple)for a long time, and it was a while before I saw anything on the AH for my clvl that would beat it stat-wise (well, in the 10-20K price range anyway).

And of course, Rares with sockets are very fun.

However, I'm not convinced gems past the Flawless Square or Perfect Square (looks like a diamond shape) are worthwhile, except for lvl60 perfectionists. Or after an expansion, maybe. Not to mention, upgrading them becomes way expensive.

I think that the Blacksmith, given plans, could be useful. His rares will start to have a lot more attributes (5, 6). But still the problem of random and cost. It seems designed largely to give endgame lvl60's something to do with all their gold and useless magic items.

That developer discussion I mentioned earlier, they were mulling over the possibility of being able to use gems with the blacksmith to force a stat on a crafted item. Which could make him better, but I bet it'd be mega expensive in gold and gems required. :lol:

I am not combining any gems right now, btw. Waiting for the next patch, as it will greatly reduce prices for the combining. :>

Also I think I will switch all my +Magic Find items to +Gold Find, as it is so rare that I find useful magic items. It seems more valuable to get more gold from monsters, so you can spend it on better items in the AH.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

My DPS is now 1500-ish and my armour is great having spent 15000 in the AH on some plate with 3 sockets (all with ultra-strength rubies).

Am now, if not cruising, making solid progress through act 2.

What are people's views on 1H and shield / versus 2H versus DW for barbs?

sonsofgygax.JPG

Bah, terrible lag on US servers this afternoon (GMT) and my high level guy is on there.

I got my second ever legendary drop fighting Belial on NM, a pretty neat piece of armour. I can soak up a lot of damage now, highly-runed revenge is good and that earthquake thing just gets better. Hammer of the Ancients is my other win button on mobs.

sonsofgygax.JPG

~75 hours of Diablo 3 and no legendaries / sets. I don't care if they're crap, I'd like to see one. :(

Will try tomorrow or whenever if I have time - wonder how the lag is from France.

Damnit, I am searching for one of these witch doctor big feather helmets, but they seem to be non-existent in the lvl50+ area. At least I can't find a single one of them in the auction house. So annoying. All the other helmets just aren't cool enough.