Diablo 3 Sign-Up

...the blacksmith (gambling, remember) to get an item with stats you want is insane.

Thats one thing that really irritates me about the Blacksmith, the magical properties of the gear are totally random. I upgrade him religiously because Im a head case like that but stopped using him after I had to craft the same shoulder armor four times before I got stats I could use. A failing in the game IMO, the Blacksmith should automatically produce the correct gear for whichever class is crafting it at the time.

blacksmith works just like gambling did in D2, except instead of automatically levelling with you, you must spend gold to improve his selection of gamble-able goods

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

LOL...not at you guys, at Bliz.

Supposedly I just saw how someone can hack the blizzard Diablo 3 accounts (not me you fools, I don't even have D3 yet).

It isn't hard at all, in fact remarkably easy if you have access to D3.

Not certain why Blizzard allowed it. authenticator won't stop it from what they showed, it's actually not reliant on that at all...though Blizzard may have made a lot of money of authenticators if it costs money.

If I understand correctly though, authenticator could make it slightly more tricky as you need to actually be online and in your account when they hack it rather than otherwise from what I understand.

Could be a fake up though, but ironic if it turns out to be factual.

Edit: Thought about what I saw and decided to add a thing or two. If what I saw was accurate, they are not phishing to get usernames/passwords, nor are they utilizing any trojans or anything on anyone's computers. They are simply playing the game with you. Once they have your username/IP they have access. However, that may work with authentication, but that's not the easy way to do it.

I was thinking that if that was possible, they probably also get every person you've played with recently and your friends and add that to their list. If you don't have an authenticator it is hard to do anything with that list unless they join a game you are in, but without one they could simply start up with your account and do whatever they want.

So, I suppose in that light an authenticator probably is protecting a majority of people since I would suppose in order to even hack enough accounts to make a blip on the radar you'd want to use the recently played/friends lists for your account hijacking instead of manually entering every game in order to do it. Much quicker and efficient to do the listings once you get access and froggy jump from there.

They can still get into an authentiated account though, takes more work however. Not as big a splash for as much time invested.

Youtube is your friend if you can find it.

Edited by greylord

authenticator is free if you have a phone

also, blizzard is so far claiming that not a single diablo 3 account with an authenticator has been hacked

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Blizzard also claimed it was from trojans and items on people's machines. This way to steal an account has nothing to do with what's on your machine. All it needs is an initial hack of one person's account. You HAVE to be in the game with that person. After you do that you can grab all their friends and recently played list and branch out from there. Authenticator or not, it won't protect you from the person to person hack if they are already in your game...especially if you are the host.

That doesn't mean the root account they first get into will have an authenticator or not. In probabilities the original ones would not since I expect a majority do not have authenticators.

But if they are there in game with you, won't matter if you have an authenticator or not.

What the authenicator probably could stop is their branching. Once they have the list they don't even have to be in a game or even see you to get the account. A bot could do it if they programmed it right. I expect that's actually the route they are taking. They hack one game, get the lists, and then basically hack any open account after that. That attempt probably COULD be stopped with an authenticator. It's faster, easier, and makes a bigger impact than doing every hack manually.

I would expect that the numbers doing this hacking are actually quite small, and have figured out how to create a bot in order to increase the impact. I also expect that this is not done to profit anyone, but because someone didn't like Blizzard and wanted to put the shakedown/hurt just to be malicious and damage Blizz's reputation.

My WoW account was hacked, and Blizzard has never been able to actually fix it. I've petitioned a couple times and they always say "clean your computer, change passwords, blah blah." Then they unban my account, and a few hours later they ban it again. It is ridiculous, it is clearly a problem on their end, I've done all the steps to protect my account. Luckily I have no desire to play WoW again, but it concerns me when I play a game like Diablo 3.

...the blacksmith (gambling, remember) to get an item with stats you want is insane.

Thats one thing that really irritates me about the Blacksmith, the magical properties of the gear are totally random. I upgrade him religiously because Im a head case like that but stopped using him after I had to craft the same shoulder armor four times before I got stats I could use. A failing in the game IMO, the Blacksmith should automatically produce the correct gear for whichever class is crafting it at the time.

At least the class items, like wizard hat or barbarian belts, should get the right stats. There's nothing fun about 10th wizard hat with strength and dexterity on it.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

My WoW account was hacked, and Blizzard has never been able to actually fix it. I've petitioned a couple times and they always say "clean your computer, change passwords, blah blah." Then they unban my account, and a few hours later they ban it again. It is ridiculous, it is clearly a problem on their end, I've done all the steps to protect my account. Luckily I have no desire to play WoW again, but it concerns me when I play a game like Diablo 3.

Get an authenticator? The non mobile one is basically un-hackable, and basically only costs shipping.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm now level 35 Bbn playing on Nightmare.

All of a sudden, Diablo 3 feels like the game it was meant to be. Choosing kit and skills suddenly becomes far more important. There's even (gasps) an element of tactical thinking required. And the gonzo, visceral, utterly silly feeling of spamming obscene powaz in the middle of massive monster mobs is even more fun that before.

Now, if I could find a weapon with a DPS of more than fifty....

sonsofgygax.JPG

Nightmare seems to be my difficulty enjoyment threshold. I was not enjoying myself in Hell with my Monk as every mob seems to devolve into a battle of attrition where you just wipe constantly until you eventually grind them down. Maybe it will be different when my ranged Wizard gets there but melee is just a mess of dying in seconds due to poop on the floor or getting one-shot.

LOL...not at you guys, at Bliz.

Supposedly I just saw how someone can hack the blizzard Diablo 3 accounts (not me you fools, I don't even have D3 yet).

It isn't hard at all, in fact remarkably easy if you have access to D3.

Not certain why Blizzard allowed it. authenticator won't stop it from what they showed, it's actually not reliant on that at all...though Blizzard may have made a lot of money of authenticators if it costs money.

If I understand correctly though, authenticator could make it slightly more tricky as you need to actually be online and in your account when they hack it rather than otherwise from what I understand.

Could be a fake up though, but ironic if it turns out to be factual.

Edit: Thought about what I saw and decided to add a thing or two. If what I saw was accurate, they are not phishing to get usernames/passwords, nor are they utilizing any trojans or anything on anyone's computers. They are simply playing the game with you. Once they have your username/IP they have access. However, that may work with authentication, but that's not the easy way to do it.

I was thinking that if that was possible, they probably also get every person you've played with recently and your friends and add that to their list. If you don't have an authenticator it is hard to do anything with that list unless they join a game you are in, but without one they could simply start up with your account and do whatever they want.

So, I suppose in that light an authenticator probably is protecting a majority of people since I would suppose in order to even hack enough accounts to make a blip on the radar you'd want to use the recently played/friends lists for your account hijacking instead of manually entering every game in order to do it. Much quicker and efficient to do the listings once you get access and froggy jump from there.

They can still get into an authentiated account though, takes more work however. Not as big a splash for as much time invested.

Youtube is your friend if you can find it.

A compilation of official Blizzard Responses:

Over the past couple of days, players have expressed concerns over the possibility of Battle.net

Edited by TrueNeutral

if you're on level 60 in Hell, are you still getting one shotted? I'm only just starting nightmare, but I thought inferno was supposed to be the hard difficulty for level 60 characters?

hmmm, i wonder how big a difference being level 60 will make

also, i recently discovered you can buy pretty good gear for really cheap on the gold auction house. a decent item upgrade usually only costs me about 4000-6000 gold on my characters (levels 26-34)

thats a lot cheaper than crafting

Blizzard is one of those few companies who have always been up front with their stuff, so I'd be very surprised if this isn't true. I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just saying I trust Blizzard over unverified stories on battle.net. In fact, I just read a thread on battle.net where someone freaked out and claimed they were hacked because all their characters disappeared, then realized they logged into the wrong region. The sad state of Blizzard's fanbase is that over 50% of it consists out of the truly dumbest and most entitled people on the planet and while I'm sure some of them were hacked by no fault of their own, I have always assumed the majority of them are surfing warez sites with no virus protection.

But this might be just the extreme hatred all my dealings with the Blizzard fanbase on WoW has caused talking. I truly despise all those people.

I think Blizzard is lying. They could have doctored the video...but it showed EXACTLY how they were hacking the accounts.

In fact, from the instructions I could do it. It's actually not difficult to do nor to figure out how to do it once you've seen the video on how it's done and what's being done. In fact, if someone were in a game, and I joined up, I could hijack their account live while they were still in it, in fact that's the most effective way to do it. Then rip their recent players and friends list and bot it up, that's less effective and probably can be stopped by authenitcators, but an easy way to branch out and steal accounts temporarily.

Then either strip the currently played characters they had for materials and put them on a mule account, or sell the account for a couple cents via a pirate site and let someone else use that character for a few hours before the real owners catch on (if they catch on).

There are two reasons for them to do this.

First, to do what they are doing, giving Blizzard a black eye.

Secondly, for pirating accounts. You can currently go and get access to a Diablo 3 account even if you don't buy the game. You can even hijack it if you do the right stuff...but as forewarned, you'll lose access or anything that you want to do when Bliz catches on.

The only reason I think Blizzard isn't admitting it is because if they admit it's not the people, it's the program that they are using, they could be liable for FAR more than a simple fine. That opens the doors to multiple lawsuits and actions similar to what is occurring to them currently in Korea, but even worse as then it's EVERYONE.

I think the other problem is that blizzard is either at an impasse in that they don't know how to fix it short of turning the entire game off for quite a while, and until they do they don't want to bring more attention to it then they have to.

Edited by greylord

My 49 wizard, despite having over 2k DPS, has a really tough time soloing end of Act 3 Nightmare. Obviously, given that the level cap is 60, you gain new skills/runes more slowly beyond 30, and you get a paltry <5 bonus to your attributes each level, I think after 35 or so levelling hardly matters, except to meet the item use requirements. To make your character competitive in hell and inferno, it seems it's all about the drops you find.

....or more accurately, the auction house. I don't remember in D2 that my character was stuck at too weak to survive, until I turned to trading to get me some leg-up items; now, I have to AH and get me a few items to provide that boost,, so I can get to the next act and enjoy the drops. Maybe it's because I'm mostly playing with 2 or 3 people, though - I used to do a lot of public game 8-player runs.

I Just saw someone on my friends list doing around 44k damage at level 60. What the hell?

Yeah....that's nothing for lvl60. Drops start to improve at 60 because of that MF thing I guess....I've seen some people with 70K dps. Some even higher. Considering Inferno late Act bosses can have 7million hit points or something, I'd say that's not a reach. heh

I don't remember in D2 that my character was stuck at too weak to survive, until I turned to trading to get me some leg-up items; now, I have to AH and get me a few items to provide that boost,, so I can get to the next act and enjoy the drops. Maybe it's because I'm mostly playing with 2 or 3 people, though - I used to do a lot of public game 8-player runs.

No, the drops in D3 pretty much suck until lvl 60. You'll find a good/useful item now and again but overall I often felt like things that dropped were subpar for my clvl. I mean, in Act2 Hell I was getting a lot of Rares dropping, but they were all lvl 44ish items, with somewhat weak bonuses, whereas I was ... lvl 55. :getlost:

Anyway....I'm lvl59 in mid-Act3 Hell. With 4100dps and 30-35K health it's actually been kind of a bore for my Monk. I blew through all those nutty mobs and Elites on the battlements without too much issue or one death. Maybe I'm supposed to be a few levels lower. I'd need 3000dps or 15K less health to make it seem that challenging solo I guess. I can even do the "Invincible" Elite now, albeit those type of Elites take a lot of running and kiting. The one creature that can kill me repeatedly is the exploding guys. I let them stick to my Templar and run away. :p

So Inferno better be a constant death fest even if I have good gear, or else one, I'll be disappointed, and two, it'll show that Monk's are OP'd for soloing, even without that regen Mantra/Boon of Protect, which I still don't use. Either that or I'm just super awesome.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I played a little with SadExchange and Gfted, but they both left.

*shakes fist*

My 41 demon hunter's jumped from 1100 to 1800 dps with a rare bow that dropped for my wizard, though, so taht feels a lot better than auctioning new gear.

At level 34 on NM I found my first legendary item, a pair of gloves that dropped from a blue mob in The Cathedral. They're OK-ish but oddly have different class-based abilities (i.e. mine helps out a Demon-hunter more although I can wear them).

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

Well, got to Inferno. Once I hit lvl60 I pretty much rushed the end of Act3 and Act4, just to kill the bosses (run run stairs, run run stairs). All those Elites and such are a serious pain in the butt to deal with - didn't die too often in Hell but it's so darn time consuming if you kill them all - and I was tired of that grind tonight so I just ran. :) Diablo fell w/out me dying even once, which was nice since I wanted to be in Inferno, darnit....so now I am. I ran to the Skeleton King to check him out and....I died on the 1st try, partly because I was a bit incautious. But at least the death made me chuckle a bit.

(Are we at the point now where the still shot that an embedded video shows isn't considered a spoiler? .... well, never mind, I'll put in it spoiler tags)

I killed him on the 2nd try. Wanted to get there because I find his Royal Crypt spot a lazy (ie, easy/safe) place to farm moderate amounts of gold (get a lot of gold find gear and break all the stuff there). Those Artisan prices...*grumbles* But for now...had enough D3 I think. I can beat Inferno later. :p

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts