Diablo 3 Sign-Up

I think originally (way back when) the friends type listings showed your real name by default, which is what I strenuously objected to. If it requires some kind of easy-to-monitor approval (on my end, not dependent on the other person) before that occurs, now - email address, permission checkbox, whatever - that might be tolerable.

But it sounds like, generally speaking, if I ever buy this game, I won't be having a Friends list.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Since it's free to play and all and you don't have to worry about matching payment details and such, wouldn't it therefore be no issue at all to just create a new battlenet account for this game alone with all fake details?

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Me, gifted and greylord went through the whole beta, me as monk and others as witch doctor. It's fun to play with others, but damn, it is way, way too easy. I didn't use a single health potion, try to pick up health orbs, or even look at my health bar until the skeleton king at the end. I just had to walk up to things and hit them until they die, it's like playing on God Mode. A few times I tried walking up to mobs by myself and not doing anything, and they all attack at about once a second, do so little damage I can't even see my health bar drop. Even with the Skeleton King, when he does hit you he does fair but not great damage, and half the time he doesn't even hit you, he's doing... whatever. Really needs harder difficulties.

@Tigranes - it'll have harder difficulties, like all the Diablo's. Nightmare/Hell after Normal...but you have to slog through Normal first. :lol: Whether they'll feel harder when you get there with high lvls/skills and high gear...who knows.

Since it's free to play and all and you don't have to worry about matching payment details and such, wouldn't it therefore be no issue at all to just create a new battlenet account for this game alone with all fake details?

It's easier to just not join into any MP games. Not that huge on MP anyway. Open beta's almost over and I'm already bored enough that I don't feel like finishing with the Demon Hunter or Witch so ... that's it for me.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Me, gifted and greylord went through the whole beta, me as monk and others as witch doctor. It's fun to play with others, but damn, it is way, way too easy. I didn't use a single health potion, try to pick up health orbs, or even look at my health bar until the skeleton king at the end. I just had to walk up to things and hit them until they die, it's like playing on God Mode. A few times I tried walking up to mobs by myself and not doing anything, and they all attack at about once a second, do so little damage I can't even see my health bar drop. Even with the Skeleton King, when he does hit you he does fair but not great damage, and half the time he doesn't even hit you, he's doing... whatever. Really needs harder difficulties.

I tried something different with my character. I tried to avoid their linear path progression and make a melee witch doctor. Did pretty good to tell the truth until the Skeleton King. I should have run a little more than trying to go toe to toe with him.

Trying various things to see how viable and fun they are in d3. It was a blast just to do suboptimal builds and just fool around in D2...there's not quite as much freedom to do that in D3...most of it is using weapons or equipment that aren't ideal for your class.

Still giving it a go while the beta lasts however.

• Like 1

there are tons of terrible builds in diablo 3, have you looked through all the skills and runes? not all are created equal...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I tried something different with my character. I tried to avoid their linear path progression and make a melee witch doctor. Did pretty good to tell the truth until the Skeleton King.

:lol: I was wondering what happened to you there.

I agree that Normal difficulty is a joke but I think it will get harder. After all, were only playing to the first boss.

I tried something different with my character. I tried to avoid their linear path progression and make a melee witch doctor. Did pretty good to tell the truth until the Skeleton King.

:lol: I was wondering what happened to you there.

I agree that Normal difficulty is a joke but I think it will get harder. After all, were only playing to the first boss.

This is just beta, of course it'll be harder in retail.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Well, now I'm getting error 12 (you don't have D3 license) even though I tried the workaround of resetting password. Guess I'll try again later, if I feel like it, though now I'd only play if some of you guys are on.

Wait, are you saying you can still play it? I thought it was ended? Just curious.

It did end, but the wait is short.

I only played two classes, the ones I was eager to test before the beta started. The monk was a fun meele character, and I guess he'll get cool moves as he gets more levels. The Witch Doctor was also fun. I liked sending out my dogs ( I think they were dogs) to distract enemies and then i could stay back and fire at the enemies. I wasn't expecting the WD to be fun to play, but I did enjoy playing as one. I might try the Barbarian for a little while, but I usually get bored with that type of character. The other two classes aren't very interesting to me at the moment. So I'll probably main a Monk or Witch Doctor.

I ended up maxing a Witch Doctor as well, I'd say he was one of the coolest characters (taking in consideration VO, visual appearance, lore and abilities) but the least fun to play.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I did enjoy the beta weekend. I didn't have as much time to as I had wanted, because my brother came from up north, but I did play it through three times. Most disappointing thing was the difficulty level.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

we know that you cannot play it on hard right out of the box, you must go through normal first.

that said, normal should be a fast breezethrough.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Hmm, I forgot to post my experience with the beta... so if anyone cares:

I was a bit disappointed to be honest. I played d2 with a bowazon almost exclusively, from all the other characters only a double-claw assassin got to hell. Also I never played on battle.net - only lan/direct ip games with friends.

So I tried the demon hunter and the monk, and while the monk did feel 'powerful and fast' like the assassin did, it felt weird that I had to wait on a time-out with the blinding skill - like in an MMO, srsly... I also played a bit with the wizard, and this was even more accentuated with that class.

Luckily the dual-mana-pool of the DH was a lot better solution if not as straightforward at first. Also the frantic gameplay like in diablo 2 seemed to be there - but I share the views on the beta being too easy so it's a bit hard to gauge. Anyway the DH played just like how I like to play - kiting, positioning, CC - so I have to give credit there and if I ever bought the game I quite possibly could always play that class - just like the bowazon.

Still the nerfing of the skill system was apparent right at the beginning as I couldn't use X and Y skills together because they were both grouped under one 'tab'... compared to d2 it's sad. Also the 'runes' are a joke, it's just leveling up skills and that's it, calling them runes just gives a feeling of 'cut content' to the whole thing.

Lastly I think the 'console level' zoom does a disservice to the game, and overall I had a feeling that in retrospect Dungeon Siege 3 compares really favorably - only with the exception of random maps.

So to sum up I think I could get the same enjoyment out of Torchlight 2 lot cheaper.

A lot of D2 skills had time-outs. ALso, I think you can use the 6 hotkeys to map whatever you want, e.g. 6 skills from the same 'tree', but you have to wait until the hotkeys all 'unlock' and you only get the 6, instead of 10+. Still stupid, but yeah.

i never had a problem putting multiple skills from the same tree on at once. is that what elective mode does? i just turned on all the options from the start so i never tried playing with elective mode off

i never had a problem putting multiple skills from the same tree on at once. is that what elective mode does? i just turned on all the options from the start so i never tried playing with elective mode off

Yes, that's what elective mode does from what I can tell. You can choose the skills from the same arena...or assign skills to different then the default slots from what I can tell.

So it's some kind of option? So there's a no hand-holding mode? Wow, that's lame... and I'm a noob then. :)

Still my overall impression remains the same.

Yeah, Diablo 2 had cooldown on some skills, but I don't remember that it was actively defining my gameplay. Take the assassin for example, it had a charge-up mechanic and instead of waiting for a cooldown I remember counting the charges for phoenix strike and the like. That mechanic involves the player, uses his actions and not his 'non-actions'. That's what I found annoying.

The entire mechanic of the D2 sorceress depended on managing several sets of cooldowns; their importance is evident in the way Blizzard had to eternally fiddle with the cooldowns for Frozen Orb and Blizzard, in particular. Thus the obvious utility of the Nova+x build. I saw some similarities in the way the monk builds up spirit then punctuates this with big attacks that use the spirit bar. it seems more basic, less frantic, more tedious than D2, but I can't say for sure until we can play to pretty high levels.

Still not sure, I guess I"ll get it if there are enough people here who do, and we can have a big Obsidian group.