Shadowrun Returns

I wonder how likely it would be for Berlin to offer some kind of multiplayer? It would be cool if there were a GM mode with up to 4 players as runners. 

Actually, that sort of would go with "asynchronous play" Nintendo lauds about their Wii U. Maybe Nintendo could give em' a few bux :p

Edited by anubite

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

I've been working with the editor and watching the tutorial videos.  The videos seem pretty well done, and I was able to make some good progress.  I still have a lot to learn about building maps though.

I'm about 10 hours in so far, so I'm assuming I'm nearing the finish as to what's been said throughout the posts here and I'm simple loving the game.  Much like what has been said about the looting, this game simply does not need it.  To me, playing this game is like actually running a campaign in pnp.  Sure, it's not open in many respects, but it provides some great atmosphere, great dialogue and some superb music throughout.  The combat serves its purpose and can be quite enjoyable.  My dwarf adept is just busting through enemies while I roll with some other classes to flesh out the party.

The save system has been fine for me, however I will say you can certainly get yourself into trouble in the later part of the game if you forgot to buy some medkits or bring along a healer, but in the end, it's a learning experience.  I've seen quite a few negative remarks about the game in the steam forums, but the reasoning behinds the complaints are less than remarkable.  Too short?  And not open enough?  Honestly, this game, at least for me, is like reading a really good novel that I can make some designs and then it conforms to it.  Like a choose your own adventure novel.  I will say the game is not perfect, especially dealing with some of the sound cutting out/clipping issues, but I can say, for the $18 I paid for it.  I know I'm going to get my money's worth, especially thanks to the community and I will definitely be looking forward to the Berlin DLC when they release it.

Oh, did anyone read the negative comments pertaining to the devs, on how much the kickstarter raised as to the product they got.  It really shows the immaturity and ignorance of some people.  It takes money to make a game, especially one with an editor as capable as this title.  Anyway, can't wait to finish up the campaign, and think about my next character through or start combing through the community workshop.

Considerig how much the built up Harlequin, he was pretty useless in combat.

Really?  Huh, he was the first melee character I had used and I found his variety of hits pretty useful.  He was also a better mage than most of the runners I hired.  He was better than that elf guard I brought for an extra bug zapper.

I think I'll go decker next run through.  I also didn't use many riggers, but I noticed quite a few air ducts for them to take advantage of.

I think I mostly got schooled by the combat mechanics with him. He hit with his melee attacks a total of twice, and there were too many bugs hitting people for 1 damage directly after them getting hit for 20 that his healing spells were mostly useless. For someone who supposed to be like thousands of years old with some cool magic sword and such, a 65% chance to hit random cultist #3 seems pretty weak. He was my only character to die and losing him actually made me more efficient in combat.

I played a decker, the matrix stuff wasn't bad, but there isn't a lot of it. I found I was almost always 1 point too low in my decking skills to take advantage of stuff too, so make sure its high if you want to make use of it.

I'd say thats my one complaint about the game, not enough class/ability related stuff. There's really only 3 or so parts where a decker would come in handy, and any of the points where you need one, one is provided for you.

Think I'm going to go with a shaman for my next play. They seem really interesting.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It wasn't until midway through the game that I realised I could move into melee and swing as a single action instead of having to do them separately. No luxury of being able to control angle of attack that way though, but at least the guy could get in three swings per round. There are some 'huh' aspects in how the special abilities are balanced though - e.g. shotguns get to do damage and cause -1 AP with the Kneecap ability, the melee equivalent, Pommel Strike, does no damage (let alone splash damage) for the same cost and at greater risk. And you need three ranks in the skill instead of one... yeah.

Shaman seem interesting, but their summoning items are expensive single-use consumables that could potentially disappear in a single round. As much as the dialogue options of Charisma appeal, I'm a bit wary of that.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Tried a replay of the game as a custom character (that is really just a street samurai mostly), although my stupidity had me sell my baseball bat and forget to buy a replacement.  I died helping out Paco, but as such don't find myself feeling to motivated to pick up the playthrough again.

In general I have noticed myself enjoying "replay" less and less in a lot of games (strategy games excluded), and feel that this one may end up being a "one and done" for me.  Not that I didn't enjoy it and feel it was worth the money, because I certainly do on both counts.

Considerig how much the built up Harlequin, he was pretty useless in combat.

That's the trouble with an NPC like Harlequin. In-universe, the whole "immortal elves who happen to know magic beyond the average ken, and have got millenia of skills" make great plot background characters, or people moving pieces around. But they tend to be sucky for actually putting into statistics and having them rolling with (or against) the pc's. Which only comes out worse in crpg's.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I found the game quite addictive and enjoying it so far.  Hit the bug at Stop the Ceremony quest.   :facepalm:   From the look of the official forum, the devs seem to be working on it and I guess it's time for me to go back to other things in my life.  Still very happy with how the game turned out.  Absolutely no idea why some people complaining.

No looting - yeah, I'm happy with that.  I don't think container clicking is a vital part of CRPG, at all.

You can avoid this bug if you finish her minions first (all of them).

Question: Do attributes directly affect the skills that are under its tree? i.e. does quickness directly impact gun skills and accuracy and dodge, or is it only used to unlock the next tier level?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Right before that last battle, if you have less than 4 in your group, a soldier comes and says something about reinforcements from the guy who sent you there, however it doesn't appear that anyone joins your group.  is this a bug?

I have to admit I've enjoyed the game and even made two runs on it (Human Decker, Dwarf Rigger). Now I am trying to get some very unusual character, max cha for etiq. and get some levels in pistol combat - elf female.

The Campaign shipped is a nice narrative, although I admit that while rigger's double drone strat was kind of nice and drones were also useful for accessing some areas, but I felt like generally there was some missed potential. Decker is even worse. I hoped for some more options to travel to Matrix, especially since his equipment and programs are fairly expensive and combat usefulness almost non-existent if you will go Max int/ Deck/ ESP route (he can't hit a barn, and with a debuff on the enemy he can;t hit a car.) But one debuff per round and two more APs that are basically useless is really the downside. I guess the game favors less maxing, and more variety.

The final chapter is a bit tedious, other than that, a really nice experience and I really would like to see more campaigns on this, maybe with a bit more persistent shadowrunners squad

Question: Do attributes directly affect the skills that are under its tree? i.e. does quickness directly impact gun skills and accuracy and dodge, or is it only used to unlock the next tier level?

Yes, quickness directly affects your ability.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm guessing we will see some pretty fantastic decker campaigns in the near future.  The tools are all there to make them.

I've had the editor open since yesterday and I'm starting to make some progress.  I made a basic apartment, set up some stuff to interact with, got an NPC conversation and a quest item worked out, and now I've got it linked to the Seattle downtown map the game came with.  It's not hard to get a handle on it.

I don't know about decker campaign, but I'm hoping we can make Matrix social areas. I don't even know if there'll be a spot for it in my campaign, but I'm already liking the idea.

I don't know about decker campaign, but I'm hoping we can make Matrix social areas. I don't even know if there'll be a spot for it in my campaign, but I'm already liking the idea.

It's doable.  The Matrix levels aren't really any different than the regular ones, at least not from what I can see.  You can place NPC's and create conversations for sure.

... so it's a decent enough game then?

It's the bees knees.

But I am a huge fan of Shadowrun and loved the SNES version, so this was in my wheelhouse.

As somebody who never played the console game, and who knows Shadowrun only by reputation, I'm having a good time. 

The campaign is very linear, but (so far) it's a reasonably well written mystery story.  The combat mechanics are solid, the writing is good by vidyagames standards, and I haven't seen any serious bugs or other screwups yet.

I'm playing as a dwarven mage.  I just got through my first seriously tough combat (read: my first 2 actual combat deaths).  It was a fight

in a cemetary

.  Steam has my playtime at about 10 hours, but I'm prone to leaving games paused and doing other things, so that may not be especially accurate.  It feels like I'm close to some kind of conclusion, but I have no real way of knowing whether there's some other twist waiting. 

First semi-major editor gripe. I can't find a way to view NPC models in the editor. Which means I have to trust the description or memory until I actually run the thing, then it's trial and error after that. You can view the image of every environment placeable, you can view every portrait for a character, you can not view the actual character models...

I guess I could run "auditions" if I had to. Spawn a bunch that fit the description, go into the game, then figure out which I like most.

I'm not sure if I can modify equipment either. There's no equipment editing function that's too obvious.

I'm trying to puzzle out how to get scene transitions to understand where the character is entering from.  I have multiple entry points into the Seattle streets, but I've only got my character spawning at one place.   :blink:

I'm enjoying puzzling it out though.

Never thought about that. They never have multiple entries in the campaign.

You might need to play it with variables. Or mission items if you have trouble using variables scene-scene.

Tale, I'm going to share what I have so far if you want to take a look.  I'm curious how the uploading to the workshop work out.

edit:  I uploaded it and it is available to all my Steam friends.  It isn't finished yet, just the start of it.  I'll probably update it in a day or two.  

Edited by Hurlshot

The discussion can be continued here.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: