Obsidian to co-develop Wasteland 2 if 2.1 M is reached

C2B

So to me the article is saying if they reach 2.1 million, inXile will bring in MCA and use Obsidian tools. That's it. So even if MCA works on WL2, it won't stop Obsidian from doing their own Kickstarter. Even if MCA, in his role as creative director, was spearheading the initiative, it doesn't mean he'll be the one who'll lead it later on. I'm guessing his role has him to a lot of initial work on most titles. Depending on the project, it could be given to Sawyer as well.

So yeah, I think this is good news for sure. Certainly makes me considering upping my pledge.

Thats what I'm hoping for. But rather then Sawyer a new Tim Cain project would be sweet.

I didn't said that Obsidian has no potential for that. Your post just sounded like lots of million dollar things are possible now, because a few 100k projects made it.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Actually not reaching the goal for your Kickstarter as a professional developer is pretty risky because it says things about your management and your built-in audience. Not necessarily super-risky, but it may be an additional obstacle with publishers.

Considering their current standing with them.... The downside's probably not all that lower.

Considering they

I didn't said that Obsidian has no potential for that. Your post just sounded like lots of million dollar things are possible now, because a few 100k projects made it.

Ok then. Sorry if I sounded like that. Was certainly not the intention.

http://forums.someth...6#post402078036

An important clarification from Brian Fargo via email:

------------------------------

Brian Fargo posted:

Also important to note that [Obsidian's] contribution is purely in design. We are doing all the code here.

Hopefully this doesn't mean that they do not use the Onyx engine.

I think that's exactly what it means.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Why would they use Onyx? Wasteland 2 has always been promoted as an "old school" RPG, not something using a modern game engine. It's not a AAA title, even if they do reach the $2.1m goal.

And this thread title is very misleading - Obsidian in no way is "co-developing" Wasteland 2. What it comes down to is that Fargo is promising to throw some contract work in Obsidian's direction. And as the budget for Wasteland 2 has grown, it was inevitable that they'd have to find contractors anyway.

Why would they use Onyx? Wasteland 2 has always been promoted as an "old school" RPG, not something using a modern game engine. It's not a AAA title, even if they do reach the $2.1m goal.

And this thread title is very misleading - Obsidian in no way is "co-developing" Wasteland 2. What it comes down to is that Fargo is promising to throw some contract work in Obsidian's direction. And as the budget for Wasteland 2 has grown, it was inevitable that they'd have to find contractors anyway.

Because Onyx would certainly be capable of doing that and is already built up for use in rpgs including complex dialouge-trees.

They might not use the Onyx engine, but read this:

In addition to Chris Avellone's help, Obsidian will be lending the experience they have in the development of RPG games and tools to inXile. Fargo believes this collaboration will allow him to focus more energy on the game,

this is the best news since the New Vegas announcement!

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Wasteland is awesome, but very hard to beat, and very outdated tech wise. if there was a remake using a more modern engine, I'd be all over it. but as it is, I'll never be replaying it. so yeah, while I do understand why you wouldn't like it, it doesn't mean W2 will be a game you won't like :p

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Now, let's wait for another old school RPG designers like Garriott, Spector or Mitsoda.

Wasteland 2 better be awesome because it's certainly raising my hopes now.

If it works well, I hope Brian Fargo will make a remake of Wasteland 1.

Ok, that's worth a bit of money. I went for the "your boxed collectors edition copy of the game will be AUTOGRAPHED BY...". There better be an MCA autograph on it too.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

"Fargo isn't more popular a name as Chris Avellone + Tim Cain"

You sure about that? Perhaps, you should evolve outside the Obsidian forums.Fargo's history in gaming is legendary. Check the official title screen of Fallout. FARGO PRESENTS fallout. Case Closed.

Anyways, the original Wasteland is an overrated inferior version precursor to Fallout 1. An alright game that people think is betetr than it actually is. It does soemthings rights and other things epically horrid.

But Wasteland 2 with the developers of Fallout: New Vegas as opposed to the developers of Alpha Protocol helping tyhe development could be awesome.

"school RPG designers like Garriott, Spector or Mitsoda"

L0L I don't think 'old skool RPG' is what you think it is.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.