Obsidian to co-develop Wasteland 2 if 2.1 M is reached

C2B

Please, don't let these mean that Obsidian is dropping their own Kickstarter plans. :(

That is certainly a concern. I would very much like to see what they'd come up with this.

But right now I can't be anything but happy (and wishful that the 2.1 mil mark is reached). My interest rate of this project just doubled.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Here is the press release:

inXile to collaborate with Obsidian on the design of Wasteland 2!

Newport Beach, CA - March 30, 2012 - inXile entertainment confirmed today that they have reached an agreement with award-winning RPG developer Obsidian Entertainment to collaborate on the game design and writing for their Wasteland 2 project if the funding level reaches $2,100,000. Obsidian

Edited by Brother None

inXile line producer

I don't see this as a very positive decision. They could have made more for themselves in their own Kickstarter (Not to mention if they do one later it won't have the symapthy bonus they would have gotten now) finally owning their own IP.......

:( I hope they still do one on their own ASAP.

Edited by C2B

I must admit that I find this setup a bit... strange. I mean, cool to see cooperation by two companies and all. But what exactly would it mean for development? Since Fargo has some original key people on-board already and what I assume a fairly clear vision of the game (since he seems to have thought about the design a lot even before the kickstarter)... Are there gonna be OEI designers on the game as well or are they just handling the technical side?

It would be cool to see the game done in the Onyx engine. But it'd be fun to know what exactly the partnership would mean for the game since the asking price is fairly high.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Now you Obsidianites have a reason to back this project! And yeah, I guess they could momentarily drop their Kickstarter project since Avellone was spearheading it (unless someone else takes the reins?). This also sounds like it could help them see how much their name has an effect on Kickstarter pledges. Not that there aren't potential risks too.

That said, as someone who was already very much looking forward to the project and likes Obsidian's and Avellone's output, I'm excited. Just hope they don't disappoint me, but well, will be sad if it happens but nothing I can do about it.

Now you Obsidianites have a reason to back this project! And yeah, I guess they could momentarily drop their Kickstarter project since Avellone was spearheading it (unless someone else takes the reins?). This also sounds like it could help them see how much their name has an effect on Kickstarter pledges. Not that there aren't potential risks too.

That said, as someone who was already very much looking forward to the project and likes Obsidian's and Avellone's output, I'm excited. Just hope they don't disappoint me, but well, will be sad if it happens but nothing I can do about it.

My theory is that it's taking them some time to get their own Kickstarter going (it takes time if you want to do it properly), so teaming up with Fargo gives them some revenue and work for some of their people. Fargo/InXile get great designers helping them out with dialogue etc. and possibly grants them the use of Onyx Engine.

I'm still waiting anxiously for Obsidian's very own Kickstarter project, but will donate my 15 dollars for this as well, as soon I bother to figure out how the donation system actually works.

Hate the living, love the dead.

This also sounds like it could help them see how much their name has an effect on Kickstarter pledges. Not that there aren't potential risks too.

Not really trustworthy numbers. This was done in the middle of a Kickstarter, they are working with InXile. There are tons of people that have already pledged that probably won't change their amount anymore. It gives some indication but its not really represantive for if they did a Kickstarter on their own.

I fear the large Kickstarter project becoming oversaturated. We had to get the collective internet's attention for Double Fine's. Then again for this one. Will the internet be still interested in it by the time Obsidian tries? Or will the ADD kick in?

This seems a reasonably cautious move.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I fear the large Kickstarter project becoming oversaturated. We had to get the collective internet's attention for Double Fine's. Then again for this one. Will the internet be still interested in it by the time Obsidian tries? Or will the ADD kick in?

This seems a reasonably cautious move.

Yes.

If Obsidian tried now, even more so. They would have an enourmous sympathy bonus too at this point in time. Thats also why I just hope they DON'T let this opportunity go to waste.

And this way they get less money to use and do not come out of it with their own IP (Which is a major advantage in using Kickstarter)

Edited by C2B

Well, the problem I see is if Obsidian comes out and people avoid simply because they already contributed to two others. Double Fine was the "THIS IS GREAT, I MUST GET IN ON THIS." Wasteland 2 was the "that sounds like a good idea." Obsidian would end up being "wait wait, I'm already contributing to two and I probably should stop jumping every bandwagon that comes along."

I could simply be underestimating the internet's interest in Kickstarter campaigns. I'm kind of assuming the Wasteland and Double Fine adventure groups are overlapping.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Well, the problem I see is if Obsidian comes out and people avoid simply because they already contributed to two others. Double Fine was the "THIS IS GREAT, I MUST GET IN ON THIS." Wasteland 2 was the "that sounds like a good idea." Obsidian would end up being "wait wait, I'm already contributing to two and I probably should stop jumping every bandwagon that comes along."

No, there are other Kickstarters that reached their goals in that time too. That fatiquee hasn't happened yet. This isn't the smart way at all.

And even then the positives for a successfull kickstarter far outweigh the negatives here. They have Chris Avellone and Tim Cain, they have a internet wide sympathy bonus AT THE MOMENT they will lose.

Sorry, no. This isn't smart.

Fears have been somewhat lowered.

But would you still be able to potentially do ur own kickstarter?

Yep! But I really, really want to work on WL2, too. :)

Edited by C2B

I doubt MCA would have gone for this if he was planning to do his kickstarter, like, within the month. I think an MCA/Obs kickstarter was always going to come a little while later.

Upgrading my pledge now, I'm sure it'll mostly be an inXile production but I'd love to see Onyx as the engine.

No, there are other Kickstarters that reached their goals in that time too.

But they didn't asked for a million dollar.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

And your point? If anything thats actually a positive indication of Obsidians chances. Inxile didn't have the better history in games and Fargo isn't more popular a name as Chris Avellone + Tim Cain.

Edited by C2B

about obsidian needing their own IP. I think if Wasteland 2 is succesfull enough inxile and obsidian will be merged and then obsidian will have its own IP in wasteland 2. I upped the pledge from 50 to 100 hoping for this to happen :)

And your point? If anything thats actually a positive indication of Obsidians chances. Inxile didn't have the better history in games and Fargo isn't more popular a name as Chris Avellone + Tim Cain.

My point is, that a million dollars needs either a lot backers (like Double Fine got) or a few with lots of money (like inXile got). The few with lots of money at some point in life won't spend more money and getting as many backers as Double Fine got is not an easy target to achieve. And if the Kickstarterhype is going down, less people will begin to pledge and ultimately the ones with lots of money won't kick it out anymore as well. Soo... just because right now some games fullfilled a few thousand dollars, it doesn't mean many other million dollar titles will make it too.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

So to me the article is saying if they reach 2.1 million, inXile will bring in MCA and use Obsidian tools. That's it. So even if MCA works on WL2, it won't stop Obsidian from doing their own Kickstarter. Even if MCA, in his role as creative director, was spearheading the initiative, it doesn't mean he'll be the one who'll lead it later on. I'm guessing his role has him to a lot of initial work on most titles. Depending on the project, it could be given to Sawyer as well.

So yeah, I think this is good news for sure. Certainly makes me considering upping my pledge.

My point is, that a million dollars needs either a lot backers (like Double Fine got) or a few with lots of money (like inXile got). The few with lots of money at some point in life won't spend more money and getting as many backers as Double Fine got is not an easy target to achieve. And if the Kickstarterhype is going down, less people will begin to pledge and ultimately the ones with lots of money won't kick it out anymore as well.

And why wouldn't Obsidian have the potential for that? What's the downside even at all for trying it out?

Again, your point?