Witcher 2 & Mass Effect 3

Vortigern

I have to say one of the recent rpg games I've enjoyed the most is Witcher 2. It isn't a huge open-ended epic like Skyrim, but it has a decent focused storyline, with plenty of optional side quests, a stunning world and really nice game design - one of the few rpg games where the hand-to-hand combat feels natural. Of course it can be tweaked and improved, but it works. The cutscenes are great and the ending doesn't feel rushed, like so many other great rpg games. Add a bit more character customisation and it would be a brilliant model for the Wheel of Time game being developed (at least I hope it is still being developed).

Yes, the Mass Effect 3 storyline dissolved into garbage at the end of the game. But the element that makes the Mass Effect games so powerful is how decisions made in the games come back to haunt or lift you later on (and not always in the way you expect). This is a key to making successful rpg's. Players want their decisions to matter and thereby make every playthrough of the game unique. Just make sure, if you do this, to have a very clear overall plan for a game/series or you risk mega plot holes big enough to swallow Bioware ...

Oh, this will go some places.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My apple is redder than your Orange. Beat that! :)

At least I managed to finish ME3 (crappy ending and boring grind towards the end included). Can't say the same thing about TW2 which got uninstalled before completing it (when yet anohter QTE popped up).

I still got Skyrim to to do though, lets see how that one fares...

Point being, while nominally all "crpgs", they are as different as 'Command & Conquer' is to 'War in the Pacific' (both being labelled "strategy games"). It depends on what you are looking for in a game. Some games may even have what you are looking for despite being different genres.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Never played Twitcher 2 after the abomination of Twitcher 1 which was one of my top 5 most dissapointing games ever.

ME3 is a good game with flaws and the ending is not one of the main ones.

BL was a great game brought down to emrely above average thanks to a horrible combat system.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The problem with ME3 began long before the end.

It goes back all the way back to "The Arrival" DLC and having ME3 follow that instead of the end of the main ME2 story.

Look at ME2's ending. Shepard has just survived the impossible suicide mission and dealt a blow to the Reaper's efforts. He has a wealth of new information on the Reapers from the Collector base. He confronts the Illusive Man and tells him that he'll do whatever it takes to stop the Reapers. His team is stronger and more committed to the cause than ever before. Although the current battle is over, you see the team preparing for the next fight against the Reapers as Shepard considers his next move.

"The Arrival" and ME3 basically ruins all that. Shepard didn't get a chance to prepare for the Reapers like he told the Illusive Man. His team got broken up and separated. They don't even bother to stay in contract to help each other in their mission against the Reapers. And the Collectors? They weren't important at all. All the data Shepard gathered from the Collectors meant nothing. No one, except for Cerberus, bothered to go beyond the Omega 4 Relay to investigate. All the support Shepard earned evaporated. Heck, "The Arrival" didn't even get a decent follow up since the Batarians were wiped out and Shepard suffered no consequences for killing those 300,000 colonists.

Edited by Giantevilhead

I was honestly expecting ME3 to start with Shepard on trial, and then the invasion. That would have been pretty cool.

Also don't we already have a ME3 thread? Maybe merge?

I think we have 4.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif