Future of the Dragon Age franchise

MrBrown

Hi

We talked about this on a separate thread already, but I decided to make a new one so those interested wouldn't miss the info.

The news is: the executive producer for the DA franchise posted on the BIO forums, talking about the future of the franchise. Most importantly, the following things are confirmed:

a) No more DLCs or expansions for DA2. Possibly patches.

b) They are working on a new DA game.

If you have an account there, definitely check the developer posts: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/260/index/10245444&lf=8

We will try to bring some closure to Hawke's story but likely not in a playable form. Originally we had planned to do an expansion pack but had to stop to focus on what we are working on now.

In other words, EA figured the time and money spent on making an expansion is better used churning out the next full installment in record time.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

We will try to bring some closure to Hawke's story but likely not in a playable form. Originally we had planned to do an expansion pack but had to stop to focus on what we are working on now.

In other words' date=' EA figured the time and money spent on making an expansion is better used churning out the next full installment in record time.

[/quote']

Record time would indicate that it's going to be released in the next month or so.

In other words' date=' EA figured the time and money spent on making an expansion is better used churning out the next full installment in record time.

[/quote']

Record time would indicate that it's going to be released in the next month or so.

With day 0 DLC :)

Maybe they realised that data mining couldn't give them all the answers?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Guest Slinky

3. Synthesis

I think that would be Enhancement! in DA.

And of course the player has to somehow choose the color of the ending by Awesome button, since every action in the game is mapped behind it.

How badly does this series need to fail not to get a sequel?

Because I'd rather not see that uninspired setting again.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

[/quote']

Or reading between the lines, time and money is better spent on doubling the price of the expansion, removing the requirement of owning DA2, removing the part of the title after the colon, and appending the number '3' to it. :p

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Wow. I think the amount of jaded sarcasm in this thread is actually giving me an allergic reaction. Haven't played ME3, but I can't believe it's that bad. And after seeing the decisions they made with regards to c&c between DAO and DA2, I'm neither surprised nor particularly disappointed.

I guess this is just this week's "let's bash BIO" thread.

Now, where are my antihistamines?

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Haven't played ME3, but I can't believe it's that bad.

That would be like a midwife that had never given birth. It can't hurt as much as they say, right? :p

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Wow. I think the amount of jaded sarcasm in this thread is actually giving me an allergic reaction. Haven't played ME3, but I can't believe it's that bad. And after seeing the decisions they made with regards to c&c between DAO and DA2, I'm neither surprised nor particularly disappointed.

It seems to be this forum is full of grumpy old men. I mean, I agree with most of the problems people here have with BIO's games, but I still like them enough to enjoy playing them. What's wrong with you people? ;(

Guest Slinky

but I still like them enough to enjoy playing them.

So do I, but I don't see a reason why I can't poke fun at their rather clear faws :)

There is a difference between the ironic "haw haw, I don't know what they were thinking" and the "they have violated everything good and holy and I wish they would be erased from existence" that tends to come from certain hamster.

but I still like them enough to enjoy playing them.

So do I, but I don't see a reason why I can't poke fun at their rather clear faws :)

There is a difference between the ironic "haw haw, I don't know what they were thinking" and the "they have violated everything good and holy and I wish they would be erased from existence" that tends to come from certain hamster.

118_I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

At this point I'm just pouring oil on the fire for the heck of it - the last BW game I played was ME2 and its going to stay that way in the foreseeable future. I'm not really concerned what they're doing at all - but I do have a reputation to uphold. :biggrin:

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Hopefully they get a better budget this time around. And that they've generally learned from the flaws that hurt Dragon Age 2.

I doubt the former will happen. How could they get a better budget for DA3 than they got for DA2? Can they manage the project well enough to cover for that? Will multiplayer get tacked on?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Hopefully they get a better budget this time around. And that they've generally learned from the flaws that hurt Dragon Age 2.

I doubt the former will happen. How could they get a better budget for DA3 than they got for DA2? Can they manage the project well enough to cover for that? Will multiplayer get tacked on?

EA want all games to be MP it's policy. I can't see how you can shoehorn it into DA3 like you could into ME though, unless they completely drop the tactics side of things in favour of full AI and a more Kingdoms of Amular system. I'd actually find that quite interesting, but it would not be Dragon Age.

Edited by BobSmith101

they could just do party on party deathmatching and call it a day, it would take almost no time to implement, and no one would play it anyway so it wouldn't matter.

I'm sure everyone bought ME3 for the sweet multiplayer action.

I'd like to see an rpg that is more interested in creating a sense of adventure than focusing on poorly implemented relationships between badly designed characters. it will never happen though, bioware is too obsessed with voice acting and failed emulation of joss whedonesque relationships and second rate battlestar galactica dramatics.

maybe i should just replay planescape torment or baldur's gate again for the millionth time

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I actually didn't mind DA2. I didn't like the railroading ending (which seems to be a trend with ME3's ending) they went with, where certain things happened no matter what you did, and you had to fight BOTH "boss fights" regardless of your allegiance. But overall, I had a good time with DA2.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

That would be like a midwife that had never given birth. It can't hurt as much as they say, right? :p

Maybe. But the proof it doesn't hurt as much as they say is that some women have been known to become pregnant, after giving birth once! I could comment further on the Bio love/hate thing by extending the analogy, but I'm under enough scrutiny as it is.

As for DA3 MP, I actually quite like the idea. The old IE games were multiplayer, but I think gameplay design would have to steer away from "awesome" and towards "tactical". Maybe they'll adapt some ideas from TOR?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

3. Synthesis

I think that would be Enhancement! in DA.

The origin of Sandal - revealed at last!

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

i liked a lot about DA2, but the mistakes they made were big ones, and led to the game ultimately being just "ok".

it was really fun for one playthrough, but then once you stop to think about what happened, and try re-playing... the game gets bad really fast.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Unless they are going to go back to making a DA honest to god CRPG count me uninterested.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Hi

We talked about this on a separate thread already, but I decided to make a new one so those interested wouldn't miss the info.

The news is: the executive producer for the DA franchise posted on the BIO forums, talking about the future of the franchise. Most importantly, the following things are confirmed:

a) No more DLCs or expansions for DA2. Possibly patches.

b) They are working on a new DA game.

Frankly, at this stage, neither of those is really news. DA3's been known for ages, and the utter silence since that last (not bad) DLC came out has pretty much suggested that there will be no more. Frankly, the only news here is that they actually were planning AN EXPANSION for the game in silence.

Mike Laidlaw's been moved to a different position (he never was the project director aka casey hudson of DA2 in any case, just the one to give the project a face), but I doubt that anything barring no auto attack in the console versions can be really laid (heh) at his door.

Dragon Age 3: Cataclysm

The old god child will give Hawke/warden three choices at the end.

1. All Qunari & Mages die

2. Blood control of all Mages

3. Synthesis

:yes:

Yeah, I've been taking massive amounts of **** for defending Bio for years, yet I've suddenly realigned myself for no reason? The problem with ME3 isn't that it's bad, it's that it's a really good game with a ****ING TERRIBLE ending, with the added bonus of being the final solution to a trilogy. It's like Return of the Jedi ending right when they are attacking the Death Star only to immediately reveal that Darth Vader used to be a whiny kid and two different miserable actors before fading to black :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Yeah, I've been taking massive amounts of **** for defending Bio for years, yet I've suddenly realigned myself for no reason? The problem with ME3 isn't that it's bad, it's that it's a really good game with a ****ING TERRIBLE ending, with the added bonus of being the final solution to a trilogy. It's like Return of the Jedi ending right when they are attacking the Death Star only to immediately reveal that Darth Vader used to be a whiny kid and two different miserable actors before fading to black :p

That bad, huh?

Guess I'll just wait and see, then. I'm not too worried, to be honest, I'm on record as liking the Lacroix ending in Bloodlines. :p