Good old Games

Gorth

tried playing another world for the first time since i was about 10.... it did not go well

old games are too hard.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

tried playing another world for the first time since i was about 10.... it did not go well

old games are too hard.

It seems we lose our ability to concentrate for long periods of time on games as we age. Not because our concentration gets worse, but because we need to constantly divide our concentration between real-life responsibilities and the game we're playing; it becomes very hard to devote 100% like we did when our only care in the world was that our mothers were going to make us go to be early and wake up early even if we stayed up late.

Maybe I was a particularly poor (and easily frightened) gamer as a kid, but I tend to not feel that playing older games has gotten any more difficult to me. I never got past the Death Tower segment in Flashback on my first encounter with it, over a decade and a half ago, but on picking it up again just a couple years ago, breezed through that part. (Escaping the disintegration field on the alien base, and fighting the aliens on their homeworld on the other hand....) Heck, I don't think I managed to clear Super Mario Bros and SMB3 until I was into my twenties.

On the other hand, it is true that I'm less willing to delve deeply into their mechanics - if I played an IE game now for example I'd not even think about doing anything remotely close to min-maxing as I once way. Sure, I'd be better at it then back then I suspect, I just don't want to dedicate the effort in the foreknowledge it isn't required to achieve the same result.

So yeah, it is a manifestation of losing ability to concentrate, just not a literal one. Difference is "just because" is not a sufficient motivator for me now where it might have sufficed in the past.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

It hasn't really changed for me, which is why my favourite games are still the same kind of games I liked within 2-3 years of playing RPGs. I find ways to arrange small but uninterrupted periods of gaming, though that's obviously not that difficult when you're still in your 20s and not married. Games are important enough for me that I've adapted habits and life patterns to enjoy the games I like the way I like to play - that's just how we roll with any media or pastime, to greater or lesser degrees.

I have found that when I go back to games before 1998, which is when I started playing PC games, I need to put in more effort to acclimatize; but often, taking the time to do so lends its rewards. I've succeeded in things like old point-and-click adventures and some DOS era games, but not yet with others (Wasteland 1, Darklands, Ultima Underworld).

sweeeeet i LOVED soul reaver when it came out and a "friend" "borrowed" my copy and never returned it.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver on GOG now. \o/

Oh, how I want a new game in this series...

Why? The story ended in Defiance.

There were many ties left, it's just so convoluted that you won't notice them without someone pointing them out.

Also, that fight against the Elder God was way too low key to be a final showdown.

If you haven't bought Botanicula yet, check out the new Humble Bundle https://www.humblebundle.com/ It's a bit cheaper than Gog. :)

Nope, haven't bought it yet. I noticed that GoG's version doesn't include the full soundtrack, either, which is a bummer because I normally like to support GoG. But I don't understand the charity bundle thing... (edit: oh...nvm...I'm dense...got it.)

...bah. I need PayPal, Amazon, or Google to pay. No likey. Can I remove the CC info from Google after I've added it, or do they have it forever.

All Humble Botanicula Debut customers can now download a behind-the-scenes Botanicula art book & map collection, a pack of behind-the-scenes photographs & concept art for the feature film Kooky, the experimental interactive music project Osada, and bonus albums from both Floex and DVA, the musicians behind some of Amanita Design's most evocative soundtracks

*whistle innocently* :-

Not that I want to diss Gog, even after they did Witcher 2 to me. Bought some of the old Interplay games where my cd's were getting old and scratched, particularly 'Messiah'. I still need to beat Evil Bob some day :sweat:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I don't see why it's GOG's fault when Amanita doesn't tell them this stuff, Gorth. Or for The Witcher 2 for that matter O_o'

I was just teasing LC, because she didn't want the bundle version (because of the Paypal/Amazon account requirement) ;)

Witcher 2 was a personal disappointment, the only GoG purchase I truly regret.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Bought both Alan Wakes (1st, pre-order), so I can have yet more games that I may not ever get around to finishing. Just been in the mood to try more games outside of my normal range/pickiness again. I almost bought them on Steam this morning, glad I didn't.

Might get Gog's Quest packs someday. For the moment DL'd those AGD Interactive fan versions, since they were free. Think I've spent enough/have enough for one month already.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I still have the box lying around somewhere... never really got into the game.

OMG OMG OMG they've got Silver on gog now. :o

Fortunately I saved all cusom made fan-patches (since the site of them went dead like 4 years ago, and couldn't find them again since). Wonder how well the GOG version works, since the bell in Rain is still a pain in the arse (on my old single-core, don't even know how bad it would be on my current PC).

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee