Good old Games

Gorth

Given the response to dlc on GOG it's probably safer for them to ask. Doesn't cost them much and if they can say that XX% of their are OK with something it takes the wind out of the sails of 'speak for the silent majority' ragers if it's something wholly voluntary and optional.

• Like 2

Man, I sunk a whole lot of time into Bane of the Cosmic Forge back in the day... until my install bugged out on me and prevented me from finishing.  And my computer couldn't run Wiz 7.  (It required a whole megabyte of video RAM!!) 

I know I still have 5 kicking around with the rest of my floppies in my basement. I think I'm going to start and slip into a marathon of sorts with them when the kids go to sleep tonight. Hopefully it still works. By the time I finish 7, the funds should clear in my PayPal account to get 8. Hopefully GOG gets the first 5 as well.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

The Dark Savant Trilogy is to cRPGs as Ghosts'n Goblins is to platformers, as far as difficulty goes.  As soon as these titles hit a sale I'm scooping them up and preparing to get my arse handed to me all over again.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I wonder if any of today's younguns would have the patience necessary to complete these games?  I'm already thinking about where I'm going to find the 400+ hours I'm going to need to run through the trilogy.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

my first major crpg's were fallout and baldur's gate, and im not sure i have the patience to play crpg's much older than that

i've never really tried though

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

my first major crpg's were fallout and baldur's gate, and im not sure i have the patience to play crpg's much older than that

i've never really tried though

Not every old RPG was a grind fest like Wizardry or Might&Magic.

Going back to something like Dark Sun can show you the roots that would later lead to Baldurs Gate.

• Like 1

It's true Wizardry is a grind-fest, but it's also deep, flexible, and rewarding.  You can't go through fights on autopilot in Wizardry because you'll get murdered.  There are some deep tactical decision to be made in those old school archaic mechanics.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Wizardry 8 was my introduction to the Wizardry franchise, and I remember enjoying it.  I never did finish it, however.

It does have the wiki style dialogue, however, which I do not typically enjoy.  I remember the combat and level progression system, however, to be a lot of fun.

Screw it, I'm not waiting for a sale.

/scoops up Wizardry 6+7

I'll get 8 when it's on sale, I have plenty of time (not like I'm finishing 6&7 anytime soon).

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Slinky

All Codemaster games are on -60% sale, so all of you who think Demons/Dark souls are bad ass games get Severance: Blade of Darkness for $2.39 and get crushed under its massive balls.

In how many games these days you can whack someone to pieces and then throw his head at his friend?

All Codemaster games are on -60% sale, so all of you who think Demons/Dark souls are bad ass games get Severance: Blade of Darkness for $2.39 and get crushed under its massive balls.

In how many games these days you can whack someone to pieces and then throw his head at his friend?

YES YES & YES!! :yes:

Spanish software for the win pal!

Graphics, particularly the lighting effects of real-time shadows, character animation, texturing, the soundtrack, the physics, gigantic landscapes, fluid dynamics... All this done by a Spanish Company called Rebel Act Studios in the year 2001 !!

It's a shame that some people came up with Mount & Blade or Dark Souls. This game is a MEDIEVAL COMBAT SIMULATOR. Blade simply owns M&B and Dark Souls in every single aspect. A Masterpiece which belongs to the golden era of the computer platform.

• Like 1

It's a shame that some people came up with Mount & Blade or Dark Souls. This game is a MEDIEVAL COMBAT SIMULATOR. Blade simply owns M&B and Dark Souls in every single aspect. A Masterpiece which belongs to the golden era of the computer platform.

I used to love the game back in the day but calling it a simulator is too much.

It has not aged gracefully and is imbalanced as hell.

I still can't believe that a normal person could finish the game with dwarf or knight.

I used to love the game back in the day but calling it a simulator is too much.

It has not aged gracefully and is imbalanced as hell.

I still can't believe that a normal person could finish the game with dwarf or knight.

Has not "aged gracefully" ?! :banghead:

FFS, tell me a game which makes use of Fluid Dynamics!

In all these years, I've still haven't seen any game with such physics, including blood spurting & water dynamics. The lighting effects of real-time shadows are still way better than most games out there. Let's not forget water reflections, smoke, particle system, etc...

The combat keeps you always focused, even against common foes. Unbalanced? My ass! You should weigh your options, stay aware of your surroundings and choose how to react. A simple orc can easily behead you. This alone makes the game worthy of being one of the most balanced games ever.

Add various directional attacks, evasive maneuvers, combos, unique weapon-related attacks, EVERYTHING is controlled by the player with the unique combat system. Still the best sword simulator to date.

Your lack of respect is insulting!

I wouldn't really call the game good on the strength of it's tech as it didn't do anything better than Half-Life or even Quake.

And the combat system wasn't well designed (balance included) since Devil May Cry completely blew it out of the water.

It is however an very interesting attempt to create a PC hack&slash (before Diablo 2 would claim that title).

You just won't see regular enemies killing each other in other games of this genre.

Guest Slinky

The crap is going on here.

Severance is like a arnold schwarzenegger movie, no where near winning oscars but fun as hell. I have never ever liked ADD games like devil may cry games or such, but the sheer brutality of severance makes it one of my favorite games ever.

And I dont know do I qualify as a "normal" person, but I have finished Severance as a knight two times with ease.

I regretted I did. Consider yourself warned.

Why are they charging 10$ for it? Its a bargain bin game here - I bought it for 5$ tops.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.