What are you playing now?

Company of Heroes (duh). Mainly the Modern Combat and Eastern Front mods (both are great).

Tried the Kingdoms of Amalur demo and found it to be meh. Reminded me of Rift.

That's it. Am waiting for Diablo 3 TBH.

sonsofgygax.JPG

i've been playing diablo 2 all week. that game has still got the goods.

i think im going to play legend of grimrock though, it looks like a fun way to spend a week or two.

also: anyone else interested in Fez? a quality platformer is SO rare these days, i feel obligated to check it out.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'm still dabbling a bit on SW:TOR, and slipping in a mission here and there on a second ME3 playthrough.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

After an hour and a half of mapping dungeons I can give a preliminary opinion on Legend of Grimrock. I'm playing on hard in old school mode (without automap).

Food and torches are two things that are needed constantly but they are plentiful enough for this not to be a problem. You'd have to spend hours doing nothing to run out of them, and I can't see that happening.

The graphical assets of the game are modest, but they work and the overall atmosphere is spot on.

Monsters are susceptible to strafing and kiting in any room that's at least 2x2 tiles, but I have a feeling this isn't necessarily going to be enough later when there are more of them.

This is a game to play strictly for its gameplay, which has been polished up without being dumbed down and its a very enjoyable combination of fun and challenge at the same time. Its exactly what it claims to be, what the developers claim of it, no more, no less.

Recommended.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Still in the very start of Grimrock but so far I'd agree with Drowsy's assessments.

If this type of game never appealed in the first place, this one probably won't change your mind. But it's fun so far. The movement speed feels a little too fast & jerky at first, when used to the way games are today, but it's something you get used to.

Food bar is slow to go down and a piece of food fills it up pretty well, see no issue with that either, other than remembering to check now and then.

Word of caution: if you generally like to run with vsync off (as I do), make sure to turn it on for this game. If you have it off it causes the GPU to run very hot almost instantly. Mine was reaching mid-90's. First time I've ever had a game do that to me to that extent w/vsync off. :lol: Skyrim would occasionally very slowly heat up if I just sat in a high fps place doing nothing for long minutes, but since I never sat around doing nothing very often it wasn't a big deal.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I suck at real-time backing up and strafing with tile-based 90degree angle movement turns in narrow 1tile hallways. Because of this, clusters of 4-5 enemies wipe the floor with me on Normal. :lol: Everything else is manageable, even fairly easy. But more than two and I just die. I've been able to win eventually after several reloads etc. but phew...I'm not even on lvl 4 yet.

Maybe I'll try Easy. Or do what everyone seems to be doing - skipping areas and going back later. I hate doing that tho....

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I was pretty upset that the Giants traded me to the Nationals in my game of MLB The Show. But then I really started to tear it up on the AAA team Syracuse Chiefs, and the Nats have enough holes that I may get called up the the majors a lot earlier. I just started my second season and I'm batting .330 with a few taken out of the yard.

I've purchased I Am Alive for my PS3. I was intrigued by the general concept of survival in post-apocalypse America but unfortunately the game does not live up to the premise. It's really poor imho and it hasn't anything to do with The road by Cormac McCarthy (I guess that all the reviewers who have hinted at that book have never read it).

I suck at real-time backing up and strafing with tile-based 90degree angle movement turns in narrow 1tile hallways. Because of this, clusters of 4-5 enemies wipe the floor with me on Normal. :lol: Everything else is manageable, even fairly easy. But more than two and I just die. I've been able to win eventually after several reloads etc. but phew...I'm not even on lvl 4 yet.

Maybe I'll try Easy. Or do what everyone seems to be doing - skipping areas and going back later. I hate doing that tho....

I'm on level 2 and playing on hard. Still don't have any problems with the combat, but paying attention and dodging is mandatory. Enemy attack speeds are so quick you should never stand and wait for them to hit. Never fight more than one enemy at the same time. Multiple enemies sharing the same space are great target for fire burst and the like since it hits all of them.

Never fight more than one enemy at the same time. Multiple enemies sharing the same space are great target for fire burst and the like since it hits all of them.

That's rather difficult in a few situations I've encountered, starting towards the end of lvl2 actually. (edit-or was that the start of lvl3...can't remember. Anyway...) And I hear it gets worse.

I have only one mage and all he can do right now is the original lvl 2 fire ball, is that fireburst? Anyway, the controls are just too rapid/sensitive for me. I press a key to turn L and I end up turning almost full circle instead.

Movement was better/smoother w/vsync off, too, but I can't turn it off. :(

Edited by LadyCrimson

Never fight more than one enemy at the same time. Multiple enemies sharing the same space are great target for fire burst and the like since it hits all of them.

That's rather difficult in a few situations I've encountered, starting towards the end of lvl2 actually. (edit-or was that the start of lvl3...can't remember. Anyway...) And I hear it gets worse.

I have only one mage and all he can do right now is the original lvl 2 fire ball, is that fireburst? Anyway, the controls are just too rapid/sensitive for me. I press a key to turn L and I end up turning almost full circle instead.

Movement was better/smoother w/vsync off, too, but I can't turn it off. :(

Yes, that's fireburst.

Strange, I have v sync on and movement is fine. As long as I don't panic that is.

Try to plan your encounters, bait enemies, etc. Any room that's at least 2x2 lets you beat them without damage.

But it is quite frantic. TES games seem slow by comparison.

So far I've only had problems with those poison spitting fungi when facing them down long corridors. They also move really fast.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

Even more Tales of Graces f. I'm no longer controlling the main character. I'm controlling one of the more annoying characters because she's lightning quick and fun as hell to play as.

I'm also playing Legend of Mana. This game still looks amazing despite being a PS1 title. I've completed 17/67 adventures so far. Completing all 67 adventures in one playthrough is very unlikely, but I think I'll manage to do them all thanks to a spoiler free guide that tells me in wich order to do the quests. It has no combat tips or nay tips on treasures, etc.

Played an hour of Grimrock and really liked it, I only stopped because my meal was overcooking in the oven, I got the juddery movement thing with vsync on but there's a triple buffer option if you keep clicking the option, plays smooth now :thumbsup:

Strange, I have v sync on and movement is fine. As long as I don't panic that is.

I think the vsync is causing some bad input lag or something, for me...probably why I end up turning in circles when that's not what I think I've done in terms of pressing keys. Someone on the gog forums mentioned they have it too....I have triple buffering on but maybe I'll turn it off and see if it changes anything. Frantic I can get used to/have dealt with before - input lag is harder. :lol:

And yeah, those poison spitter things were a pain at first encounter. My mage couldn't even cast a spell then. lol

Nearing the end of my Kingdoms of Amalur play through. I'm realizing why it's a decent, mostly fun game, but not going to be one of my favorites or one that I'll likely ever play a second time: the characters are bland. There's not a single NPC, whether it be someone who aids you, someone you just chat with, or even the villain, that is memorable. No depth to any of them.

KoA is one of those games that could have been great with a lot of fleshing out of the characters. Instead, it's been a fun romp with good combat, and light story elements that needed more exploration for them to become truly interesting.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

KoA is one of those games that could have been great with a lot of fleshing out of the characters. Instead, it's been a fun romp with good combat, and light story elements that needed more exploration for them to become truly interesting.

They should have hired some big time writer to create memorable characters!

Oops...

Forza 3. Shift 2 was free on PSN+ but i didn't really like it, so i started forza on xbox instead. Much better.

I liked Gran Turismo meself.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Turning off triple buffering seemed to improve it somewhat. Still not as good as w/out vsync but a bit better.

Decided to start over anyway...the original party I created was the suck since I had no idea what I was doing re:skills, they were getting too far behind. Amazing how blazingly fast the first couple levels go by when you've already done them once. ;)

They should have hired some big time writer to create memorable characters!

Oops...

I think Salvatore spent so much of his time coming up with the world and races that he forgot to add depth to any of the individual characters in said world.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)