Wasteland 2 Kickstarter

C2B

yeah, as we noted above, fot gambling were busted... particularly before the patch.  betehesda got gambling right by dropping it. too bad they made it so you could approach maxing all skills in a single playthrough. oh well, the developer giveth and the developer taketh away.  

regardless, this is a wasteland 2 thread. to get back on-track we will note that like spider, we would be looking forward to something along the lines o' fot... but w/o all the horrible fallout baggage that fot gave us. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 1 month later...

So about that w2 novella. I was really annoyed when I found out I couldn't get it for free because what I donated wasn't enough. Here's why. 

It's really fking stupid to limit the number of people who can get it. The more we get to read about the w2 universe, the more they get excited, talk to other people and spread the word. Maybe some people who haven't donated would read the novella (through recommendation by a friend) and then decide to get the game as well.

And also the more people know about the universe, the "bigger" it is. If the author expands the universe, but doesn't let anyone read his novella, then it's as if it never got published, and so the w2 world remains unchanged. In this situation, they released it to such a few people, that you can basically say that the world didn't get expanded. It's stupid, Brian Fargo, admit it.

So anyway, I was really pissed off by this. I went on smashwords (it's the site where they sell the novella) and downloaded for free the first 20% of the book. And after reading the first 20%, I couldn't help but buy the rest. Now I'm even more pissed, because I didn't want to spend 8$ on a short story. I'm getting a game for $15, which is a collective work of a team of developers who it took 2 years to make. And there I am paying half that price for 40 pages, which is much much less work, it's about 2-3 weeks' work of a single person. This whole situation is just so unbelievably wrong.

Edited by Bester
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

So about that w2 novella. I was really annoyed when I found out I couldn't get it for free because what I donated wasn't enough. Here's why. 

It's really fking stupid to limit the number of people who can get it. The more we get to read about the w2 universe, the more they get excited, talk to other people and spread the word. Maybe some people who haven't donated would read the novella (through recommendation by a friend) and then decide to get the game as well.

And also the more people know about the universe, the "bigger" it is. If the author expands the universe, but doesn't let anyone read his novella, then it's as if it never got published, and so w2 world remains unchanged. In this situation, they released it to such a few people, that you can basically say that the world didn't get expanded. It's stupid, Brian Fargo, admit it.

So anyway, I was really pissed off by this. I went on smashwords (it's the site where they sell the novella) and downloaded for free the first 20% of the book. And after reading the first 20%, I couldn't help but buy the rest. Now I'm even more pissed, because I didn't want to spend 8$ on a short story. I'm getting a game for $15, which is a collective work of a team of developers who it took 2 years to make. And there I am paying half that price for 40 pages, which is much much less work, it's about a 2-3 weeks work of a single person. This whole situation is just so unbelievably wrong.

Nope, sorry, your opinion does not equal fact.

Having a limited number of stuff in a tier is actually good because it promotes that tier selling out.

The balance is somewhere in between. Generally that kind withholding that kind of thing (digital extras) can get a developer money for no additional fulfilment cost, which is great in that it's theoretically 100% going into development costs of the game.

I think the point here though is that a novella might serve as effectively free advertising for the property, and so there actually is a rational business case for maximising its distribution. Maybe even publishing it free on their website. But that's a bridge long since crossed.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I guess I just can't get used to the idea of paying for books. Libraries give you much better books for free, and yet here I actually payed a disproportionate amount of money for a digital version of a short story. It doesn't sit well with me.

Edited by Bester
  • Like 2
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

• 2 weeks later...

3 more months until content lockdown, not release or anything like that (though I suppose if you're playing the beta that might be good).

From there it's polish. There won't be any manufacturing/retail angle, though, and that will keep roughly a month of time off the eventual release.

I could see it being 4-6 months, depending on polish (i.e. 1-3 months after content lockdown) of the alpha.

• Like 2

Many good changes with the latest update, imo. Also I didn't noticed any serious quest bugs so far, unlike the initial release, which was like impossible to play.

I also like the changes to the graphics and map scenery. Though, most of the locations still feel a lot like linear outdoor dungeons. I am sure the same will be the case for Damonta when it gets released.

Though, I probably shouldn't play the game yet, because with every big update one probably needs to start a new game and so far I am not too much a fan of the beginning. It could annoy me a lot to go through it over and over again.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Well for me the current game is unplayable. It just crashes as soon as I am done with character creation and start the game with the first speech...

First version was playable with the exception of some crashes on very large areas, like the Highpool, or that town to the north. Now I can't even start the game...

Well for me the current game is unplayable. It just crashes as soon as I am done with character creation and start the game with the first speech...

First version was playable with the exception of some crashes on very large areas, like the Highpool, or that town to the north. Now I can't even start the game...

Welcome to game development!  And I mean that with a heavy dose of empathy.  It's hella frustrating for developers too.

Edited by alanschu
  • Like 2

Welcome to game development!  And I mean that with a heavy dose of empathy.  It's hella frustrating for developers too.

I can only hope, that by the time of the final release I will be able to enjoy the game :)

Edited by Darkpriest

I am very tempted to drop the extra $10 and get in on the game with the new updates.  At the same time, I have more than enough stuff to play as it is.  Must be strong, must not extend backlog any further, must hold out until actual release.

/starts to reach for wallet

Noooooo!

//slaps own hand

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I am very tempted to drop the extra $10 and get in on the game with the new updates.  At the same time, I have more than enough stuff to play as it is.  Must be strong, must not extend backlog any further, must hold out until actual release.

/starts to reach for wallet

Noooooo!

//slaps own hand

:lol: Don't be weak Keyrock, imagine how much fun you'll have once the game is released if you only play it then

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, so far it's only about the beginning area in Arizona anyway. It's unlikely that they will release more than that in the beta.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

• 2 weeks later...

If you want you can mail us at support@inxile.net and we can look into the issue. We might be able to figure out what's wrong to either a) suggest a fix or b) work on the problem to fix it on our end.

We'd need the following files from you: dxdiag report, any crash logs that were generated and output_log.txt

output_log.txt is in the Steam install folder; Wasteland 2\Build\WL2_Data folder (it is an output log of all errors)
Generated dxdiag from in Windows\System32 or by going to Run -> dxdiag. Save all info and send us the resulting file.
  • Like 1

inXile line producer

If you want you can mail us at support@inxile.net and we can look into the issue. We might be able to figure out what's wrong to either a) suggest a fix or b) work on the problem to fix it on our end.

We'd need the following files from you: dxdiag report, any crash logs that were generated and output_log.txt

output_log.txt is in the Steam install folder; Wasteland 2\Build\WL2_Data folder (it is an output log of all errors)
Generated dxdiag from in Windows\System32 or by going to Run -> dxdiag. Save all info and send us the resulting file.

I've sent both files just now. If you'd like, I can PM them to you as well.

• 2 months later...