Wasteland 2 Kickstarter

C2B

I don't like EA and I only have 1 game on Origin and it doesn't really cause me any problems. Steam, on the other hand, I have many more games and I'm just becoming less of a fan as some games wont even run, endless downloads that come with the online games - uninstalled TF2 and never am reinstalling it, added features such as "cloud" which I don't like, etc. I don't think it's a bad thing if EA wants to provide competition with Origin as long as it's user friendly.

Um, you don't like the Steam cloud? Do you even comprehend what it does, Blodhemn? I highly doubt it.

The Steam cloud is an optional feature games can use to store your save games onto so that things like hard drive failure or switching to a different computer to play the game don't mean you have to start the game from scratch!

Steam Cloud is even more beautiful when you realise that it means you can play your game from where you left off across DIFFERENT operating systems.

Hate on it if you must, but voicing such a ridiculous opinion just devalues the rest of your post. I highly doubt Steam Cloud is intrusive to your Steam experience, given that you, personally, don't interact with it in any way - it's a passive service.

You had a valid point with Steam annoyingly constantly trying to auto-update all games, and you ruined it with your throwaway line about the Steam Cloud. Your pointless whining becomes even sillier given that you can turn off the Steam Cloud easily in Steam settings. Now, I personally just prevent the autoupdate annoyance by going into offline mode, or pausing the game's update, or going to the game's settings and changing update frequency to 'manual' (and thus it won't ever update again until I tell it to - you could have done this with TF2). It would be nice to have a feature in Steam to set all games to update manually by default, that's for sure.

As for alternatives to Steam - anybody who complains about Steam's monopoly with a straight face and then suggests EA's Origin as a good alternative is a smegging hypocrite. EA's Origin is the LAST thing you should be recommending over Steam if your concern is healthy competition. How about suggesting some real alternatives that actually will inspire healthy competition instead? Instead recommend that people use Good Old Games and Desura - two excellent digital game stores don't use DRM and don't see the customer as purely $ signs. Beyond that, you've got Direct2Drive, Impulse, and GamersGate.

Green Man Gaming is also an interesting digital game store because it allows you to 'sell' back your purchased games once you're finished with them for store credit to buy new games with.

Not everyone has the same gaming habits. If I wanted to play a saved game on another system I can think of a thousand other methods to get that saved game over as opposed to an automated system that can overwrite progress. I'm just not a fan of automated stuff, and yeah it's now turned off. Also am not a fan of having your entire account banned just because you had to change the Exe to actually get a steam game to run. I know you'll reply with "you don't own your steam games" but I don't care - banning someone because they're trying to make a legit bought game playable sounds like something out of EA's playbook. Which is one of the reasons why Valve seems more closely related to EA than to the other digital distrubitors - they're so big that they don't care about customers because there's another customer in line that's going to replace them.

I can definitely see the benefits of the Steam cloud but am very much glad it's optional - I'm not so cynical as to automatically assume it's there for nefarious intentions, but I can also see how it could potentially be abused by some ne'er-do-well (whether inhouse or external) potentially causing some sort of data privacy issue. After all, there's no guarantee over how much info could potentially be stored in what's nominally a saved game file when we're possibly talking about any arbitrary number of Steam games.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Also am not a fan of having your entire account banned just because you had to change the Exe to actually get a steam game to run.

My initial response was overly confrontational - sorry about that.

I have heard about accounts being banned for modifying game files from a few different sources and it concerns me, too. Do we have any actual proof it happens, though?

I know you'll reply with "you don't own your steam games"

No, I think more people should remind Valve that as paying customers we should be entitled to as many rights as possible for the games we've legitimately purchased. I don't buy that "you don't own your Steam games" bull****. If Valve wants our custom, they'll damn well act like we do own our games, legal status be damned.

banning someone because they're trying to make a legit bought game playable sounds like something out of EA's playbook. Which is one of the reasons why Valve seems more closely related to EA than to the other digital distrubitors - they're so big that they don't care about customers because there's another customer in line that's going to replace them.

This is where I take issue. How much evidence do we have of Valve acting like this? I've always seen Valve act like they're acutely aware of the concept that every single customer counts. I do know that Valve bans people for cheating in multiplayer games. Not a good practice, even if they are tossers. It would be better to just disable the multiplayer part of the game instead.

wow, I guess every thread on this forum is a Steam thread nowadays

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I have heard about accounts being banned for modifying game files from a few different sources and it concerns me, too. Do we have any actual proof it happens, though?

Not from me. I mentioned the exe thing in another thread, or possibly earlier in this same one, and I was warned by two posters who seemed to know what they're talking about that I was risking my whole account and library of games. I get the idea that the customer service is too swamped for them to really distinguish between malicious practices and non, so they probably just make it easier on themselves and make broader bans.

• 3 weeks later...

just finished the vision document.

this is the most excited I have been for a video game since planescape torment.

it's like the developers read my mind about all the problems with crpg's since the death of black isle and are going to try and bring traditional classic crpg style games back.

i'm so happy.

*single tear*

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Compare this 10 page pdf of recycled info to Torment's visiondoc.

That's not an entirly fair comparison.

Also how is this even the same situation? We know already a lot of stuff about W2 because it's funded though *us*.

*shrug* sounds really cool, but we already knew Brian Fargo's vision in this sense. What remains is the delivery.

It is nice to produce this for everyone, all contributors and all potential buyers, though.

I just want to see some screenies

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

meh, if I had wanted that kind of sights, I'd have logged into Day Z

Walsingham said:

I just want to see some screenies

the-last-of-us-screenshots-1.jpg

is it a sidescroller?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

According to wikipedia he has notable P&P credits. As well as Fallout 2 and Planescape: Torment for computer games.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."