Wasteland 2 Kickstarter

C2B

I was going to kick in $30 but then I scrolled down and saw LARGE BOX. I LOVE large boxes, the bigger the better. The day games transitioned from large boxes to laughably feeble barely-larger-than-DVD-case boxes was the most tragic day in human civilisation.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

It's got over $611,000 now and it came up just friggin' yesterday. That's amazing.

@Tigranes

How can some of the rewards not excite you? I mean, you may not be able to obtain them, but... a DAMN PARTY WITH BRIAN FARGO (for the cheap price of only $10,000!! Wait a minute...) is something that excites the hell outta me. Without him, no Fallout would've existed, and Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc. probably wouldn't have existed (or perhaps not in the same form as they do now) without him.

Yeah, I'm a fanboy...

I suspect the issue is that Obsidian need something with more pizazz than simply MCA working on a text heavy RPG, Double Fine sold me their Kickstart with the prospect of two adventure game legends of my childhood working together again, inXile sold it because of Fargo's heritage and the connection between Wasteland and Fallout.

Obsidian will get my money regardless but for epic megabucks I think they probably do need a bigger hook...I'm sure they're working on it.

I suspect the issue is that Obsidian need something with more pizazz than simply MCA working on a text heavy RPG, Double Fine sold me their Kickstart with the prospect of two adventure game legends of my childhood working together again, inXile sold it because of Fargo's heritage and the connection between Wasteland and Fallout.

Obsidian will get my money regardless but for epic megabucks I think they probably do need a bigger hook...I'm sure they're working on it.

I'm pretty sure more people are on the MCA/Tim Cain train than Fargo (Hell, I really think they could make more than the Double Fine Kickstarter looking at forums). And they could also capitalize not only on Fallout but Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale and so on. I really doubt thats an issue.

• Like 1

The important thing about this Kickstarter is to show that people are still willing to PAY for an oldschool turn- and party-based CRPG. So far, things are looking good. :)

I've just upped my pledge to $250+shipping: a signed collector's edition, yay!

I'm having second thoughts about this.

When you look at inXile offerings, the fact of the matter is that they haven't made a good game for over a decade - or in other words, since the company was created.

Putting nostalgia aside, what real guarantee do we have that this is going to be any better?

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Nothing is ever guaranteed. What I find interesting is that Wasteland seems to be a game that few here played and even fewer finished. Also, and correct me if Im wrong, it seems to be nothing more than a redo of the already successful Fallout. So whats the point? Are people really clamoring for someone to make a game resembling the 90's over a subject thats already been done better and more recently? Obviously the answer is "yes" but I dont get it.

I'd think it's more about the prospect of having a modern iteration of an oldschool style of game in general, which aren't really made anymore -- not so much to just get a Fallout clone (though, admittedly that's what some people expect). At least that's my personal stance.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Actually I'm hoping Wasteland 2 is going to be a somewhat different take on the whole post apocalyptic thing, I could never really get into the Fallout universe.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Perhaps your brain is too addled to discuss this? Didnt Wasteland already morph into Fallout?

Fallout may have been born from what wanted to be a Wasteland 2, but it's still a very different take on a post-apocalyptic universe. Wasteland was much more influenced by the 80s and had far crazier and outland-ish sensibilities, even more than Fallout 2. It also was (and will be) a party-based title, which instantly makes it a much different beast gameplay-wise from Fallout. Moreover, Fallout changed when Bethesda bought the license, its design shifted towards reflex-based action. Whether you like it or not, it's different, and so it's not even that weird that people would be willing to fund something that has all the semblance to be closer to the originals than Fallout 3/New Vegas.

Fallout may have been born from what wanted to be a Wasteland 2, but it's still a very different take on a post-apocalyptic universe.

"The game is set in the middle of the 21st century, following a nuclear war between the United States and the Soviet Union. Parts of Earth have been turned into a "wasteland" where survival is the paramount objective."

"Characters in Wasteland consequently have various statistics (strength, intelligence and luck among others) that allow them to use different skills and weapons. Experience is gained through battle and through use of skills. The game would generally let players advance with a variety of tactics: to get through a locked gate, a player could use his Picklock skill, his Climb skill, or his Strength attribute; or he could force the gate with a crowbar - or a LAW rocket."

Ah, I see where youre coming from, they changed the Soviet Union to China. :p

Wasteland was much more influenced by the 80s and had far crazier and outland-ish sensibilities, even more than Fallout 2. It also was (and will be) a party-based title, which instantly makes it a much different beast gameplay-wise from Fallout.

I agree the party base does change things.

Moreover, Fallout changed when Bethesda bought the license, its design shifted towards reflex-based action. Whether you like it or not, it's different, and so it's not even that weird that people would be willing to fund something that has all the semblance to be closer to the originals than Fallout 3/New Vegas.

I wasnt referring to Bethesda's Fallout remake but the Interplay Fallout, which is what Wastland became:

" Interplay has described its game Fallout as the spiritual successor to Wasteland (as evidenced by the similar setting and that an NPC in Fallout 2 frequently recites combat messages from Wasteland).

I'm pretty sure more people are on the MCA/Tim Cain train than Fargo (Hell, I really think they could make more than the Double Fine Kickstarter looking at forums). And they could also capitalize not only on Fallout but Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale and so on. I really doubt thats an issue.

I'm not saying that MCA and Tim Cain wouldn't have huge pulling power, it's just that I don't think they could pull off a Double Fine...asking for money with absolutely no concept outlined, if Fargo didn't have the Wasteland name and a clear goal I really doubt they'd have gotten this much support.

Turn-based, party-based tactical goodness! Woohoo!

Even if the game turns out to be ****e not meet the standards of us RPG-connaisseurs, the way the kickstarter fund is going, there certainly seem to be enough people around willing to fund a turn&party based RPG. Which might mean a scroll of resurrection will be used on a sadly neglected but awesome genre. I don't think the game will be poor though. Looking forward to it!

Edited by Toast

I love when people ignore the things I say just to be extra-rude! It makes for a very good discussion!

EDIT: On the Wasteland 2 forums there's a pretty good thread that discusses the differences between the identities of the two franchises.

Apparently that list should include you. Did you even read the thread you linked? Its a six page Snipe Hunt that contains 1 difference between the two franchises (brighter colors!). Everyone else is worried it sounds just like Fallout. I can see youre getting emotional about this so Ill let it drop and just look it up myself.