The glorious USA

Humodour

I was wondering about the legality of forcefully removing someone in the middle of the night from their home. notwithstanding parental consent . Can that be really be legal.

Nevermind what kind of 'boot camp' organisation it is, that's kinda beside the point.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

We have an entire branch of the government called Child Protective Services, so if there is some real abuse happening then that is the solution. In most states it's actually illegal to simply pull your child out of school.

Here's a link to the school, by the way : http://www.horizonacademy.us/index.html

It doesn't actually look like hell on earth, it's an accredited school. Boohoo, the kid had to sit through some bible study and prayer time. It didn't work, so it's hardly a proper brainwashing camp.

You sure have a hard on about the US, Krezack. This is bad parenting, plain and simple, and that happens in every country. I've seen parents do a lot worse to their kids, I've had to call CPS a few times myself.

I did a little more digging, you can't even get into that school unless you've been thrown out of a public school.

Still, I'd gladly support a bill that allowed more oversight in facilities like this, there is always going to be a risk of abuse, just like juvenile facilities. It's a good topic, too bad Krezack had to use it for another anti-US soapbox moment.

It didn't work, so it's hardly a proper brainwashing camp.

Sensors detect faulty logic, captain!

People survived Buchenwald, so it wasn't really a proper "extermination" camp, either, right? You're a teacher, so you don't need me to tell you how impressionable kids are -Jesuits were notorious for their exploitation of this- which makes any degree of indoctrination revolting. But that's a different story.

Can't help but think that the Reddit guy likely doesn't have a leg to stand on, or he would actually be doing something about it - or living off reparations.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I did a little more digging, you can't even get into that school unless you've been thrown out of a public school.

Still, I'd gladly support a bill that allowed more oversight in facilities like this, there is always going to be a risk of abuse, just like juvenile facilities. It's a good topic, too bad Krezack had to use it for another anti-US soapbox moment.

So... basically he was sent to a boarding school for screw ups and was trying to say it was because he was an atheist only?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the guy is using that experaince mixed with things he's heard to provide a "real" experiance. One of the issues is that there's no way to verify what was going on, and then in the comments another guy started digging into the "technicals" of it, and honeslty, it does sound like he's mixing a boarding school, with prison info. The one in the Comments (Academy at Ivy Ridge) has had warning signs flaring for a while it seems (been in constanty legal issuse for a decade), but *shrugs*.

I mean it's not like they're the Aussie Church of Scientology that has their lesser liked members breaking concrete for 16 hours a day with a single 8 hr sleep period where they cant talk. o:)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

We have an entire branch of the government called Child Protective Services, so if there is some real abuse happening then that is the solution. In most states it's actually illegal to simply pull your child out of school.

Here's a link to the school, by the way : http://www.horizonac...y.us/index.html

It doesn't actually look like hell on earth, it's an accredited school. Boohoo, the kid had to sit through some bible study and prayer time. It didn't work, so it's hardly a proper brainwashing camp.

You sure have a hard on about the US, Krezack. This is bad parenting, plain and simple, and that happens in every country. I've seen parents do a lot worse to their kids, I've had to call CPS a few times myself.

Except for the other guy in the comment thread who went through worse and went to a completely different school from which I can find confirmation of a sort.

http://en.wikipedia....my_at_Ivy_Ridge

On December 1, 2006, the New York State Department of Education denied Ivy Ridge's application for authorization to issue high school diplomas. The department's letter to Ivy Ridge stated that the institution had been determined to be principally a behavior modification program, not a school.[9]

So even if the original poster is lying (which you can't confirm, so I feel accusing him of being some sort of whiny guy who had to do bible study is a little presumptuous) there is at least confirmation that behaviour modification programs masquarading as schools DO exist which, regardless of what they actually do there, is cause for extreme concern despite your misgivings about that poster. The poster who claims to have gone to this confirmed "behavior modification" school claims things such as:

"The pictures/activities are bull****. They have those recreational areas, but they are never used because it poses a greater run risk." -- "Communication is completely restricted and censored with your parents. You are allowed to write letters but they read through everything that comes in and out." -- "there is sensory deprivation room for severe offenders. You get to sit there in the dark in a kneeling pose and head against the wall." -- "The staff use aliases. This is to prevent retribution outside of the school."

Of course, this school has been shut down. But apparently, the people ran this school are now running a similar academy in the Dominican Republic where American teenagers are sent outside US jurisdiction. I found a website containing "survivor stories" from these programs at: http://nhym-alumni.org/

A documentary was made on this program. http://www.indiegogo...pped-For-Christ It seems to confirm, among others, the "kidnapping" charge.

Edited by TrueNeutral

It didn't work, so it's hardly a proper brainwashing camp.

Sensors detect faulty logic, captain!

People survived Buchenwald, so it wasn't really a proper "extermination" camp, either, right? You're a teacher, so you don't need me to tell you how impressionable kids are -Jesuits were notorious for their exploitation of this- which makes any degree of indoctrination revolting. But that's a different story.

Can't help but think that the Reddit guy likely doesn't have a leg to stand on, or he would actually be doing something about it - or living off reparations.

Were you posting from a rollercoaster? Straight in with Buchenwald? Sheesh...

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

As I said, oversight is extremely important here, and it is being implemented on many levels already. The Ivy Ridge place, where we heard more specific details about, was facing major fines, loss of accreditation, and ended up shutting down. Now they have moved to the Dominican Republic, but hopefully that will be quashed as well. It's terrible stuff, really, which is why it bothers me that Krezack uses this topic to take more cheap shots at my country.

Should we change the thread title to The Glorious Dominican Republic now?

I had to sit through study and prayer, and my time away from school was strictly limited and monitored. My parents paid a small bloody fortune for the privilege!

Of course plenty of public school boys claim their school days were awful. I simply direct them to my mate who went to state school in Luton. I'll take a session in chapel sitting quietly and thinking over a session of being pelted with sharpened coins for answering a question in class.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I had to sit through study and prayer, and my time away from school was strictly limited and monitored. My parents paid a small bloody fortune for the privilege!

Of course plenty of public school boys claim their school days were awful. I simply direct them to my mate who went to state school in Luton. I'll take a session in chapel sitting quietly and thinking over a session of being pelted with sharpened coins for answering a question in class.

You scare me, dude..

J.

If they really want to convert people to Christianity they should really just force them to read r/Atheism for extended periods of time.

• Like 1

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

You scare me, dude..

J.

...And that's another reason why they paid for the school.

-Elwood Blues

Oldboy network credentials like private schooling are still important then. I imagine a name brand university would be much more important to completing the image, but horror stories from an all boy college probably doesn't hurt either. Jolly good man, hurrahh etc.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

It's because you get riled up so easily. He could have gone ranting on for hours about some other country and no one would have even noticed. It's a bit like the Muslims and Mohammed.
  • Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

So it is, in most things except in name a juvenile detention facility?

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

So it is, in most things except in name a juvenile detention facility?

Except it is one your parents choose to send you too, rather than court ordered. Plus you don't seem to need any type of criminal record, although I think you may have needed to be thrown out of a regular school to qualify.

And how hard is it to get thrown out of regular schools (and what are the most common reasons?)?

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

And how hard is it to get thrown out of regular schools (and what are the most common reasons?)?

Pooping on the teacher's desk

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Oldboy network credentials like private schooling are still important then. I imagine a name brand university would be much more important to completing the image, but horror stories from an all boy college probably doesn't hurt either. Jolly good man, hurrahh etc.

My social slaloming of the last few years has given me much pause for thought on this topic. I don't think it's the public school thing that helps per se. I think it's just having some pigeon hole for people to put you in, and a pre-agreed set of rules for interacting. Provided the other people know those rules, they find it easier and more comfortable.

-Elwood Blues