Obsidian at PAX EAST

C2B

"It's A Trap? Transgender Issues In Gaming"

Whether it's Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, Resident Evil or Final Fantasy, video games have a long history of transgender characters. You'll find no shortage of transgender people working in the industry too. Join a panel of game designers, writers, and fans to learn about some of the most interesting characters in gaming, and the impressive lineage of transgender game makers. We'll also discuss the impact of sex and gender in blockbuster games that let players choose their sex.

Panelists include:

Edited by C2B

DLCs: Continuing the Story

Manticore Theatre

Friday 7:30pm - 8:30pm

Downloadable content is an opportunity to continue the experience of the core game and equally important, continue the narrative. What are the challenges and the rewards? Join Obsidian's Creative Director, Chris Avellone, as he discusses the design methodology and narrative constraints for DLC creation, citing examples from Fallout: New Vegas, and other titles in the industry.

Panelists include: Chris Avellone [Creative Director, Obsidian Entertainment]

Edit:

Doing it the right way first

Naga Theatre

Friday 1:00pm - 2:00pm

So you think you have the talent and skill to be a game developer but you don't know where to start or keep getting rejection letters? Come and talk to the people that are responsible for the gates to the studios. Learn how to prepare yourself with tips, tools and straight advice from the game industries top Recruiters and Hiring Managers.

Panelists include: Jim Rivers [Hiring Manager, Obsidian Entertainment], Lindsey McQueeney [Manager of Talent Acquisition, Big Huge Games/38 Studios LLC.], Dino McGraw [Global Staffing Manager, Foundation 9 Entertainment]

Edit2:

So You Want to Get into the Game Industry?

Wyvern Theatre

Friday 4:30pm - 5:30pm

So you want to get into the gaming industry? There are job opportunities not just in design, programming, and art - but for testers, marketing and PR, trade show coordinators, community managers, office managers, and more. Learn what skills are needed, what tasks are involved and how to apply. Hosted by some of the finest (or well, experienced) minds in the industry, they'll give suggestions and answer whatever questions you throw at them.

Panelists include: Sue Bohle [The Bohle Group], Lincoln Davis [NCSoft], Susan Arendt [Themis Media], Chris Avellone [Creative Director, Obsidian], Dan Amrich [social Media Manager, Activision], AJ Glasser [inside Network]

Edit3:

Fallout: Nuka Break the series screening and Q&A

Cat Theatre

Saturday 9:00pm - 11:00pm

Watch the first season of the popular videogame themed web series Fallout: Nuka Break! We'll screen the original fan film, as well as all 6 episodes of the webseries! Afterwards, there will be a Q&A with the creators of the show!

Panelists include: Zack Finfrock [Co-Owner, Wayside Creations], Vincent Talenti [Co-Owner, Wayside Creations], Aaron Giles [Actor - Ben], Tybee Diskin [Actor - Scar], Kevin Brooks [Actor - Mayor Conners], Doug Jones [Executive Producer], Melanie Wagor [Producer], Evan Zissimopulos [Producer], Cameron Diskin [Assistant Director], Aaron Moorhead [Director of Photography], Chris Avellone [Fallout Game Designer]

Edited by C2B

Uh, has Chris ever dealt with gender/minority issues with his titles? Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for him and think he's one hell of a writer and designer, but I don't really know if I'd have invited him to the panel had I been organizing that. Then again, I don't really know if I would have wanted to organize something like that considering the gaming community's attitude at large towards these issues..

Uh, has Chris ever dealt with gender/minority issues with his titles?

Not that I know of. As for your concerns, we will have to trust Chris himself wouldn't have agreed to it if he didn't have anything sensible to say about the topic. Part of the reason I'm interested in it is exactly because neither Chris nor Obsidian have a history with those topics, so I'm curious to hear what he will say in that panel.

• 4 weeks later...

If anything, I just hope the Obsidian crew get us some good pictures of Weekes (from the Bioware panel) being booed off the stage, xD

That thing is going to be intense, I tell you. The backlash is going to be HUGE if they don't announce something that meets their fanbase's demands and expectations.

Mass Effect 3: "Life sucks, then you die."

Alpha Protocol: "Life sucks, then you change that."

If anything, I just hope the Obsidian crew get us some good pictures of Weekes (from the Bioware panel) being booed off the stage, xD

That thing is going to be intense, I tell you. The backlash is going to be HUGE if they don't announce something that meets their fanbase's demands and expectations.

I hope they are more up to date regarding mr. Weekes, his opinions and impact on the games he has worked on, than you are.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I hope they are more up to date regarding mr. Weekes, his opinions and impact on the games he has worked on, than you are.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I know that Weekes is a nice fellow and was (allegedly) one of the first ones to stand up and say the ending wasn't all that good, not to mention it wasn't done or worked on as the rest of the game was. Plus, I've heard he wrote some of the best bits of the game.

To explain myself: he's gonna get booed off stage after what they announce isn't what the fans want them to announce.

There's a reason why neither Mac or Hudson are going. Want to guess why? Everybody knows they're sending Weekes because he IS one of the most liked -if not the most- they have on their whole staff.

Oh, I'm perfectly aware that is their rationale. I'm just hoping he'll be given what he deserves (ie. shouts of "you work for ****!"). :p

That said, they're still sending Evil Chris Priestly there. ;P

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Ok, with the recent BioWare news we got, now I'm pretty sure Weekes nor Priestly are getting booed off stage.

It's just going to be one hell of a silent panel.

https://twitter.com/...397112298455041

Chris Avellone: brilliant, blunt, relatable, kind, accessible. Stayed after panel for an hour giving personal guidance to indie devs. #pax

https://twitter.com/...390061765705729

My [Transgender Gaming] panel at #paxeast was filled up! 500 people! Yes, video is coming soon. @RabidGummiBear @Player_Affinity @Thabass
Edited by funcroc