Is this game worth getting?

I'd say yes, if for no other reason that it's Obsidian's first game developed on their own engine. As such, it's their most polished work yet (i.e. I had one crash, one time and that was it as far as bugs). The game is...fun and has a fairly decent story.

It's a button-masher, which I never expected from Obsidian, but it's an intelligent button masher. You might not be thrilled with your purchase, but you certainly won't be disappointed.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

@Brayko: You can get it cheap. So, do it. The game itself is probably Obsidian's most "solid" title so far. The gameplay is remiscent of the older console BGDA games/Gauntlet. It's combat focused and the outward story is intentionally kept simple but gets actually pretty great when you dwelve into the backstory, connect and learn new things about the main npc charachters (Sadly your own party stays somewhat bland). It's ~12-15 hours long and it plays mostly the same during its entire playtime but due to the short length thankfully doesn't overstay its welcome.

Edited by C2B

If you do pick up the game and enjoy it, I would humbly recommend trying the expansion (Treasures of the Sun) as well. We learned a lot of lessons while making the main game (not so different from NWN2 to MotB, in a way). On TotS, I think we finally hit our stride in terms of area design, more open spaces, and a less linear experience overall.

Damn good game, tight, bug free, enjoyable responsive combat with an excellent story and characters. The beginning is a little dry but once past that the somewhat linear plot really does begin to drag you into the conflict. I'd recommend it wholeheartedly, the player characters available are well defined and distinctive as well; both in terms of abilities and personality.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Thanks for the replies guys. Will pick it up once I finally get some expendable cash (moving to another state is costing me a lot). I'll probably get it for the Xbox because I find that it's Obsidian games primarily that keep my Xbox from collecting dust..well, except their kickstarter project, that should be a PC only type of deal. :-)

Edited by Brayko

• 2 months later...

So I finally got around to playing it. It's great...

If not for the fact that the level scaling kinda detracted from it. Feeling weaker as you level up is level scaling done incorrectly.

Nice effort, though, very stable engine! Loading times were a breeze..

On a platform maybe.... On a computer... unless you have a super good one, then no.

I wish Obsidian will lower the toll it takes on the computer while playing this game on PC :S

You can easily play DS3 on a 4 year old computer.

@Brayko: If you are feeling weaker as you level up you may be doing something wrong. Choose your equipment carefully, Picking an item to equip that doesn't support your playing style can make things quite a bit harder. And note that, on hardcore, the Witch boss battle is a bit of a jump in difficult compared to the beginning of the game. Dodge and harnessing your character's powers is the key.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Yes, I started a new character and now I don't level grind on beginner foes which resulted in no loot drops but tougher foes so now I'm in the clear. Having fun so far, despite these minor issues and will probably even grab Treasures of the Sun.

Edited by Brayko

• 1 month later...

I too am contemplating a purchase.

Is there a dialouge system?

Yeah, a dialogue wheel similar to Mass Effect. There's not as much dialogue as other Obsidian titles because the game is shorter, but the density didn't feel awfully different to me. It's structured in a way that you can escape from pretty much any dialogue and get to killing and slashing though, and generally you either say "go on" or investigate other options. There are a few dialogue choices that modify influence with your companions or change the outcome of a quest, although gameplay-wise there's very little in the way of consequences for those choices.

In other words, it's basically an Obsidian-lite RPG with console hack'n'slash mechanics. Both of those souls aren't really executed as well as they should be so it ends up feeling like a rather mediocre game, but since it will probably be very low in price right now it probably warrants a try. Never had the chance to play co-op (if a fellow Obsidianite is interested let me know!) so I can't say much about it, though you can read plenty of feedback on these forums and elsewhere about an allegedly bad camera and lack of importing.

• 2 months later...

NWN 2: MOTB, NV, Alpha Protocol, and The Sith Lords were all exceptionally well games (in my book).

Shall I pick this one up as well? I've been known to delve into dungeon crawlers occasionally.

I am going to say it depends, if you like boss battles that are built around one shot kills then you will like this. I spent most battles hoping that I wasn't one shotted by a boss which is sad. It came down to luck. The combat system outside of the boss battles was fun but the boss battles in this game killed it for me. I would say even for the $12.00 I spent on the game I got ripped off.

If you do pick up the game and enjoy it, I would humbly recommend trying the expansion (Treasures of the Sun) as well. We learned a lot of lessons while making the main game (not so different from NWN2 to MotB, in a way). On TotS, I think we finally hit our stride in terms of area design, more open spaces, and a less linear experience overall.

I loved NWN2 hated MotB, and I loved the final expansion for NWN2 I forget what it was called but it was fun. I never finished MotB just because of the whole curse thing that was implemented. It sucked and ruined the game.

Boss battles blow in this game. I hated every single one and that wasn't fixed in the expansion.

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to say it depends, if you like boss battles that are built around one shot kills then you will like this. I spent most battles hoping that I wasn't one shotted by a boss which is sad. It came down to luck. The combat system outside of the boss battles was fun but the boss battles in this game killed it for me. I would say even for the $12.00 I spent on the game I got ripped off.

What difficulty were you playing at that the bosses were one-shot killing your character? There were certainly some tough battles, but I can't recall ever being one-shot killed by a boss.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

If you get it for under 10$ yes otherwise no, i became bored rather quickly and haven't played in a long time, a few reasons are, clunky combat, camera is wonky imo, somewhat dull characters, too little skills/abilities and too short storyline but hacking monsters is always fun though.