Mass Effect 3

Gorth

Yes, for one the whole space opera rpg. - Okay, the RPG side is fairly light compared to others, but it's a rather narrow genre.

I've found a lot of elements I both enjoyed, and was kind of meh on in both ME1 and 2. But for the most part, both games were a lot of fun. I like a game that provides more then just a streamlined "go from point A to point B, shoot things, and we'll throw some cinematics in to tell a story around it.".

So, having character development (via class and abilities you can choose), as well as dialogue options and elements within the quests that enable you to make choices that can change the results , and potentially effect how the ending turns out are definitely good points.

I have to say, I found Halo very "try once and forget", it was elementry fun, but there was no real need to engage the mind. You could enjoy the story, but hell, you could remove the gameplay, and pretty much enjoy just the videos and get the same amount of fun. I think that's an element that turns me off a lot of the "pure shooters". You pretty much don't have to think, just engage twitch reflexes.

The fact that you get drawn into the storylines of the Mass Effect universe, and have to pay attention to them to get in character and make the choices you do... Whether you want to get engaged with finding out more about your companions or not.. Finding out more about the universe and how things interrelate.. (even if there do seem small and wide plot holes).

I think ME1 set the stage, it had its flaws (the elevators alone), but it didn't take itself too seriously, and had the potential to hook you in with the idea that follow up games would be affected by what you did, or didn't do within the game.

ME2 had a lot of great character interaction, and the development of the companions was rather nifty. The central plot it was all hooked on however, was rather weak in comparison. It was more like it was there just to give you a reason for the companion elements.. But it gave you the development of your choices from the first game (some more then others), and even when it was just the case of a nodding email within the game, it added to the feel of the depth of universe you were playing in.

ME3 has the potential to gather all those strands together, and drive it home. Thus, the hopeful optmism. o O (even it cautious skepticism does balance it out)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

From the looks of it that's all. The unlock process is just getting the key. The other 10 GB will be DLC. It's about the size of ME2. Maybe they learned some better compression.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

snip

Thanks for the round up, guess I won't be bothering with ME2 or 3 in a while.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

For me the Mass Effect games were rip roaring adventures, somewhat like H. Rider Haggard translated into a rather larger theatre. Lost civilisations, exotic foreigners, the thrill of combat, alien vistas and a touch of camaraderie with Wrex and Garrus. I won't be indulging in the third as my Shepard died on the suicide mission, I wouldn't say it's important or innovative but it was an eminently satisfying diversion. A good game.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

ME1 > ME2, except the combat.

I'd say the combat overall did improve in ME2, but it wasn't an improvement on all fronts.

Firstly, the overheat system was fine and there was absolutely no compelling need to swap to an ammo system (with the added detriment of some truly hamfisted retconning and a few minor plotholes). Secondly, the global cooldown is annoying and makes your powers feel weak. Thirdly, the level design was unambiguously better in ME1 - ME2 felt linear and boring as hell, with the game needlessly divided into "shooter areas" and "non-combat" areas which really made a lot of the levels feel isolated compared to ME1.

However, the cover system was greatly improved and overall combat is a hell of a lot more fluid in ME2, so yeah as a whole I'd say it's an improvement. It could have easily been a lot better, though.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Is this game really worth of all the hype and discussion it spurs?

I mean, I played through the first and found nothing really spectacular... and reading about the second doesn't really encourage any thinking...

No game is, really.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

At a point in ME you could just hold down the fire button and not overheat.

That was a balance problem, not an issue with the mechanics themselves, which were solid.

They could have easily kept the reheat mechanics nearly untouched (except for some rebalancing of the values) and added "thermal clips" in quantities comparable to medi-gel and grenades from the first game, so that if you really needed to keep firing in a certain situation you'd have the option to cool down your weapon immediately.

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I won't be indulging in the third as my Shepard died on the suicide mission...

You wont play the last part of the trilogy due to RP reasons?

Also can't be bothered creating another sandbox for Origins to run in like Steam.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

At a point in ME you could just hold down the fire button and not overheat.

That was a balance problem, not an issue with the mechanics themselves, which were solid.

They could have easily kept the reheat mechanics nearly untouched (except for some rebalancing of the values) and added "thermal clips" in quantities comparable to medi-gel and grenades from the first game, so that if you really needed to keep firing in a certain situation you'd have the option to cool down your weapon immediately.

If you have infinite ammo, unless you have an AI that is determined to remove you from cover you can just hide until you cool down.The way things spawned in ME2 made it rewarding to move forward.

But BW's issue isn't with the mechanics its with the target audience. The shift to ME2 came about with a decision to expand their target demographic from wrpg to a more wider appeal, which they did without much thought to alienating their core audience.

For the new BW fan Action/Rpgs its where it's at and they want BW to continue with their cinematic deliveries and companion based storytelling.

So you see ME2 would had inevitably gone in that direction because BW has changed their core audience and pure RPG mechanics aren't appealing to them.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

One issue I had in ME2 was the whole.. biotics and tech powers wouldn't work against enemies with different types of Shield / Armour. So you pretty much had to shoot down the shields or whatever first.. by which point, its normally just as quick to carry on shooting them rather then try a Power to finish them off..

Suddenly I can't target Shockwaves at an enemy because he has shields.... But, if he happens to be stood next to someone without shields, I can target that person..and the Shockwave mysteriously damages and throws the shielded guy as well..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Is this game really worth of all the hype and discussion it spurs?

For some people: yes. For some people: no. Worth is the result of subjective value judgements.

It's important to realize that discussion has intrinsic worth. I come here to talk about games because I enjoy talking about games. That a group of people talk about a game a little or a great deal likely has nothing to do with the actual worth of the game. After all, I discussed Dragon Age: Origins for five years on the BioWare message board, but it wouldn't even rank in my top 10 RPGs.

Alternatively, one of my favorite games is The Longest Journey, a game that I have had all of three conversations about.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

If you have infinite ammo, unless you have an AI that is determined to remove you from cover you can just hide until you cool down.The way things spawned in ME2 made it rewarding to move forward.

And I can't stand level design based on infinite-spawning enemies forcing you to cross some invisible line to advance to the next segment. It's lazy, boring level design that does nothing but aggravate me.

And I can't stand level design based on infinite-spawning enemies forcing you to cross some invisible line to advance to the next segment. It's lazy, boring level design that does nothing but aggravate me.

Okay. There's no part of ME2 that did that, however. I think there was one planet scan mission with 188 droids. That you could end early by getting to the shuttle.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

There might have been infinite waves on those Geth flying things in that area on Tali's recruitment.

There were certainly infinite waves in the basement during Garrus' recruitment mission.

The close the door segments. Now I remember those. It was pretty sparingly used.

There were certainly infinite waves in the basement during Garrus' recruitment mission.

Pretty sure there were infinite Krogan at one point in Grunt's recruitment mission (? might have been Mordin's loyalty mission) too, though I guess there would be some justification there given the backstory. That's the only other case I'm reasonably sure of though.

Pretty sure there were infinite Krogan at one point in Grunt's recruitment mission (? might have been Mordin's loyalty mission) too, though I guess there would be some justification there given the backstory. That's the only other case I'm reasonably sure of though.

Yes, it was in grunt's recruitment. There is a section just after talking to the one krogan outside where you will fight a stupid amount of krogan. If you advance quickly you'll only get 2 or 3 extras though.