Mass Effect 3

Gorth

Feel sorry for the fighters on Earth trying to hold the front while you're doing this.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The "Vangelis vibe" was indeed what was most missing from ME2, and what I was referring to earlier. It was what separated "normal good" from the "special" in ME1.

Apart from Clint Mansell, they have a team of composers who've already worked on the franchise. Sam Hulick had co-credit for ME1 with Jack Wall and was on the composing team for ME2 (which was credited entirely to Jack Wall, who's now gone). Also coming back are the people who worked on the ME2 DLCs. I read a bunch of interviews from these guys earlier today, and they specifically mentioned that their mandate was going back to a more ME1 type of sound, as it was one of the more criticised aspects of ME2. The above-linked example sure is up to the standard of the best ME1 action tunes like Feros Battle and Eden Prime Battle.

You know guys, what most cracks me up here is that when I actually criticise an aspect of Bioware games, multiple people leap up in its defense. ;)

Edit, since I see this come up every now and then, I'll copy the official composer list from Bio social:

Clint Mansell, Golden Globe nominated Hollywood composer recognized for scoring celebrated films including Black Swan, The Wrestler and Requiem for a Dream.

Christopher Lennertz, Emmy nominated Hollywood composer known for his work on the recent movie Horrible Bosses, also composed Mass Effect 2: Overlord, Mass Effect 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker, and won the Interactive Academy Award for Medal of Honor.

Cris Velasco, known for composing the God of War series

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb_WX_Osgk4&

yeah. Don't know what to say yet.

Hmmmm..

The Normandy is equipped with a new and improved scanning pulse than can detect objects of interest. Use this to uncover war assets, artifacts, intel and fuel as you fly around a system.

New and improved? It sounds like a step down since it does less than the old one and even less than the really old one.. If it's able to find things that is added randomly.. Could it be random things popping up in ME3? The thought sounds revolting considering how little air there is around the game, but if that's the case I'll take it unless it turns out, that I find the same 'random' things in the same 'random' places on replay. Scanning for resources was necessary in ME2, because they were needed to complete research. I wonder if scanning is necessary now, because all the fuel stations has been disabled by the Reaper presence? Makes sense, I guess, I feel a dread building up, I imagine more work, have to make regular scans for fuel to scoop to cover my dwindling resources..

Be aware, however that each time the pulse is used, the chance that Reapers will enter the system to investigate is increased.

Keeping Shepard locked up sounds more and more like it was the right choice, because now that he's lose he's leading them to more systems. I wonder what the Reapers do after they have entered a new system and failed to catch the Normandy.. They just leave again or do they make the planets in the system suffer for their frustration or do they leave covert sentinels to guard it?

(Signatures: disabled) 

The Reapers chasing the Normandy on that galaxy map is hilarious. How about just vaporizing it instead?

Of course, the Normandy probably doesn't have a child on board.

Maybe Normandy actually isn't the size of several earth-sized planets?

It would have been nice to be able to use those Ship Upgrades of ME2 yourself. The Thannix gun. Having a gun turret of some kind like KotOR.. More choice, less cutscene, is always good.

And the Reapers lose because they didn't bring unlimited probes.

That might be a way to defeat them. Gather all the resources before the Reapers get them, defeat them at their own game, but first you need to find the magic Bag of Galactic Holding, because otherwise it's going to get a bit crowded on the Normandy.

It would have been nice to be able to use those Ship Upgrades of ME2 yourself. The Thannix gun. Having a gun turret of some kind like KotOR.. More choice, less cutscene, is always good.

And the Reapers lose because they didn't bring unlimited probes.

That might be a way to defeat them. Gather all the resources before the Reapers get them, defeat them at their own game, but first you need to find the magic Bag of Galactic Holding, because otherwise it's going to get a bit crowded on the Normandy.

Is anyone else wondering how a plot with so much potential in ME1 ended up like this?

I like some mini-games, the context switching is sometimes nice, because it break the flow and add some freedom of play. Excercising some less used brain cells. A bit of pattern recognition (like the hacking grid with blocks of text rolling by) to wake you up from the mindless tunnels where you are being herded through the game. Maybe mini-games just exists to distract you from a thin story or plot or make you forget how restrictive the game is. Maybe it's a bit too organic and erm.. educational somehow, like mental fitness, but it was kind of invigorating. The new automatic system shown in the part 2 of the demo of ME3, where you just let the hand do the talking and wait.. seems a bit too passive.

Mini games were avoidable in Kotor?! Since when?!

What does that have to do with anything? It's not like it was a problem for the Collectors in the ME2 intro.

If you sit back and think about scaling on the galaxy map, you will hopefully realise how, ahem, ill-thought-of your complaint was.

Just in case you don't, I'll save myself the trouble of coming back later and saying: WELL UNLESS THEY CAN ****ING SHOOT AT YOU FROM HALF A SOLAR SYSTEM AWAY, THEY HAVE TO "AQUIRE" YOU FIRST, AND THE ****ING ICON ON THE GALAXY MAP IS THE SIZE OF THE ****ING SUN. CAN YOU DO THE ****ING MATH?!

Jesus.

I mean, really, aren't there enough actual problems with the game without having to pull idiotic crap like that out of your ass and pretend like it's some design error?!

ASKDJALSDJ

Edited by Nepenthe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb_WX_Osgk4&

yeah. Don't know what to say yet.

...This is retarded.

Whoever got the idea of turning the galaxy map into a stupid mini-game with a little toy ship you move around the galaxy well should be fired. Way to kill the immersion, morons.

Gosh, the ME1 galaxy map was so nice and beautiful. What the **** were they thinking?

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Looked pretty much like that in ME2

And it was ****ty in ME2, as well.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Mini games were avoidable in Kotor?! Since when?!

What does that have to do with anything? It's not like it was a problem for the Collectors in the ME2 intro.

If you sit back and think about scaling on the galaxy map, you will hopefully realise how, ahem, ill-thought-of your complaint was.

Just in case you don't, I'll save myself the trouble of coming back later and saying: WELL UNLESS THEY CAN ****ING SHOOT AT YOU FROM HALF A SOLAR SYSTEM AWAY, THEY HAVE TO "AQUIRE" YOU FIRST, AND THE ****ING ICON ON THE GALAXY MAP IS THE SIZE OF THE ****ING SUN. CAN YOU DO THE ****ING MATH?!

Jesus.

I mean, really, aren't there enough actual problems with the game without having to pull idiotic crap like that out of your ass and pretend like it's some design error?!

ASKDJALSDJ

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Actually, I meant the stuff around 2:30 in the video, so basically "map of solar system" instead of "galaxy map". Sorry.

Ok, now you're just doing it on purpose.

You know guys, what most cracks me up here is that when I actually criticise an aspect of Bioware games, multiple people leap up in its defense. ;)

fanboys.jpg

That soundtrack snip you posted does sound reminiscing of ME1. I didn't know the soundtrack in ME2 had drawn flak. I mean, not in a magnitude that could be discernible from the general background whining, anyway. Shame they are going back on that.

As for minigames, meh. The hacking and stuff were ok and meshed well with mission gameplay, but the mining was a total chore. After the first playthrough, I just cheated in enough minerals to forget about the whole thing. Good thing too, I don't think I could have played through the game more than once otherwise.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

That soundtrack snip you posted does sound reminiscing of ME1. I didn't know the soundtrack in ME2 had drawn flak. I mean, not in a magnitude that could be discernible from the general background whining, anyway. Shame they are going back on that.

See, that's the problem when everybody feels they have to think up a new aspect of every Bioware game to whine about. They drown out any real, fixable problems in the game, thus resulting in the over-exposure the creepy digital romance nuts get on the "positive feedback" side. Or give us super hammerhead brothers missions, ffs.