Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Editions Announced

Lorfean

I wish for a game with the Rolemaster rule set.

You attempt to run, fail, roll bad on the critical failure table, and die. That's Rolemaster in essence, a series of unfortunate failures at mundane moments when you least expect it. Made some of the greatest and funniest moment of my PNP history, but would absolutely suck for a PC game. Edited by trulez

I wish for a game with the Rolemaster rule set.

You attempt to run, fail, roll bad on the critical failure table, and die. That's Rolemaster in essence, a series of unfortunate failures at mundane moments when you least expect it. Made some of the greatest and funniest moment of my PNP history, but would absolutely suck for a PC game.

I played RM for a decade, and I can't recall dying while running. Most of the time our DM wouldn't deem it necessary to create a skill challenge out of something so simple. Sounds like your DM didn't have a very firm grasp on the rule set.

If you play the classic RM system (1'st ed.) and limit yourselves to the basic rules and Player Companion I, you'll find that it's an exceedingly much simpler system than say.. D&D 4'ed. Maybe I'm sentimental and biased because RM was the first PnP -system I played, but I'm convinced that anyone who gives RM a wholehearted attemt will find it much more exciting, simple and realistic than the later D&D editions.

I think it would rock for crpgs, since all the time-consuming stuff like looking up critical tables etc. would be implemented and calculated instantly.

J.

I totally agree with Junai. Rolemaster is a system where you can pick the rules that suit you the best, depending on your taste. It may be a pain in PnP without a lot of practice because of all the tables, but in a cRPG, this issue disappears.

Haven't played Rolemaster, but my friends who have say that it's a very fun system, provided you ignore all the rules.

Personally, I'm intimidated by all those tables.

In other related news, I'm probably going to buy the Enchanced Editions, although I'm not holding my breath.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

"Rolemaster is a system where you can pick the rules that suit you the best, depending on your taste."

So... it works like DnD and any other pnp system taht ever existed? okay then.

More seriously, I've played RM. It's fun, and it works like any other. Good stuff bad stuff, it's all cool.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I played RM for a decade, and I can't recall dying while running. Most of the time our DM wouldn't deem it necessary to create a skill challenge out of something so simple. Sounds like your DM didn't have a very firm grasp on the rule set.
Really ? That's your argument, that in your games running didn't need rolling ?

Here's my revised assertion then:

"You attempt to do an action requiring a dice roll, fail, roll bad on the critical failure table, and die. That's Rolemaster in essence, a series of unfortunate failures when you least expect it. Made some of the greatest and funniest moment of my PNP history, but would absolutely suck for a PC game."